Prins Willem by amateur - Corel - 1:100

Jan,

Wonderful work. The rigging is coming along well and looking very nice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back Jan. I've followed your build the past few years on several other forums. She really is a beauty and I agree with the others: you should finish her.

With some luck you are the record holder of "slowest kit build", going for 13 years now  :P

If it doesn't bend, it breaks.

3 years?

As Arjan syis: mine is in and out the workshiop for 13 years bij now.

Actually, he is more bothered by a record than I am: building is something I do for fun, and as soon as fun (and/or available time) is gone, I just leave it were it stands.

Can we see a pic of your PW?

Jan

• 2 months later...

I guess 3 years is nothing on you. I have been following yours but I did not realize how long you have been working on it. But I do uderstand what building for fun is and when its not fun you stop for a while

JMS

• 4 months later...

After a long and busy (and not so model-productive) I've been doing some little knots....

Mainmast finished (apart from some glue and a pair of scissors) on one side, started working on the other side.

IMG_9436.JPGIMG_9439.JPG

Hope I can find the time (and motivation) to do the remainder of the standing rigging before Christmas....

btw on a Dutch forum Arjan68 showed that the scale of this kit is not 1:100 as Corel claims, but should actually be around 1:87. I'm not going to redo my ratlines, but they should be slightly wider apart than I placed them. (as should be the stairs and some other details)

Jan

Edited by amateur

• 2 months later...

Today, I managed to do some work on the standing rigging of my Prins WIllem.

I made some pics, but one way or the other, there is no way I can get a link copied into this post :huh:

(pics are taken with a very direct flash in a dark room, so there wasn't much to see anyway :)\

I managed to snip of all loose ends of the ratlines in the fore mast (wothout doning any damage to other lines) Standing rigging on the fore is finished now.

I also finished rattling down the main mast and secured all knots by a small dab of dilluted white glue, and I made the last stay on the mizzen.

IMG_9576.JPG

Hope to continue tomorrow, and also to show you some pics.

(I hope I will figure out by tomorrow why I can't copy-paste any links into my postings. ...

Ah well, IE11, stupid microsoft....Google Chromedoes the trick. I suspect uninstalling IE11 also)

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hi Jan,

She's looking good.  Nice work on the rigging.

As far as your posting problem, if you can, un-do the IE 11 upgrade.  It's rather simple: http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7

There's an issue with IE11 and the board software.

If IE 11 is needed for some other site, try Chrome or Firefox.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jan

Your ship is looking good and it gave me some incentative to start on my Willem again.

I got my enthusium back today also by visiting the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam. The newely opended ship exibits are exceptional. There is much more displayed than I have seen before. You may be farmilular with this but I purchased a new book "Message in a model" by Ab Hoving. As you probably know he is the lead restorer at the museaum. What a fantastic book. It has wonderful illustrations of the models and stories of the ships and their history.

JMS

Actually Ab WAS the lead restorer. He retired last year.

The new display is nice, yes. I like the fact that Prins Willem is on display again. And is displayed 'the old fashioned way': just by itself, in a free standing glass case, so you can go round, and round, and round, and have a pretty good view of everything....

'Modellen vertellen' is a very nice book indeed. Lots to see, lots to read, even (or especially) for those interested in the story instead of the models themselves.

Jan

Completely lost this one out of sight - shame on me!

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Jan

You are a lucky person if you can visit this type of display at the Rijks on a regular basis. 

I went back again today because there is so much to take in. There is nothing even close to this 

back home. 

JMS

• 4 months later...

And today I did the othger side. Ratlines finally finished.

I secured the knots with white PVA (diluted), but as that is still drying, I did not snip off the ends.

IMG_9786.jpg

Studying the rigging plan I discovered that two clamps on the bowsprit would be too few. So: destruction in a mild way, and replacement by four new ones. As there will ben loads of rigging line onto them , I didn't pay too much attention to the fact that they are not equal shaped. (and besides: the difference is below 1 mm)

IMG_9790.JPG

And here the first part of the crowsfeet on the main mast. The block is made from a strip of wallnut 3x2 mm, about 1 cm long.
IMG_9789.JPG

Problem is the same as usual with these "add-ons" to the stays: the rope with with the block is stropped has some resistance, so forcing the block into the right direction by tensioning the crowsfeet, results in a kink in the main stay (which is already is under some tension, so there is still some thinking to do....)

Jan

Edited by amateur

Nice work on that strop Jan and great job on the re-work of the added clamps.  Can't tell from here  ;) , less then 1 mm - - really now  :D

She's looking fantastic!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 months later...

My summer didn't go completely unspent...

(sorry for the quality of the pics, they were taken wth a not so goog cmera...)

IMG_4466.JPG

All running riggin gof the bowsprit is more or less present. I 'only'' have ot belay the loose ends.

One of the problesm at this scale is taht the rope is quite springy, and the yards not heavy enough to prevent teh rope going everywhere.

I also redid the crowsfeet at the foremast, the rather whitish rope started to anoy me. Actually, I still think the crowsfeet should go altogether. It does look a bit out of place and period for this ship....
IMG_4468.JPG

Jan

It's fun, those little ropes. Although quite time-consuming.

I'm not going very fast, as I try to be a little bit more historically accurate than the Corel-drawings.

i.e more variety in block-size, rope-thickness, and a slightly more 'dutch' rigging practice.

Therfore, progress is slow, and as I have large interuptions in my work, startup-time is long, the next time I start (first problem is always: how did I do that last month....)

Jan

Wonderful build!

A pleasure to see :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

• 2 months later...

It has been a long time. Lots of other things to do, but now the fore-yard is ready for hoisting.

IMG_0400.JPG

As soon as it is in place, I will try to install the parrels.

IMG_0397.JPG

It's fiddly work, as almost all blocks are slightly oversized, it will be quite crowded down at the mast...

Besides, I do not have a straightforward rigging plan: I skipped the Corel version long ago, and are somewhat stumbling about, using various sources.

That doesn't add to the speed :)

Jan