Shenandoah 1864 by SGraham - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:50 - American Civil War-era Cutter

Nice work on the companionways, Steve.  I like the effect of the slats and the rails.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here is a pair of doors on the companionway. They're supposed to stick up slightly over the top of the companionway in order to seal with the sliding hatch cover. I tried to file in a raised panel in the center of each door. Next comes the hatch cover that rides on the rails. Thanks for looking.

Steve

post-7293-0-11577900-1406563427_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-16963600-1406563435_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-62615000-1406563445_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Hi Steve, It's all about having Fun, The Companionway look's great . Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Rudder looks good and your work on the companion way is over the top, looks really fine.  Your craftsman's ship shines, I really like the mixture of woods your using.

J

Thanks Pete and J. Here's the last of the companionway shots, I promise. I made the sliding hatch cover out of ebony. It looks black in the pics, but it's really dark brown. It has shellac on it that's rubbed out with steel wool, but I might sand it again and leave it bare wood. All I have left to do on this piece is a handle for the hatch.

Steve

post-7293-0-91638000-1406573665_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-25229700-1406573674_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-09461200-1406573686_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-57504900-1406573697_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Very nice looking!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice work Steve , The entire boat looks really clean

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Jesse and Pete. I appreciate it. I'm trying to decide right now whether or not to put some camber in the cabin top. I started another thread on that and have gotten some very helpful replies already. This is a great place!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Steve,  

The details on your companionway are fabulous.  I really like the mix of stain and paint colors and materials you're using.  

As for camber on the cabin roof - If your deck has a camber, then the cabin roof should also have a camber.  Just enough so water will roll off, but not so much that everything slides off.   

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thanks Dee Dee. The deck certainly has a camber. And by everything, do you mean the ship's cat too?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks Steve. I appreciate the encouragement. Here's the deck house, planked in maple with an ebony top. This ebony top is bare wood just rubbed out with 400 grit paper and steel wool. I like this look a little better than the shinier finish on the forward companionway hatch cover. The rails are walnut and pinned on--otherwise I couldn't get them to sit up straight. I found that drilling the holes for the pins through those skinny little rails is best done SLOWLY by hand with a bit in a pin vise rather than with an electric drill. Next step is a set of doors and the companionway hatch cover. Thanks for looking.

Steve

post-7293-0-90158900-1406742820_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-06816500-1406742827_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Nicely done Steve.  What size are you starting out with your drill bit.  I usually work with a 79 then work around it.  Some cases I would use a 83.  That is for a masochist though.

David B

Thanks David. I was using a #79. The rails are a hair under 1mm thick. I'm just not used to working with such small parts. Even with magnification, it's hard to see it correctly. I have a Dremel with a flex shaft. The chuck is fairly crude and the bit shows considerable runout. By hand I was able to get better control. With the electric drill, the hard part is that fateful moment when I first hit the gas (I have a foot control). It sort of leaps into action and accuracy suffers--so do fingers sometimes.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

That is one of the reasons I shelled out for a foredom.  They have handled 80 all the time.  The fun part is getting it to sit straight.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Thanks J. David, I used a foredom way back in the day at the jewelry bench. I remember the foot pedal being very easy to control.

Here's a hatch cover on the deck house. Still to go are raised panels for the doors. Thanks for looking.

Steve

post-7293-0-03977100-1406918250_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-70812600-1406918258_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-07174400-1406918474_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Well made Steve.  I bought my Foredom many years ago when the NRG had their conference in Chicago.  I was part of the hump team or as I call it the brawn.  Heavy lifting errands and helping out the vendors.  One of them was a Jewelry Supply called Sepp Tools.  Because of the help I gave them they sold me the model they had along with the foot control.  Later I bought the drill press attachment and threw out the dremel.

David B

That sounds like a great deal, David. Does the foot control allow the foredom tool to start up very slowly? I've got a cool old foot switch, but its positions are on/off. When you step on it, the tool it's attached to leaps into life. This is not conducive to accuracy.

Steve

post-7293-0-97014200-1406931538_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Probably fewer gouges in parts as well from drill bits skipping along on their merry way.

Well, the deck houses are done. I know I've been posting a lot of pics, but please bear with me for just a couple more with the houses on the deck. I de-shined the cabin tops a little with 400 grit sand paper. From here I move on to bitts. (Sounds like I'm going to fall apart.) Thanks for looking patiently!

Steve

post-7293-0-10360500-1406937705_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-03306000-1406937730_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-15319500-1406937743_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-98424100-1406937754_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Beautiful work Steve , She's looking really good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks Pete. And Sam, I'm trying to make mortise and tenon joints on my bitts right now, after studying some of your Enterprise photos.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Fresh off the showroom floor!

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Steve,

The bitts look great.  How did you get all four sides shaped evenly?  Did you make / use a jig?

Thanks

Dee Dee 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Those deck houses- even though they are small- are beautiful works of art! Very crisp & sharp looking. I love the use of different color woods.

When I was a bench jeweler I worked with Foredom flex shafts. I would give anything to have my own now! 

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle