Royal Louis 1780 by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1/90 - French 126-gun ship

I'd take out the planks and salvage what I could from them.  Then put the opening where it belongs.    Or... cut the frame..... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all.

Mark... I didn't think of your option and seems it is the more feasible. Since the planks are glued to the frame only at the ends, I don't think there will be a mayor problem. In fact I may try to lift all the planks together and just rotate them. (Easier said than done, I know) 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

G'day Ulisus.

What a dilemma! Is it possible to remove all the gratings and redo the frame? Or Keith's idea sounds good to me, only if you can remove the planking!

Good luck my mate on what ever you do! Its seems like a month of "enhancements" or redos for everyone on this forum!

Happymodelling

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Oh the joys of modelling Ulises ;) - Good luck with the fix, seems you have a solution inmind.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Update on the update. I followed Mark's tip and here is the thing "redux".

The planks were very well glued. I was abraid to break the frame if tried too hard to unglue them, so I had to "carve" the planks out.

post-975-0-80547000-1460727358_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-14582000-1460727432_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-12260600-1460727453_thumb.jpg

This fix cost me blood, literally!

post-975-0-89572000-1460727483_thumb.jpg

Finished!

post-975-0-32200800-1460727503_thumb.jpg

Next step: No measures are given for the taper of the bottom of the lower platform.

post-975-0-36754000-1460727571_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching, likes and tips!!!

Ulises

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Good luck with the fix! We all make mistakes, as I'm sure you already know :D!

Edit: Sorry, I posted this before the page reloaded with your new post on it.

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Fixing mistakes is part of the fun!!!  ;)

When i make mistakes and re- do them, why do you have to follow me Ulises ??????? :angry:  :angry:

But also a great fix !!!

I'm proud of you  :P

And keep the bandages by hand please......

Sjors

Very nicely done on the fix Ulises..   I think a happy dance is called for...  post-76-0-71319500-1460754785.gif

Sorry about the wound.  Someone once said a long time that in this hobby, there will be blood.   I think all of us have left DNA on our models.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When i make mistakes and re- do them, why do you have to follow me Ulises ??????? :angry:  :angry:

Because you are my Guru.  :)

But also a great fix !!!

I'm proud of you  :P

Thank you!!!

And keep the bandages by hand please......

Band Aids, alcohol (medicinal) and alcohol (drinkable) are always at hand. :)

Sjors

Great recovery Ulises, remember the alcohol is for medicinal purposes ..... ;):)

cheers

Pat

Hello all, another small update.

These were the chimneys that came with the kit.

post-975-0-73688400-1461092561_thumb.jpg

These the ones I ordered later. They may be a bit bigger but I don't feel they look awkwardly big.

post-975-0-23916500-1461092633_thumb.jpg

General views of present state of the ship´s deck

post-975-0-14491500-1461092696_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-34516200-1461092718_thumb.jpg.

I'm working on this part.

post-975-0-86349500-1461091873_thumb.jpg

Instructions say to glue together 8 pieces of 3x3 wood to make a platform and then glue on the edges pieces of the "combs" you use to make gratings. You then cut pieces of 1 x 1 x 8 and place them in the notches of the grating material, and then close the upper part with more gratings (see drawing).

post-975-0-69305800-1461092198_thumb.jpg

I tried to follow their instructions, but the 1 x 1 wood in the kit became impossible to work with. First it was not square at all, and then it split horribly when tried to cut it. So I choose to do it differently.

Using these pre-scribed material,

post-975-0-73298800-1461091951_thumb.jpg

I cut 8mm stripes from it and started forming the walls.

post-975-0-06090600-1461091983_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-07459200-1461092015_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-68197600-1461092027_thumb.jpg

The piece of wood in the back is for you to see it and to hide the mess behind. :D  :D  :D

post-975-0-51014700-1461092046_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-88187900-1461092066_thumb.jpg

This may or may not be accurate, but who can tell? The important thing is that I am very happy with the outcome. :D

Will post again when they are finished. :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

That looks to be an excellent solution, Ulises.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Another small update. The structures I was working on in the last post, are now done and fixed in place.

Measurements are wrong somewhere. Instructions says to use 1 x 3 wood in the upper cover and shows 4 pieces of wood on each side. By doing so, the opening in the middle is a lot smaller than in the drawing. Oh well!!! No big deal!

post-975-0-44093800-1461251149_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-71986100-1461251439_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-56346900-1461251464_thumb.jpg

General view of deck at the moment.

post-975-0-99227400-1461251498_thumb.jpg

Ulises,

Nice update. These 1700's ship kits seem very difficult, and complex.

======== 

Under your table is the Santísima Trinidad. After this one that should be "a walk in the park" for you (:-) Full ship I assume?

I also have that one "in waiting" (OcCre as well), but it is the cross-section. 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much for your comment, Michael!

Indeed the Santísima (full ship)  is already in my stash, however I feel more inclined towards older ships like Soleil Royale, or Sovereign of the Seas. That's why I say in my signature that at this moment, San Felipe could be my next project.

I had the Royal Louis in my wish list for so many years. I just love this ship!!!

The deck is looking great Ulises!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thank you very much for your comment, Michael!

Indeed the Santísima (full ship)  is already in my stash, however I feel more inclined towards older ships like Soleil Royale, or Sovereign of the Seas. That's why I say in my signature that at this moment, San Felipe could be my next project.

I had the Royal Louis in my wish list for so many years. I just love this ship!!!

Well Ulises,

¡Dios mío. Impressive indeed. I would, and have always wanted to do the Soleil Royal, but as you know, I was born in France. So a dream for me.

And as you know I lived in DF for two years. Hmm no longer called DF (:-) 

Hmm did the French invade?

Chapultepec Park is so beautiful

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Nice work Ulises; that patina looks great and well suited to this style of model.

cheers

Pat

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. What a GREAT Hobby this is!!!!

Another small update.

Working now on this part:

Instructions call for the use of those plastic (Plastic!!! Blasphemy!!!  :D  :D  :D ) windows. 

post-975-0-05383700-1461322976_thumb.jpg

So I am taking some liberties here as well.

post-975-0-01320000-1461323101_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-96801900-1461323112_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-98491500-1461323127_thumb.jpg

This next step is scary!!! Especially 112!

post-975-0-89487600-1461323745_thumb.jpg

Thank you all. Best regards.

Ulises

I was more looking at 110!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Ulises,

I just noticed your build again and had to read several topics. 

Again a marvelous job you are doing here.

I will keep following you from now again.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Thank you all:

Sjors: Thanks for the compliment!

Scott: 110 is number 2! :)

JanV. Much obliged!

Sailor: Please look at first picture in post #467. That's where they are placed. I have no other source of information regarding this particular ship, than the instructions. :(

G'day Ulises

Brilliant job on the last 3 posts. Your solution for the two boxes at the stern is a bit of genius!

I agree that PLASTIC is not on on a wooden ship! Is is more like swearing to me, but blastomy is also correct!

Happymodelling mate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Mini-update.

This is one step that I was postponing since I can't remember when. I wasn't too excited about it:

Cut that section in the bow. Finally I'm over it! :)

post-975-0-26223600-1461583387_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-21437500-1461583402_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-34929900-1461583417_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-15988800-1461583432_thumb.jpg

Still some finishing to do, but the main work is done. I had to move my ship temporarily to my pen turning workshop where I have and can use more noisy and dust making machinery.  B)

Now I see why you were not to excited to do this! Fine job though, what did you use to cut it out?

Hello Don, and many thanks for the bunch of likes. :)

I used a Dremel with a sanding drum attachment, so I didn't actually cut it, but sand it down.