Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

That is one clean garage....  Don't forget to pack the workbench.  :)

I'm excited for you Rich.  New adventures and all that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Larry- that's what my gf and I keep saying, that we're just cleaning the place up for them and not ourselves...  lol~  funny how stuff works like that.

Mark- thank you.  Yes, the bench is coming with us (it's obviously not where I build- garage has zero climate control).  But we're getting there slowly but steadily.  Realtor wants to get final pictures on Friday so she can list the house, which may/may not have to be delayed until I know 100% for certain that everything with the job is all-clear.

Still, pressing ahead like we have good sense. Either way, the house needs prepping to sell/move.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok folks...  this is THE weekend to make the cross-country drive!  Finally got my clearance and all is set and ready to go- I start work on the 2nd!!!  :)

My Niagara is all packed up, along with all parts, tools, and fixtures.  Let's hope that the roads and traffic are kind!!!  

So, for the next few weeks or so (possibly longer), I will try to get some mini-work done on the bowsprit in the evenings (Thanks to Bob and his idea of using the drawings and applying them as templates to the wood.)  The rest of the large-scale production will resume once I have a more permanent place to live.  :)

But as always, I'll be checking the site and following along with everyone else (and wishing I had my shop up and running!).  :)

Arrived safe and sound! No damage at all. Drive was good- no problems, other than my heater clonking out and car overheating. Def ready to start work Monday!!

It was 14 degrees here yesterday.

Sounds like your radiator might have slushed up.  What is the ratio of coolant to water in the system?  :)

I assume you don't need anti-freeze in Texas...

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

First day went well- lots of paperwork, forms, access badges, etc...  totally insane!  Spend mornings on base, then go back my office to do training, etc.  (no room for me yet on base- ppl r cramed on top of each other there, which makes for a close-knit group).  Still gotta find a more permanent place to live- I'll be checking out apartments on Sat, then my mom's b-day up in Annapolis on Sun.  :)

Obviously haven't taken a single piece out of the bins, other than to check for shipping damage...  But once I'm 100% settled I'll get back to it!!!!!  :)

Rich, good to hear.

THat sucks about your heater. I used to have to travel back East for work. Most trips they would bring a car up from Richmond VA to whatever city I was working in. One trip somebody forgot to drain the water or add a different windshield cleaner to the windshield wiper reservoir...in December. I got about halfway between Philly and Bethlaham when everything started icing over. I am a west coast boy, didnt realize what was happening right away. Here in LA you can just hit the ice with your cleaner for the wipers. Not a good idea when the ambient temp is below 20 IIRC and your driving 65!! HA! Good times!!

From the sound of it your Niagara arrived ok then?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam- that kind of situation would royally suck.  And, my mom's b-day plans were nixed due to the ice/snow today (I'd have to drive across the Potomac bridge, which is a long, rather tall bridge that is 1 lane in each direction, with no median).  

But yes, my Niagara arrived fully intact.  :)  I found an apartment yesterday, so I'll be moving the house from TX to VA over the Christmas week.  I'm just praying that the roads are ok for that 3-day trip (again), and I'll be in a Penske truck too....  fun times...

So needless to say, building won't resume until maybe sometime in January once I'm settled in and have time to relax.  :(

• 4 weeks later...

OK!!!  Finally done with moving, and most of the unpacking is complete!!!  :)  All arrived safe and sound to my new place- hope to get the full shop all set up once again soon.  :) 

Drive was ok, just LOTS of hard work loading, unloading, and re-reloading (had to get a storage unit on Christmas day bc we had too much stuff).  Only thing that happened is that one of our old cats passed away the day after we got up to VA (15 yrs old, and she knew it was time to go).  But it feels good to finally be done with moving, and now I can get back to normal business (work and my build).

After moving and transporting just the hull, I'd definitely have some ship-transporting professionals move my ship once she's completed- I'd be terrified to move a complete ship!!!

Good to hear from you.  Happy New Year!

Sorry about your loss.  I'm glad she was able to make it to your new home.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Rich,

Congrats on ompleting the move. I'm sorry to hear you lost a pet. They become family and a part of our lives so easily.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

After moving and transporting just the hull, I'd definitely have some ship-transporting professionals move my ship once she's completed- I'd be terrified to move a complete ship!!!

A guy from Mystic Seaport just transported over 100 beautiful scratch built models from Texas to CT in a small truck.  There is a picture in their most recent publication.  He taped and stapled cloth or foam over the bases to attach them to sheets of plywood which were arranged in the truck like shelves.  They were not in display cases.  I can't imagine the pressures he felt on the drive and the relief to get them all there safely.

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

I'm happy to hear the move is over and was saddened to hear of your loss.  She may have known her time was near, but she hung on to get "home".  Our previous dog came home one last time and spent a day making us happy.  The next day she was gone.  They seem to know.

Ah.. moving a fully rigged model is worthy of a headache. I can't imagine moving a hundred.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for the condolences- pets truly are a part of the family, and although we were sad to see her go, it was a relief as well. 

Moving a hundred ships in a truck?  Omg I'd be a nervous basketcase!!!!  At least I know who to call in a few years~~  ;)

And a Happy New Year to all of you as well!!!  So far this is shaping up a LOT better than last year!  :)  I know my Thanksgiving was FULL of thanks for a whole new change in my life's direction, and I am grateful every waking moment!  :)  (Christmas just kind of slipped through the cracks due to us leaving TX on Christmas day, but we're still treating each day like Christmas!)

Btw, I might get to go on a "big ship" this week while in port, so I hope to find out tomorrow if I'm going!  :)  Totally cool stuff!!!  :)

Hey Rich;  good to see you're settling down once again, and sorry about your Kitty... (Cats have always been my favorite pets, but the apartment won't allow them).

What ship are you planning on boarding?  You're now a lot closer to Erie PA, ...  Any thoughts?

Lol- I'll be on the USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) tomorrow.  Right next to us is the Bataan (LHD-5), an Arleigh-Burke destroyer, and two carriers (Roosevelt and GW bush).  :)  Royally cool!!!!  Tons of ships, real up-close, but unfortunately I can't take any pics (I asked if I could, but it's a no-no bc of security).  Seriously, it's a kid's dream to actually get to go on the things I made models of as a kid, and actually do work!!!  I was grinning from port to starboard this afternoon walking (while lugging equipment) down the pier!!!  :)  It's funny how they look smaller up close and when you're walking right next to them, but it's still super cool!!!!!!!!  :)

Definitely gets me anxious to get back to my Niagara.  Unfortunately I doubt I'll have the time to go see her in Erie, but maybe one of these days I'll get up there again.  :)

Btw, I'll definitely have to read the Blue Jackets handbook so I can get myself accustomed to Navy customs and etiquette- show (and earn) my respect for our fighting forces and help me understand what our Navy is really all about.  :)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys- I'm back!!!  Sorry for the long delay- been just tied up getting settled, work, move, etc...

But now that things have calmed down a bit I can start setting up my new shop finally!!!  :)  I'll be able to work on my build in the evenings/weekends now that I have some free time.  ;)

Btw, I'll be going to the Annapolis Sailboat Show on Sat!!  :)  And I'm finally going to enroll in my first sailing lesson for the summer too!  :)

(Yeah, this has nada to do w/ my build, but I consider this an update of sorts~~)  :)

It's good you found your way back.  You appear to be setting yourself up for an eventful summer.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good to have you 'home'.  Hope the job is going well and that the dust is settling from the move.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Rich, it's good to hear from you again. We're all anxious to see some pictures of your new shop and get the regular updates on your Niagara!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne