Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

Oh, those little guys are doing a great job!

Thanks, Matti.  I only wish they worked a bit more quickly!

Looks very nice Wayne, the framed promotional plans as well as your  build.

Regards,

John

Thank you, John.

Those are lovely plans of the Bounty!

And nice work on the frames as well.  Makes me smile!!!!

Any day i can bring a smile to your face is a good day, Augie!  :P :P :P :P

Wow, I just noticed your centerline string.  Brilliant!  I'm definitely using that on my next build. 

Nice looking progress on lofting the frames. It must help to have teeny tiny workmen helping out.  :D  :P

Thanks, Craig.  I got the idea for the string from a couple of logs here (just don't remember whos logs :huh: ) - it really helped with keeping the spacing equal.

Love the plans for the bounty!!  They look great!

I have my eye on a wall piece that is at our local consignment store.  A decorative piece of the Ranger with some sample rigging knots and other seafairing related knick knacks.  I may have to grab it, been resisting it.

How are you likeing POF??

-Adam

Thanks for stopping by, Adam.  I am really enjoying the POF - takes quite a bit longer to get the basic hull built, but for some reason feels more satisfying. (of course, I may change my view if it comes out all catywompus rather than nicely faired...)

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Looking great, I like the way you used the beam on top of the frames. where did you find that working crew? Do they demand a large wage and want benefits? 

Are they willing to work more than 8 hrs a day?

Good morning, J.  The crew was courtesy of Maurys - some left overs from his ECB build.  They are actually a scale rail road crew - several sites carry them.  I think they would work more than an 8 hour day, but they don't seem to get much done unless i am there to poke and prod for some reason.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post a brief non-update...

have packed the shipyard completely for the move.  Stopped at 7 frames raised (all forward frames) and the port side of frame 8 beveled.  Too busy packing and working to do anything until we get settled in the new digs - hope to be building again by mid-August.

Wayne

Epictetus

You've been busy!

Good luck with the move.  We'll be here once you're settled and get the shipyard cranking again.  Try not to eat too much seafood when you get there :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good Luck Wayne!

Glad to hear things are settling up well for you - mid August not too too bad (although I know how I feel after a couple of weeks of not getting to the builds).

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks, Augie - gonna be tough with the Lobster pound right at the bottom of the hill....about 100 yards give or take from the front porch.

Wayne

Epictetus

Good Luck Wayne!

Glad to hear things are settling up well for you - mid August not too too bad (although I know how I feel after a couple of weeks of not getting to the builds).

-Adam

Thanks, Adam - have had the ECB sitting on the workstation the past month waiting to get frame 8 finished, but between work travels and the move I finally packed all the tools today and secured the ECB for the journey.  Bubble wrap and florist foam are amazing tools!

Wayne

Epictetus

• 1 month later...

Well, pretty well along with the unpacking and initial decorating.  The boss lady has gotten pictures and curtains hung, nice display of our fire helmets put up in the stairway landing (with the exception of my Dad's Commissioner helmet and her Lieutenant helmet (given to her as a gift by a local fire chief she worked with so she would outrank me...), the rest all saved my bacon at least a time or two over the years!), nautical books mostly unpacked and on the shelves and workshop is also set up.  Time to start building again! 

Have put the Harriet Lane on the shelf for a short time - her next steps are rigging repair and those silly ratlines, and I want to be able to see some progress so have pulled out the ECB. When last we saw her, she had 7 frames raised.  Working on the bevel for frame 8 & 9 and should be able to get them raised this weekend (well, that's the plan at least.  Salmon & Seafood festival here this weekend so one never knows!)

Will post some pictures when I get the next couple of frames installed!

Wayne

Epictetus

You have to make your choices Wayne…...

Or building or salmon and seafood !

Or you can do both  :D

Take your build outside, find a nice table with on one side all the food and drinks and on the other side the build  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don't forget to put a sign next to it what is saying….MSW, great forum !

And don't eat to much !

And most important thing……PICTURES !!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Greetings, and thanks for the kind words! I managed to get frame 8 beveled and raised, started on #9. No pictures this time. Sitting on a plane in Detroit while it gets a brake job, then off to Trenton NJ - back to Maine on Friday. Just a quick Happy B'day to my admiral (Phantom Transcriptionist) - hate to be on the road for her special day, but this client pays the bills, so....

Wayne

Epictetus

Wayne,

Missed this build completely but found it early enough for the front row!

I would assume front row seating has a few percs......perhaps the occasional crustacean.....

Must be tough to be traveling again....hope you get some enjoy time.....

Cheers,

Jim

And wish the Boss many more!,

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Thanks, Jim - have a seat next to Keith! Will pass along the wishes in the morning (just got to the hotel). At least this time I only had to drive to Bangor (3 hours) then from Philly to Trenton (1 hour).

Plenty of crustaceans - special pricing this weekend for the Pirate Festival.

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

You are a real globetrotter……...

Just moved and then you hit the road again !

From me also the best wishes to your Admiral and buy her a nice bunch of flowers  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 3 months later...

I have the holiday week off. my plans are to go to the mystic seaport and take photos of the emma c. If i actually get down there I will post photos. When I was a kid, My  a sister that worked at the Mystic Seaport and I got  below the Emma  C Berry, but that was close to 30 years ago and I can't quite remember the details.I did get to go Aloft on the Charles W Morgans Main mast. It was an easy task dock side, but I can't imagine going aloft in heavy seas.

Hi Wayne,

After seeing this model in the background on Skype earlier today, I just had to drop in and read the log.  Looks like a really interesting little build - and nicely done so far.  I'll certainly follow from here.

Edited by gjdale

Here she is , went to the Seaport yesterday and took about 200 photos. There wasn't a lot of people there, actually it was empty, so i did my best to get pics of all the nooks and crannies on all the big vessels. I really wanted to get pics of the fish hold on the Emma C. but i couldn't at that time. 

post-2832-0-83808000-1388199981_thumb.jpg

post-2832-0-77493700-1388200004_thumb.jpg

Thanks - these are great!  Interesting on painting the deck - need to do a bit of digging around to figure that out!

According to Ansel, when the ECB was restored in 1970, the deck was oiled with a mixture of 1 gallon boiled linseed oil to 1 pint pine tar to 1 pint turpentine. 

I wonder if the shift to a grey paint like the king plank and covering board was to make it more accommodating to visitors since the oiled deck would be more difficult to maintain and also more likely to make a mess of footwear?

Wayne

Epictetus

• 1 month later...

Hi Wayne. This is interesting build! First time i see frames attached to a false keel like that (well i`m a newbie to wooden models, probably that's why :P). My wife will kill me if I will have an working space in living room, she hate dirt and especially dust and there is a lot of it when sanding :). The crew is amazing think i will hire one on my next build :). So i will set my place on the back and enjoy your build.

Kamil

Curent build:Brigantine Corsair by Kamil-OcCre-1:80.

graphics-pirates-116081.gif
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

Are you still working on the ECB?  BTW: the mixture that you mentioned they coated the deck with (Turps, pine tar and boiled linseed) would have a very short life cycle as an unpigmented clear on horizontal surfaces due to UV degradation even as far North as Mystic. I used to sell Pine Chemicals (interestingly the industry is still referred to as "Naval Stores"). Maybe that's why they painted the deck although the color does seem strange.

I have this kit in my stash. Are you still having fun building her?

Best

Jaxboat B)

Hi Wayne. This is interesting build! First time i see frames attached to a false keel like that (well i`m a newbie to wooden models, probably that's why :P). My wife will kill me if I will have an working space in living room, she hate dirt and especially dust and there is a lot of it when sanding :). The crew is amazing think i will hire one on my next build :). So i will set my place on the back and enjoy your build.

Welcome aboard, Kamil!  Been a bit slow of late, but should be moving along some this weekend.

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne

Are you still working on the ECB?  BTW: the mixture that you mentioned they coated the deck with (Turps, pine tar and boiled linseed) would have a very short life cycle as an unpigmented clear on horizontal surfaces due to UV degradation even as far North as Mystic. I used to sell Pine Chemicals (interestingly the industry is still referred to as "Naval Stores"). Maybe that's why they painted the deck although the color does seem strange.

I have this kit in my stash. Are you still having fun building her?

Best

Jaxboat B)

Hello, jaxboat.  Still working on her a little at a time.  Working on frame 10 right now (sanding the bevels).  Very much enjoy this one - lot's of space to get creative as I move forward!

Interesting about the deck coating - wonder if they used it simply to replicate the original as opposed to going for longevity?

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne

Another new ship, The Emma J. Berry sure looks like she will be a fun build, with many hours of shear enjoyment. It kind of looks like you and Popeye are in a bit of a race , the more builds at the same time the more the merrier so to speak. I still have not received a line plan for the Annie M. Parker how ever I did receive a sail plan for the George Parker, not a very good scan, trying to get a larger more clear copy. Will keep in touch on these plans, Enjoy

Regards Lawrence

Welcome aboard, Lawrence!  One thing you can count on with my builds so far - they take a long time, so no problem joining in-progress!

Popeye has me beat, both on skill and rapidity of build.  Not, however, on the enjoyment factor!  This one has been fun so far and a nice distraction from the others!

Hope that you can get a good set of plans on the Annie.  She would be a very gratifying project for you!

Wayne

Epictetus