Symphony by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 scale - 112' Ketch

Hmmm Patrick, can't seem to find the loo ... It's so vastly furnished I must have missed it at a right or left turn ... Wounderful job mate. Postpone the deck fixing as long as possible ... one never knows ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi David and Carl

Many thanks for your comments and Likes!

David-Thanks. Symphony's interior has been a challenge, but fun at the same time.

Carl-Funny you said that about the loo. I tried doing one of the toilet bowls, but It was so small, that it almost wasn't worth doing. Oh well, that's my excuse, anyway!

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Beautiful, just beautiful Patrick.  Stunning!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looking really great, Patrick! It's all those little fiddly things that make the boat really pop and come to life.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

hey there!  I've had to play  'catch up'  again.......I must say,  you've been very busy  ;)    very nice progress all the way around.....even your idea with the bar code........that is so awesome!    very nice :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis

Many thanks and yes, I must admit that the Uncle Toby's muesli barcode was a stroke of genius. I never liked those muesli bars (sorry to all my fellow Aussies), but this time, I think they're going to be added to our grocery list from now on!

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

A milestone has been reached!   The deck has finally been glued down, which means that the interior is well and truly completed.  

So, the photos below show the hull with the deck glued down.  I've also done a little bit more work on the skylights and assorted deck furniture, as well as the bowsprit.  The cardboard templates on the deck will eventually be used to represent the partially planked deck planks.

Still heaps of work to go, but fun, nonetheless!

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-64248900-1439731589_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-22632300-1439731596_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-09133400-1439731602_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-42560800-1439731607_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-06838200-1439731615_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-42222800-1439731622_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76478100-1439731627_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-22061400-1439731634_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-58588600-1439731641_thumb.jpg

nicely done Patrick!  looking forward in seeing the outside of symphony as finely detailed as the inside  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

She's a fine boat.  Will she have sails or just a stub mast so as not to distract from the interior?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Denis, Nigel, Frank, Carl and Bob

Many thanks for all your comments and everyone else who hit the Like button. Greatly appreciated.

Bob. I'm planning to add all the masts and sails. Should look great, I hope!

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of your comments and Likes - greatly appreciated!

Symphony has a large white collapsible canopy over the main cockpit area to give protection from the weather.  As I was curious to see what it'd look like, I did a very rough cardboard mockup of it.  To my mind, it looks a bit funny, but oh well, if the real boat has it, I might as well try to replicate it on my model.  

Also, if you look carefully, you may be able to see that I've planked the bow and stern areas of the deck, thereby leaving the remaining areas of the deck exposed for viewing purposes.

Anyhow, here're the latest photos.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-88621000-1439903456_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-71218400-1439903463_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-61048900-1439903469_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-09477300-1439903477_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-88715900-1439903485_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-31533100-1439903493_thumb.jpg

You know, I agree with you about the canopy - it does look funny. That said, I think that is a really good thing! I think the canvas canopies that can be seen on sailboat cockpits of all sizes are jarring and really interrupt the flow of the lines (especially on a center cockpit boat). So that means that you've, in my mind, accurately captured the essence of the real thing! How's that for looking at things from a different angle? ;) 

Looking really, really fantastic - watching your boat come together (especially the completed interior) is renewing the modeling itch to get rolling on my projects again, now that things appear to be settling down with the little one.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

It may look funny, the canopy, since the deck around it hasn't been planked at all ... I like the partly planked deck, but I would have planked at least the length of the boat with 1, maybe 2 planks wide on the outside, to tie it all together visually ... Now you've got all loose components, which, together, form a somewhat strange boat seen from the top ... having cut the planks in a straight line from port to starboard made that impression stronger ... at least, that's my 2 coppers

I know it is easy to give 'critique' from the side lines as I wouldn't even turn my hand to such a build ... well done, Patrick

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

"Symphony has a large white collapsible canopy over the main cockpit area to give protection from the weather."  Since it was collapsible it was probably not used while sailing but only at anchor.  Since you are putting up sails, I'd leave it off.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think it's a nice addition........perhaps it can be shown in the collapsed position

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your comments and Likes.

Well, after much deliberation, I've decided to go ahead with the canopy, using the cardboard mockup as a template.  I've also seen numerous photos of the real ship underway with full sails, with the canopy up; so that was part of my decision to continue with it.  Thanks for all of your input.  I hope I've made the right decision to go ahead with it!

Anyhow, here's the latest photos.

Thanks and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-76759700-1440065494_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-27997900-1440065502_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-61963100-1440065515_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-59368100-1440065524_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-45888700-1440065540_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-08078000-1440065554_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-68767400-1440065561_thumb.jpg