US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I still want the nose.........I believe their still giving .50 cents for them   {fish and game}

don't feel bad sherry...........I don't eat venison either.......my borther does..........now I know why we never saw a sequel to  'Bambie' !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Oh heavens........you ate our groundhog!!!!! 

Dang it! Now I'm gonna have to find another groundhog....

You got anything against eatin' albino ones? Or at least pasty white coloured ones.....(that overgrown rat was wrong too....) :P

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

heck,  I remember the year he turned around and bit the handler......LOL   albino ones............hmmmmmmm,  that might even get me a whole dollar!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Go ahead...if you like the taste of fishy chicken with a hint of old rubber boot....at least what I imagine a rubber boot would taste like. (shudders at the thought)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hey Augie, way back on page one you mention a planking jig that you found invaluable. Care to share a little more detail? Planking is in my very near future and I can already feel the sweat breaking on my brow.

Page 1 was back in the Stone Age.  I had to go back myself and see what I might have said!!

The plank bending jig is depicted at the bottom of page 18 in Chuck's Practicum.  It is simply a board onto which is transferred the outline of the hull as viewed from directly overhead.  So you are looking down at the curvature of the bow through midships.  Along that curve I set in nails every inch or so protected with the shrink wrapping they use on wires (heat shrinkable).  That wrap keeps to nails from discoloring your planking.  You might want to lay in 2 parallel rows of nails so the planks are held firmly.

Once you have your plank spiled and ready to go, you soak it until pliable and set it, on edge, along the curvature of the nails.  Let it dry WELL and when you take it off it will hold the curve.  Then, with a few final adjusments and sanding, it will fall right in place on your hull.  By applying it after it has dried, it will not shrink after it is glued on the hull.  If you don't use the jig and simply glue a wet plank in place it will shrink and leave unsightly gaps which can be murder on a single planked hull (especially up here at Mile Hi where the humidity is usually VERY low.

Sounds complicated but one look at the photo in the manual gives you the idea.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

OK, time for an update. 

The running rigging, up through the addition of the yards, has been completed :) .  Basically we're talking stays and halliards.  I apologize for the photos as it's seemingly impossible to get the right background to show what's going on.  The rope coils on the finished lines are in place.

post-56-0-19352300-1364314434_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-48614100-1364314480_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-81102600-1364314544_thumb.jpg

Will now be moving on to the YARDwork, which I hope will go as well as mast construction.  I may need to take a break to do some real yardwork like planting tomatoes simultaneously.  This will at least beat shoveling snow in between stropping blocks.

This next phase will take a while so stay the course 'til I return!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The plank bending jig is depicted at the bottom of page 18 in Chuck's Practicum.  It is simply a board onto which is transferred the outline of the hull as viewed from directly overhead.

Thanks Augie.  Sorry to make you write all that.  I thought you had some extra secret Chuck jig. ;)

I've read the pinned planking tutorials once.  When I get closer to the big day, I'll read them again - and again.

Can you put a few planks in the jig?  Or do you make several jigs?  Seems that if you wait for each plank to dry, this would be a very long process.

I'm really enjoying your log Augie.  The rigging looks fantastic.  I'm looking forward to that phase.  All of the the sudden it starts looking like a real sailing ship.

Eric O.<p>Current Build: US Brig Syren, kit

superb work Augie.......man.......your ship is a beaut!  I'll look forward in seeing the yard work......after you've done your yard work! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Augie,

Your build is amazing. I wish we could post higher res photos to see the details better, but I know thats a cost and performance restraint.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

ERIC-  I recall that I got 2-3 planks in the jig at a time.  Since you're bending basically just the 1st and maybe second plank in each run (assuming your using 25 foot planks scaled down), you get into a sequence of bending, drying, actual planking  and you just roll along, mass production style.  Hope that makes sense.

For every curved plank at the bow, you're going to be laying 3 or 4 more almost straight ones as you work toward the stern (or vice versa).  So you are not soaking every plank and putting it in the jig to dry.  Also, working on both sides at the same time gives you plenty of time to let planks dry.  Unless you're going to plank the whole hull in one day :D  :D .

It makes sense once you start.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Anja, Popeye , Robert and Larry. 

Bob-    We all know that every ship model comes out uniquely.  I think we have Chuck's, RustyJ's and now yours reposted (or being reposted) either in the forum or Gallery.  Each is different and reflects the outlook, personality and expertise of the indivdual builder .  They are all worth following.  It's a shame we lost much of the narrative but that's water under the bridge.  Your re-post highlights the use of alternate woods in portions of the build which is just fantastic.  I hope Roger continues with his scaled-up, all natural finish version as well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie - I wouldn't worry about losing narrative. With 22 pages on this log you have done a masterful job of making up for the loss. :cheers:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Augie

i love the last couple of phots you posted, she looks very nice.

i think it is about time we all posted whole build phots so in a year or so time we came see what stage we were at now, i have hardly answered any of my posts, still back now

sorry i have not been so active for the last 6 months or so, all the RL things getting in the way, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Augie,

Two things….

First you are doing a great job at the rigging.

Second….for the background you can use a white sheet.

Just place it behind the ship and then take your pictures.

Or if you have one , a white wall.

Just try it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Augie,

I'm just now catching up.  Good to see some wonderful progress.  I'll forgo the ground groundhog... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all again.  Yes, there's a lot of hot air on this log.  But hey, we're having fun and that's what this is about.

SJORS-  Yes, I guess I'll go with white in the future.  Just couldn't see the running rigging at all with that.

Charge up the drill mate-----there be yards to shape ! :dancetl6:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Actually Augie I use a pale Blue sheet for photo work. It helps you see the light color items and it still works as a useful back drop. In fact I went to the local fabric store and bought a yard or 2 and ironed to take out the creases (well the admiral ironed it). and I keep it in my shop just for that purpose. Particularly when we are having a local club meeting I hang it up so we have a back drop for all the photos of everyone progress. You can also do this with Contruction paper. It is nto expensive and works very well.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Sherry :)

That's a good thought Floyd.  I tried a medium blue and it didn't work.  I'll bring in the Base Commander.....she has a mountain of fabrics on 'her side' of the shop.  But first I need her to embroider a tiny flag for my baby :rolleyes:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice Augie, the standing rigging looks just great !!  It's going to be a beauty!!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Excellent work!  She's really coming together.  

Hey Augie, your rigging is looking great! I have found that using a dark colored sheet as a backdrop helps the tan lines stand out more. Keep up the rigging please so I can follow along with my own.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne