HMS Bounty by Navis Factorem - FINISHED - Amati - 1:60

like just like in your pictures........nice work David!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

nice progress David  :)  I´d like to know how did you curve the black beam on bow? On the picture. 

I have two ideas how to do this. First one is that i take togehter some parts and than cut it to right shape. Or curve planks with iron.  

Thanks Pavel

post-588-0-06876300-1369046893_thumb.jpg

Edited by klimi

The capping piece is quite thin so I shaped it out of some of the left over ply from the laser cut parts. The piece that surrounded the false deck had almost the right curve.

Cheers.

Previous Builds:  Port Jackson Schooner  Modellers Shipyard 1:50

HMS Bounty  Amati 1:60

HMS Surprise Timber Scratch Build 1:75

Current Build:    HMS Bellona Timber Scratch Build 1:75

there is a lot of useful wood in the cast off stuff........I save all of it.   in making a certain part,  I can also look at the punch outs as well.  a part from another kit,  may have the general shape your looking for......with only minor modification,  of course.   I can even create different hulls,  using them as templates.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Rigging tool.

At some point in the rigging process I guess all modellers wonder if there is a better way than poking around with a couple of pairs of long nose tweezers of threading cord around belaying pins, particularly the bit of the pin below the rack. I found the tweezer approach very frustrating so had a think about the problem and realized what was needed was a gadget to push the cord into place and control where it went.

I use cut off sewing needles on a dowel to place CA where I want it, 2 different needle sizes for different amounts of glue. I cut off the eye of the needle leaving only a small "V". I find this works very well.

I'm sure many of you use similar methods but maybe this little bit of info may help someone who, like me, is still learning some basic techniques.

The Bounty is the first bit of serious rigging that I have done so I am learning a lot and still have lots to find out.

So the rigging tool. Almost the same as the CA tool but with the eye of a largish needle cut off leaving a bit longer of a "V". Fixed into the end of a bit of 4mm dowel about 200mm long it works a treat. Hold the end of the thread somewhere near where the tying is to occur, catch the thread in the tool and push it around the belaying pin. I wish I thought of this one many pins ago! Better late than never.

Cheers.

post-984-0-22346500-1369286669_thumb.jpg

Rigging tool.

post-984-0-24203000-1369286663_thumb.jpg

Makes tying these much easier.

Love that picture........nice shot of the decking :)    nice detail on the cannon!   that's a very resorceful tool.....get a patent on that quick!! ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update on the running rig progress. It's been 5 weeks since I posted pics of the foremast rig done and I have now completed the main mast rig.

When I started the running rig I had no idea how long it was going to take and I am quite surprised at how long it is taking. Good fun though, there's been quite a learning curve as to what the ropes do and where they go. As for other aspects of the build, by the time I'm finished I might have worked it out.

I have been thinkig more about my next build and a late 18th century British frigate is looking good. The rig looks to be a larger version of the Bounty so I should be able to put into practice what I've learnt and do a better job of it.

HMS Surprise is still the emotional favourite. I rather like the idea of starting off with the Mamoli kit which looks fairly basic and should give plenty of opportunity for creativity. It's also a good size being smaller than the AL or Caldercraft frigates which I find a bit too big. Almost 1,200mm long is way too big for my modest abode and the spaces I have to display in.

post-984-0-47193400-1370940057_thumb.jpg post-984-0-35271100-1370940071_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-78156500-1370940044_thumb.jpg post-984-0-76385800-1370940039_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-78474100-1370940050_thumb.jpg post-984-0-63468600-1370940065_thumb.jpg

David......she looks fantastic!   your rigging is so neatly done.   so,  does this mean that the Bounty is finished?.....if so,  congrats!   I couldn't help but notice........is that a piece of tape on the rudder?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree that the rigging looks great. That it took longer than you thought it would is not as important though. What really matters is that you have made a great achievement.

Russ

Still quite a bit of the rig to go. So far I have rigged 6 spars on the fore and main masts leaving the spritsail yard, and all the mizzen spars, topsail and spanker, 4 more spars in all. Then all the finishing bits. Rope coils. stern lanterns, and I must have a go at the stern decorations, sometimes called "hair curlers". The Amati kit doesn't mention these so some research will be needed. Perhaps i should sub-contract them out to Janos, he would certainly do them justice.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

David.

It is a piece of tape on the rudder, well spotted. The rudder is hung on pin and pintol hinges which means that it falls off when bumped from below. Something which happens pretty regularly when moving the model around to get at all those hard to reach places where knots have to be tied.

I keep forgetting to remove it when taking photos.

Cheers,

David.

David-

I'm at about the same point in my build.  Your rigging looks magnificent.  Good job!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 4 weeks later...

Rigging progress.

Mizzen running rig complete, now for the sprit sail.

Almost done.

After a bit of a shaky start I have really enjoyed the rigging process.

I am trying photographing against a blue background, I think it reduces the contrast and makes the different coloured cords easier to see.

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-80283000-1373100625_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-55651400-1373100655_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-58771900-1373100595_thumb.jpg

she looks great David.........you've done such a superb job with the rigging  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Running rig update.

With the spritsail yard fitted and rigged the spars are now all in place.

Now for the staysail running rigging, The Amati kit describes some of the rigging for the foreward stay sails on the bowsprit and jibboom but doesn't mention the other staysails between the masts. Details for these can be found in McKay and Lennarth Peterssen but I have a bit of a problem with where the ropes are going to land on the deck. I have just about run out of belaying pins and rack space. The pin racks were installed fairly early in the build and I hadn't done enough forward planning to pick up the problem.  

Not too sure what to do!

I think i will fit the rigging for the foreward staysails where I have available belaying pins and give the rest a miss. 

A more complete rig is something to look forward to in the next build.

I still have a few small details to complete such as the stern lanterns.

I am going on holiday next week so there will be a bit of a gap in progress for about 5 weeks.  

Cheers,

David.

post-984-0-36963700-1373441534_thumb.jpg                      post-984-0-48284100-1373441513_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-58907300-1373441520_thumb.jpg                      post-984-0-71060500-1373441527_thumb.jpg              post-984-0-37307700-1373441507_thumb.jpg

I can understand where your coming from......I'm beginning to set up the Gothenborg,  so I dont have to do any tedious work down the road.   I know that's a joke...:)    some folks have added cleats to their shroud rigging,  but this is not an option,  since these sails use the standing rigging as their anchor.    the  'haul line'  termination points would locate in the center of the ship.   adding in a termination point now would be quite dangerous......so perhaps tying them off at the belaying pin rail and adding an extra rope coil might be the only option at this point.

I hope someone a bit more experienced can tell you better.    your Bounty is a real beauty! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

Outstanding David, really looks nice.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

the Bounty  MUST be in the gallery by now.............are you finished yet? :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Construction took a break over winter as some travelling occurred but back into some finishing touches over the last few weeks and now pretty much complete.

Next is a base and a perspex case.

post-984-0-39567600-1382009305_thumb.jpg post-984-0-54605500-1382009320_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-84664000-1382009333_thumb.jpg post-984-0-41053900-1382009369_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-95496900-1382009940_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-30030500-1382009313_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-51708300-1382009327_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-58288700-1382009933_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-75352900-1382009340_thumb.jpg post-984-0-46792700-1382009299_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on a great model. It is really beautiful. Well done.

Russ

congrats on a really fine build.........you've done a superb job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Now to decide what to build next.

HMS Surprise of "Master and Commander" fame is the emotional favourite, I have just started re-reading the books. This time around I am taking more time digesting the fine nuances. I read with the trusty smart phone by my side with google readily available to look up all those obscure terms and to translate the Latin bits to English, all very entertaining.

Still not sure how to approach the Surprise build.

The big 1:48 kits don't appeal, they're just too big as a finished product. The 1:72 Mamoli is attractive, big enough to include plenty of detail and should lend itself to plenty of scratch building to bring up the detail. I will have a look at this kit before I finally decide.

Cheers.

Just beautiful work - clean, crisp and precise. I'd really like to see a more detailed log.

I can recommend Amati Fly or Pegasus - enhanced by the massive research in the TFFM volumes and practised by the builders here. Or go offline a bit and do a xebec? Can't remember the O'Brien book but Aubrey's fight with a Spanish xebec was one of the best sequences in the series in my memory - and yes, I've read them all...

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll make good of it.

Cheers

Alistair

P.S. New Zealand watches, worries and cares about the fires in NSW. I hope you are in a safe place.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)