Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

Thank you Antony. Means a lot. Due to some life stuff I have not been able to work on mi ship as much as I would like, so progress, and thus build updates are slow. I am presently working on the second planking above the wales. As soon as there is some advance worth of showing, I will post.

Best regards.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 1 month later...

hi ulises, just got the plans for the royal Louis. been reading your build log and got some good advice from you and all followers of your log. just wondering how the build is going? will you post more pics in the future? just starting to cut out my frames and other pieces. learned a lot and will also make many mistakes just like everyone else. hope to see more of your build. great work so far. regards,terry

Thank you Terry.

Absolutely! I'm in the process of placing the second line of wales above the lower line of cannons. I will post photos as soon as both sides of this area are finished. 

In the mean time:

post-975-0-12266400-1445700749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Ulises,

Nice update. As was stated your planking looks great especially at the bow Nicely detailed work.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

hi ulises, just got the plans for the royal Louis. been reading your build log and got some good advice from you and all followers of your log. just wondering how the build is going? will you post more pics in the future? just starting to cut out my frames and other pieces. learned a lot and will also make many mistakes just like everyone else. hope to see more of your build. great work so far. regards,terry

Terry,

Give some thought to opening a build log.  It sounds like you're doing a scratch build, right?   It'll be a great way to get help and inspiration through those dark moments we sometimes get and we'll get to follow along. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks a lot for the likes and comments Michael and David B. I can't wait to see it finished myself. :)

Nigel: I could enter the forum. It seems to have a different format. Try this link: http://gallery.shipmodeling.ru/

That looks great Ulises !!!!!!!

you learned your lessons well  :D  :D  :D

And you have to do the coppering?????

Good luck with that then !

It's not difficult, only boring........

Sjors

Thanks much, Sjors!

No. I don't plan to copper this one. I wouldn't spent so much time and effort doing a (to the best of my possibilities) good hull planking job.

I will save that work for Chris' 1/64 Victory. (If it ever comes out ;) )

Appreciate your comment!

Then we are both waiting for that Ulises...

That one should be the last kit for me .

Not for the building but there is someone in the house that want me to do scratch build.......

When the time is there to do the copperplates I will tell you how to do it  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmmm almost two months and also no update........ :(  :(

Also redecorating the house ????? :D  :D

He Ulises....can we make an deal ?

When Chris his Victory is on the market, we go building side by side ???????

Sjors

Sjors. That would be a double pleasure!!! You can bet on it!!!  :)

Oh, and about the updates. I am almost finished with the second planking. Unfortunately, life has had another plans.  :(

Still working almost every day but at a slow pace.

Best regards

I know how it works Ulises.........

Take your time and let life going his own way........

Talk to you later my friend  :D  :D  :D

( Now I have to find a way to tell Anja that I want to buy the Victory from Chris when it is there......)

Sjors

Thanks much, Sjors!

No. I don't plan to copper this one. I wouldn't spent so much time and effort doing a (to the best of my possibilities) good hull planking job.

I will save that work for Chris' 1/64 Victory. (If it ever comes out ;) )

Appreciate your comment!

I'm not sure the Royal Louis had copper plates.  At least the large model at the Marine Museum in Paris does not have them, its lower hull is painted off white.  Weren't copper plates introduced in the 2nd part of the 18th century, while the Royal Louis was launched somewhere around 1856?

Beautiful and impressive ship to model anyway.  Have fun!

1780 is right about when the French started coppering.  RL may have had it as they were testing on select ships right about then.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

( Now I have to find a way to tell Anja that I want to buy the Victory from Chris when it is there......)

Sjors

Sjors.That would be an even bigger accomplishment than building the kit itself.  :D  :D  :D

Mark. Well my ship is built as it was just two weeks before the coppering actually started.  :D  :D  :D

I like the way you think, Ulises. ;)  :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. Finally, after 9 months and 18 days, today Jan. 7 2016 I placed the last bit of wood to finish the second planking in my R.L.

This is just a simple update. I will post photos once it is fully painted, which I estimate will take me just a few days.

Just couldn't wait to post this milestone. :)

Great news - a significant New Year milestone :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A great milestone, Ulises.  Congratulations.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Ulisus

My congratulations are there also with all the others

A great milestone which I'm sure, you are pleased that is behind you now.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks all for your comments and patience. Sorry Sjors... photos will be up soon. ;) 

I am painting the hull at this moment. This is a 3 to 4 day job, so photos should be up pretty soon.

In advance I have to say that I am pleased but not totally satisfied with the way this whole planking job came out. Main culprits were those metal frames for the gun ports. I don't know if this is Mamoli's general practice, but in any case, if I ever stumble upon such method in any of my future builds, I will have to find an alternate method.

Best wishes to all.

Ulises

First of all, I want to make a comment about my above statement:

Statement: Painting the hull will be a 3 to 4 day job.

Comment: Aha! Yeah, right!  :rolleyes:  :D

Well, between the experiments, the DOs and DON'Ts and REDOs it will definitely take me more time. So here are some photos of the painting process. 

I decided to use Model Expo's Royal Louis set of paints for the black and blue. The Milk paint I boasted about sometime ago, just did not cut it in the end.

Still undecided about the ochre color, which apparently came out fine with the milk paint. (It's under the tape)

If paint looks uneven when zooming, it's because it's still wet.

Thank you for visiting.  :cheers:

Ulises

post-975-0-89501700-1452697757_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-16810400-1452697778_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-98965100-1452697790_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-87573000-1452697803_thumb.jpg

At last, a workbench that looks even more cluttered than mine! :)

And I cleaned up for the photo. :D

Okay, here she is!

Just a very few minor details left but I can say now my hull is planked and painted.

It looks shinier in the photos than it really is. Maybe an effect of the flash.

Also, the Boiled Linseed Oil finish was applied just a couple hours before, so I think it will diminish with time and handling.

As I said before, I am pleased but not fully satisfied with my planking job. It has been a tremendous learning experience, though.

Thanks for visiting.

post-975-0-93669500-1452794635_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-66405500-1452794662_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-67555000-1452794673_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-11233000-1452794687_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-07748300-1452794702_thumb.jpg