US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I know how you feel.  Got a few flites in today just before the next snowstorm is about to hit.  I gotta get my new Fokker D VIII up this Spring.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

the D VII is the biplane.......is the D VIII the mono?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yup!  And I don't have a photo yet (always taken before the maiden flite).  I've got the D-VII kit awaiting my release from shipyard duty!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

you have my E-mail.........send me a peek! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Don't hold your breath.  I've got 4 new ones I haven't flown yet.  I need the perfect day, the perfect wind, the moon in the right phase......HAHAHAHAHA.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

So...let's see.. the moon has to be in the 7th house and Jupiter aligned with Mars?  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   Then we get to sing along also.   :P 

Ok..I recall the Eindecker, the D-VII and and DR-I....didn't know there was a D-VIII.  NM, just found it with a quick Google.  The DR-1 was always my favorite but a bit too skittish for my taste. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I want the Dr 1........there was the D series,  and an F series......both of these designs was done on the D VII and Dr 1.  the only real difference was with the ailerons and stabilizers.  the endecker  came out shortly after the D VIII.  the Germans were experimenting with single wing construction.......the D VIII  had the wing fixed over the fusalage, strutted and cabained,  and the Endecker had the wing fixed into the top section of the fusalage.......that is,  if my memory serves me correctly...

I built a D VIII back in the 70's   Guillow's has a nice one.  this was my best flyer.......rubber powered.  it had the habit though of prolonged gliding,  after the rubber was done.........I always had to chase it.  I was living in Florida at the time.

the most memorable flight was also the most funniest!   it flew until the rubber died......and then it glided into a marshy field bordered off with barbed wire.  then it veered to the right,  and went into another marshy field....bordered off with barbed wire.  I had to wade through waist high saw grass and scrug bushes to get it......not to mention the barbed wire.

I came out of there with the plane to meet up with this old guy,  telling me I shouldn't go out there again.....the area was loaded with gators and snakes!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mark, I am disappointed in you! Isn't this a ship forum? and what we are talking about here? :dancetl6:

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I'm like Sjors...........pictures........pictures........pictures......PLEASE!!!    I love eye candy@!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What do I read now….

Is this a building forum for ships or planes or stars????????

If anyone knows, please give me the answer…...

Sjors

Thanks Robert and Grant.  Your good wishes are a shot in the arm.

Now, as for SJORS.  You, sir, are photo-happy.  You want pictures of everything!  If I say I had ham and eggs for breakfast can't you just believe me and not ask for a picture of the dirty plate?????????  You need to understand that, at the height of the conflagration, so much steam filled the room (from coming out of my ears) that photo documentation was all but impossible.

Augie,

Correct me if I'm wrong….

You had Ham and eggs for breakfast and it don't taste….

So you trow the dirty plate to the room and it hits the bowsprit.

When that happened you see the kettle boiling at the stove and there was coming steam out of it.

Because you where so angry that you thought that is comes right out of your ears.

And because you where afraid of damaging your camera, you don't make pictures…..

Make this any sense???????????

Sjors

Sjors is right.....we have to get back on point.   Until the next mid-course correction comes up  :P  :P .

I hereby certify, under penalty of law, to have a bona fide, ship-related, photographic update posted within the next 59 hours.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

You two are an absolute riot.  OK, ok, I'll go put in ANOTHER 4 hours :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sjors---- I am happy to report the next update has been completed ----- AHEAD of schedule.  I have to wait for the camera shop to develop the film.  May post by tomorrow.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey Augie.......  What is film?????????? :huh: ?

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Guys,

I just hope the update is going to about a ship, but aircraft is good and I also like the ref to music, I also like the recipey section,  so much to choose from and so little time.

Keep it going guys , it's wonderfull.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey Augie, good fix mate.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks, Mobbsie.  Yes, it will be about a ship :D

Don't tell me you missed the episode on animal life?????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

can't wait to see your progress,  Augie...........hmmmmmmmm.....eye candy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thought I'd stop in and see what you were up to since you have so graciously been commenting on my builds.  Beautiful work.  I'm with Popeye I can't wait to see more.  To bad I missed the plane talk.  I used to build rubber band ones as a kid.  Couldn't ever get the Guillows to work though.  Probably lack of actual model plane glue.  I better stop wouldn't want Floyd or Sjors to yell at me.   ;)

Can we have a drum roll.........please!!!!

The standing rigging has been completed !!!!   :)  :) :)                                    :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic 

In spite of a few ham-handed mishaps (see 'where the he_ _ did the Martingale go'),  I think it went well.  She is really taking on some character.  For the very first time, she looks better in person than i the photos.  But with Sjors looking on, ya gotta have pics.  Let me know what you think as I take a break for a day or two to shovel out from the in-process blizzard:

post-56-0-09509500-1362842783_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-61058300-1362842852_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-26491300-1362842895_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-62019000-1362842953_thumb.jpg

I am happy with the bowsprit as, just a few days ago, it looked like an explosion in a rubber band factory.  I need to complement designer Chuck Passaro (again) for not only the intricacy of the layout but also for taking the time to explain everything so clearly in his Practicum.  THANKS CHUCK!

post-56-0-14000700-1362843053_thumb.jpg

And here's my favorite shot :)

post-56-0-20241800-1362843327_thumb.jpg

OK, it's time to do some 'yardwork' and get the spars and yards together.  I'm thinking I will leave them in a natural finish but not decided yet.  After adding the dimensions of length and height into the ship, I look forward to now providing width :D  :D 

Finally, thanks to everyone here on MSW for providing advice, encouragement and positive thoughts (you too, Sjors).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow! How many Clove Hitches is that? Very nice. You should be proud.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hello Augie,

As requested. 16.gif

Congratulations on a job well done.

You've earned to have a break now. But please, no more than two days.

Take care,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo