US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Great work!  Well done sir.  Oh and don't get lost in the snow it's crazy out there.  Think I'll stay in where it's warm with a cup of cocoa and a ship to build. hot-chocolate.gif

post-307-0-24512900-1362847954.gif

Simply fantastic there Augie, well done reaching that milestone, you must be very proud on how she has worked out.

Chuck must feel like a proud father with such a beautiful example of his design being built.

Ben

I'll bet you had a lot of fun with the bowsprit !!   Man, that really looks good Augie. Super job all the way around. You'er

fortunate to have had Chuck write  the rigging instructions, most of these kit instructions are a joke. Don't mess up your back shoveling snow !! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Holy cow ...... MSW is on fire today.  Thanks Sjors and Bob.

Foremast -- no sails for me.  As beautiful as they can be, I greatly prefer the clean look on a model.

Floyd ---- I lost count after 500

Anja ---- thanks for approving my vacation request

Thanks, Robert!

Dan and Frank --- I don't sweat the snow.  Had my backbone fused with $80,000 worth of titanium just for the occasion

Ben ----- Chuck must have a HUGE family by now.

And ANDY- stop pulling my leg.  You can handle the rigging.  Rumour has it even you-know-who can do it (but I've yet to see photos).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie great job of remembering,I looked at the parts I've done and say to myself did I do that I dont remember.

Beautiful work your a pro. Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Ahoy Augie

Beauiful work, Congratz,

Following your build has been inspiring. Looking forward to seeing her in all her glory.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

great job on the standing rigging.......she looks superb!  I hope my build {when I get to it} looks as good as your does!  we just had our storm.......thursday into friday.......crappy, yucky wet snow.   one good thing though.......it will be spring soon :)   we have a couple nice day ahead of us,  so most of it is pretty much gone now.......I think we have rain for tuesday.   thanks again for those pictures......you build planes with just as much love as you build your ships..........simply superb workmanship!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Bob.  Roger that ---- even though the blizzard fizzled :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thank you, Sketch.  Me too!  Probably 3 months out.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Fantastic....post-76-0-69747500-1362903616.gif Stupendous...post-76-0-09754400-1362903676.gifpost-76-0-09754400-1362903676.gif  Wonderful..... post-76-0-47837100-1362903677.gif  Great job on the rigging.  post-76-0-20177100-1362903678.gif  

Sorry... had to catch up with everyone else... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The standing rigging looks fantastic. It always feels like a huge accomplishment, huh? 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Congratulations Augie on reaching this significant milestone. I also shared this achievement tonight! Let's party!!!

You folks are killing me with the superlatives.  But thanks to all as yes, we ALL deserve to sit back and smile once in a while and take off the magnifiers.  And I look forward to sharing that same feeling when everyone else here reaches their milestones.......CONGRATULATIONS GRANT!!!!!!

I trust that, oneday, even you-know-who reaches a milestone.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Mark has found them!

I think from a different place:  http://smileys.smilchat.net/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am just catching up with your build log. Excellent job on the standing rigging!! I can't even imaging how that must feel . . . I am still struggling with chapter 9 (I believe)  ;)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hey Augie,

Finally got my Syren.  Finished chapter one (the dust is rising over Pikes Peak) and decided I had better start a log. 

As a newbie, I looked at your log to see how one should be set up.   Well, an hour later and I'm no closer to getting my log started 'cuz I've been completely absorbed by the details in your's.  Magnificent work!  If I lived a bit further up the Front Range, I'd volunteer to be your riggers mate, just to learn some techniques. 

Eric

Eric O.<p>Current Build: US Brig Syren, kit

Your going to do just fine, Eric.  When MSW 1.0 went down, it took with it a vast summary of Syren experience along with everything else.  There are some logs back, but without the original narratives a lot is now unexplained.  Hook up with the other Syren builders --- or they'll find you as soon as your log is up.  If you have any problems, just sing out.  Don't forget Chuck himself is the big Honcho around here and he won't let you get far afield  :)

Check out RustyJ's Syren log.  His was a scratch build but, unlike me, he knows what he's doing!!!

Looking forward to your log!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I am just catching up with your build log. Excellent job on the standing rigging!! I can't even imaging how that must feel . . . I am still struggling with chapter 9 (I believe)  ;)

Thomas

Thomas---  Chapter 9 is FUN!!!!!!  The hull details really bring her alive.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Time for just a quick update.

I've begun on Chapter 19, Yard Construction and Running Rigging, by fabricating the boom and gaff for the mainmast.  I've decided to use the yards with a natural finish rather than painting them black.  I'll be using the usual 40/60 mix of Minwax Golden Oak and Natural stain (overcoated with Floquil Clear Glaze) throughout.  The 'poor man's lathe' ---- electric drill was used for shaping.

All required blocks have been attached and the parrels blackened using Blacken-it. The simulated iron bands around these pieces was done with 1/16" black tape painted with Testors Dullcoat. 

Wow----that took longer to say than it did to do!!!!  Anyhow, I'm ready to install these on board so that will be the next update.

post-56-0-86624700-1363189301_thumb.jpg

PS-  Flying season has begun in earnest.  So I'm putting you-know-who on notice that pictures shall not be falling from the sky like confetti  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976