HMS Warrior by StuartC - Billing Boats - 1:100 - started 1/1/2014

Stuart

Well going to jump in on this one and tell a little story and share a few pics. I"m not posting a few pics off the outsides of the complete ship, HMS Warrior. I will another day if you want.

Time 2004 my wife and I went to Paris, France and saw a lot of stuff. Next stop was London where we rented a car and headed South to Portsmouth. Made a large mistake. We were hungry. Saw a Little Chef and thought can't be that bad, well it turned the stomach bad, more on that later. Checked into our B&B on Portsmouth Point. Nice Place, nice people. Had a morning appointment to tour the inside on the HMS Victory one on one with a guide. Special extra cost, yes. At that time you could not take pics inside or on the HMS Victory. This one on one tour allowed it as long as they were personal use pics.

Ok, back to the HMS Warrior part. Got our folding bikes out of the car biked over to the docks and such. Took a few pics of the HMS Warrior and HMS Victory. Went to the shop saw the HMS Warrior model that William Mowell had made. Super nice to see after you have read and reviewed his book, "Building a Working Model Warship". Like the real thing, working steam engines and such. Really need to review the book. I have not read it in around ten years of course. Well we saw a fish and chips store and got some and sat down at the docks to eat and look at the ships, etc. Well got to be time to head back and on the way back my wife got sick. A "light" case of food poisoning, we think. She was sitting and throwing till around 3:00 in the morning. I started in around 2:00 in the morning. Of course this canceled the HMS Victory tour that was very important to me. After we got up later that day we toured the HMS Warrior where the diesel fumes did not set well. Finally did get to take a regular tour of the HMS Victory towards the end of the day. After which we drove up to London for a few days. Got to see a lot of great ship models there also.

Any rate on with the picture show. If this is to much in your build thread let me know and I'll take it down.

Later Tim

post-557-0-15094200-1392423620_thumb.jpg

myself and the HMS Warrior model

post-557-0-67345700-1392423631_thumb.jpg

Decks that they were working on

post-557-0-86119600-1392423673_thumb.jpg

my wife and the decks and mast (she was still under the weather)

post-557-0-51989900-1392423702_thumb.jpg

Mast

post-557-0-51377800-1392423751_thumb.jpg

gun deck

post-557-0-60126000-1392423764_thumb.jpg

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

That´s huge! Loved the scale of the build. Best luck and I´ll be following. ^^

Hello Stuart

I just found your log. It's all looking good, and is certainly a big ship. I well remember the total restoration of the Warrior itself in the old coal dock in Hartlepool , which lasted about 7 years. Keep up the good work and enjoy it.... Regards DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hiya Stuart. I'm looking into investing in this one myself.

I lived in Portsmouth for a few months back in 2011 and she was moored right next to GunWharf, used to walk right past her three times a week. She was an impressive looking ship, one of the nicer merging of steam and sail.

Look forward to seeing you progress. Are you planing on weathering the deck to look the colour as she is now or leaving it similar to the ebay photo's model ?

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Stuart,

a great build and a pleasure to watch your log, shall stay tuned

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Dominic,

I haven't thought about the finish of the deck at all yet, as I decided to put off laying that until I had completed the hull.

However as you will see below I have now filled, sanded and primed the upper part of the hull. The reason for this is I have decided to fill all the gun ports, not leave them empty as the kit would have me do.

I have made a test barrel simulating the Armstrong 110pdr breech loading guns, I based the dimensions of this barrel on the brass versions provided with the kit for the upper deck. 

Having decided to arm her, I thought it best to get the upper sanding and priming done now, so that I wouldn't knock all the barrels out again, if I did it later.

As you may have guessed, there isn't a definitive plan for the build, it is tending towards the "suck it and see" method. :)

post-751-0-69498300-1393176943_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-48917500-1393176951_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-90143600-1393176958_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am quite envious.....such a huge build! I wish I had taken the offer I got when it first came out {deal price}.....but it was still too expensive for my blood :( your doing a superb job so far Stewart! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Like most of us following this excellent log, I was always frustrated by the lack of actual images Billings released of the Warrior. One measly promo image by Billings doesn’t really give us the detail we want to see. Anyway browsing through MSW today I saw a thread on the Nurnberg Toy Fair 2014 with a whole lot of (untitled) completed build shots of kits from companies like Corel and Billings and sure enough there are a couple of the Warrior

These really do give an idea of scale and size (although we all know we will need big shelves for this kit!).

Anyway for those interested I have pasted the link to the index of the photos below. The main Warrior shot is 8 down from right hand corner and then the bow shot is two along from that

Best wishes to all, Bettina

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_imagebrowser&view=gallery&folder=nuernberg2014-div&Itemid=55

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stuart,

I've sent you a couple of photos I took during a recent visit to HMS Warrior. Apart from the mustard orange coloured mast, one of the most notable colours was the bleached timber deck; almost an MDF grey colour. Can you let us know if the kit tries to replicate this? If it doesn't, does anybody know what would be a suitable timber to approximate this?

Glyn

Incidentally I've placed an order for my kit but it won't be available until mid March.

Just a note on this the Current decking Of Warrior is teak.  it is the second deck to have been laid since her restoration in the mid 1980s.  but this is not the timber she originally would have had.  the teak is laid because it is cost effective in terms of life expectancy.

Warrior originally had deck timbers made of fir.

Edited by Jase

Current Builds

San Francisco II 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get back to work on her. As you can see I've now completed the starboard side planking, and just about there on the port side. Thanks everybody for the interest shown, it's been a surprise as to how much motivation it gives you. :)

Lots of filling and sanding to come next.

post-751-0-86398700-1403468024_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-16272900-1403468040_thumb.jpg

that is one sweet looking hull..........man,  I wish I had the cash!  :)         very nice looking planking job.......well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Peeps,

Good progress this week. The hull is now painted and I have fitted the propeller (temporary push fit). The propeller provided with the kit conforms to the actual thing, However I would really like to fit one made of brass, I do not have the facilities, knowledge, etc to cast one myself, and the only thing I can find on line are modern props that just do not look right. The prop I have now is 70mm, I thought of buying a larger model in brass and filing it down to the correct look. However (again) the largest I could find was 72mm, and that does not give me enough wiggle room. Any suggestions?

post-751-0-93130000-1404677896_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-26054100-1404677907_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-44091000-1404677916_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-93580800-1404677927_thumb.jpg

Edited by StuartC

I am sorry I missed this log.  It has been many years since i have seen this baby built.  I think I will take a seat and learn some more.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Brian - It's brush painted, but I have also sprayed the red section with a coat of clear lacquer to give it some protection. I must hold my hand up though, and admit the the white stripe is car detailing tape. It does not matter how many times I have tried, I just cannot paint it by hand.

PS. A big thank you to everybody who has sent pictures of the real Warrior, it is a big help to be able to go over the details from various angles. :cheers:

looking sweet Stuart.....great looking paint job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: