Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

She's coming together, Popeye.  Great to get all the blocks and hearts set up.  Nice rope coils and pin racks.

When you said worst of luck happened my heart sunk.  Glad it was just the camera rather than a 'deconstruction'.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow, Popeye

Lots of changes since I last visited. Murphy must have a twin as he seems to be here also.

Someone should put a contract out on the bugger.

The Bowspirt's looking great. All that riggings intimidating for me, but the only way around intimidation is to tackle it head on and if there anyone that can make whats needed, its the Popmeister. Drilling those deadeyes had to be fun.

Sorry to hear about the 8 year accident free incident, but sometimes those things happen. Kinda like when I flipped my Schwan's truck. But life goes on. Just keep on truckin' ...

She's looking real slick Popeye, coming along nicely my friend, you have every right to be proud. B)

I'll slink back into the shadows now. :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Sjors.............no,  I still have a while yet before I can even remotely say that I'm close to da finich.   to look at the plans,  and look at the pictures,  I have found a lot of little differences that I'm going to be making,  as well as more lines that I will add.   now the focus can be put on the main mast.....getting that one in place.   a lot more good stuff at the mid ship ;)  thanks again for the good word.

not this time Augie.......although she doesn't sit properly in her stand.......I need to make it more accomidating.   every time I drill into the hull and deck,  I do wonder when the big oops will occur.  should it happen......I'll just cover it up with something and move on.  I have that yoke rest painted and cemented in place.......I like how it turned out  {ten mins worth of work}.   yea.......I just can't imagine why the rack wasn't added in the kit.   it's such a prominant thing on the deck.  there is a proto type build of this model with it.....did this modeler think the same as me?  there is so much that can be done with it as well......I'm happy I put it in ;)  I'm just hoping that it comes out as beautiful as yours,  so that when I can finally sit at the comodore's table with you and Sjors, we can brag to each other  :)   thanks for the good word.......this ship ain't going down without a fight!

I'm so glad your feeling a bit better Keith........you've definitely jump started your build in grand style!  you'll be doing some of this rigging as well........don't fret though.....once you do a little....you'll get right into it ;)    here's to adding as much as I can :cheers: and you as well,  my friend!   best way to thwart Murphy.........never look back!  I'm glad to finally be rigging her......although there are some structual aspects I still want to do.....figure I'll do them as I head to the stern.  these are the things I should have done before I started to table her off and on....I will get to them ;)  I already mentioned to the admiral that I need to make a  'fitting' order......I want to order these parts,  so I don't have to make them.   you would not believe how many deadeyes I went through to make those 'heart' eyelets.  I think if I had a drill press,  it might not have been so bad.....I made them by hand.  as I mentioned though.......I'm not stopping the build any more because I don't have the parts.....I'll make them first.   I still can't believe that I started this build back in 2010....time to finish this one and get her off the table!

as far as that incident at work.........all I guess I got was a write-up.  it's the only thing on my record....I'll be celebrating my 9th year there this sept 20th.   not too sure......they never called me in the office about it.  I reported it when it happened......I don't try and hide stuff.  if I did it,   I own up to it.   I'll keep double checking myself for a while longer though........make sure this isn't going to happen again.  

thanks for the good word......good to see you back at the table.  expressionism isn't dead..........wonder what a ship would look like, modeled after the Doors.........or even Black Sabbath  ;)    better yet......Bob Marley :)  LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking great and oh so crowded.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

oh.......no you don't Mobbsie!.........but then again.......that might not be a bad Idea ;)     sneak over there where Sjors is and keep me posted.    he has teeth now........and if I have to throw some cannons on deck.....    hospital ship......that's what he called her on the old forum........no....I haven't forgotten.   these nurse's know how to take the temp.........YEA BABY!!!! :ph34r:   {I've seen the shot marks on his walls} ;)

just kidding Mobbsie......I would never involve you in cloak and dagger.  no need to stand in the shadows.......not such an accomplished builder,  as yourself.   thanks for the good word......and keep looking in :)

thanks Sherry!  I know I've been just picking at her..........I really need to get moving.  this is my opinion....I've never been on a build this long.   time to turn up the juice,  and see what shakes loose! ;)  thanks for the good word!  :)

thanks Bob.....it's going to get more crowded as I go along.   part of the reason why I mentioned that this is an odd scale for this kit.  it really needs to be of a much larger scale.   doing the rope treatment that others are doing would be lost on this ship......I've settled for using different thickness of thread.  craft stores have been good for finding them.  the plans show the most obvious rigging lines.......but these pictures are great for adding in a lot more of the subtle ones.  it should look good when finished........at least,  I hope so  :)   thanks for the good word.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Awesome stuff Popeye. So much going on and looks good all together - quite impressive.  Keep looking at the pics and seeing something I missed!!!

Sounds like Murphy is secured and stowed away in some dark basement somewhere for the time being - full steam ahead!!!!

:dancetl6:

Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

will do Adam........doing more on her as we speak!   the camera's up and running again,  so there will be more pictures soon!   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I promised more pictures..........

the yoke rest,  as I mentioned,  is painted and cemented in place.   the boom rests in it nicely.

post-612-0-91922900-1374711651_thumb.jpg

then the fore stays were installed.  I didn't paint them....perhaps I should have.   I have to paint the dead eyes....oh well....so much for local color ;)

post-612-0-23882600-1374711881_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04234200-1374711892_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-13225800-1374711905_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78458900-1374711913_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89392200-1374712016_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28070700-1374712030_thumb.jpg

I wanted to grag the main mast and begin the process of getting it ready.......don't know why,  I grabbed the mizzen instead.   I was bending all the little wires into eyelets,  when one of them broke,  so I had to replace it.  after this was all done, it was painted.

post-612-0-10004600-1374712254_thumb.jpg

back at the bow,  you probably noticed the blocks I tied halfway up the spirit.  they are in conjunction with the ones I ties on the bumkins.   here is what it will look like...I did the starboard side.

post-612-0-44918800-1374712487_thumb.jpg

then the forestays were tied after working them to make them a bit more taught.

post-612-0-06300200-1374712557_thumb.jpg

before I go further with the fore stays,  I'll work towards getting the shrouds in place....I'll do a few,  and get the main mast in place,  so I can continue with the standing rigging.  this particular one is going to be thicker than the others,  so it will be a single........the rest will be done in pairs.....two starboard,  and then two port.....I read about this earlier

post-612-0-47063700-1374713031_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Excellent progress and a quality build, Popeye.  Keep up the inspiring work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark :)     don't know how inspiring it is......but I'm having fun with it.  I'm just glad to be making some progress with this build after all this time.   I'm glad I've got extra blocks.........with what I've done so far,  I've used up half of the single blocks.  I still have the main and mizzen masts to fit out.......it's all good though  :)    thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Trust me,  VERY inspiring.   Love watch this stuff come together and it just looks great!!! 

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

thanks Adam........I made a bit more progress........the first shroud lines are on!   now work.......if the place was fun to be at,   it wouldn't seen such a drudgery.   I'll try to get the recent pictures up.   right now.......everything I do is a plus,  because this build sat dormant for so long.   thanks for the good word.....:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sjors told me to ask for PICTURES!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

yes,  I promised the pictures of what I did the other day........it's not a lot......but as I said,  it's the progression of the build,  that I'm happy with :)     it must be awefully lonely,   sitting at the Comodore's table........all by....yourselves.....Hee...Hee....Hee :)

anyway..........After the first shroud was set,  it was tied in place.......it will make for good reference.

post-612-0-80264400-1374973388_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31645500-1374973444_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43208500-1374973453_thumb.jpg

the mizzen was fitted with blocks

post-612-0-20552200-1374973489_thumb.jpg

....and the yards were painted the first coat

post-612-0-77886000-1374973537_thumb.jpg

the port side bumpkin rigging was done at this time

post-612-0-93659600-1374973802_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53632300-1374973965_thumb.jpg

and then the right side shroud was tied in place

post-612-0-73182800-1374976594_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-52436300-1374976608_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress, Popeye.   By the way, I noticed that you're next in line for Commodore at this point.  :)   I'll notify Augie and Sjors to save you a seat. :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the good word Mark :)       yea.....it'll be a while still.....those two have been routing for me to get there.   I don't really pay attention to the count.........I just take my enjoyment from building and showing it to you fine folk.   this site is the pride of the fleet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There's some good stuff going on here Popeye, I like what you are doing. Soon be on them darn ratlines, ha ha ha ha ha ha :D  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  

Be proud my friend, ;)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice progress, Popeye.   By the way, I noticed that you're next in line for Commodore at this point.  :)   I'll notify Augie and Sjors to save you a seat. :o

Aye, mate....message received.  I've ordered the (flag)ship's cook to lay in a double ration of spinach for the occasion :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Okay....this is "a day in the life".......

I came to the computer without my reading glasses and saw that Popeye was next in line for commode!!?? :wacko:  :blink:

The moral of the story is: if you need glasses to read.......wear them!!!!   :P  :D  :D  :D :D  

Although.......it can be more entertaining without them. :P

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I think I have about 206 posts to go before that happens.........the like button makes it harder for me.   I'm glad your saving a seat for me though.........I'll get there soon enough  ;)   Sjors is ready to put me in a rocking chair.......I don't think so.........buddy,  I'm about to double the amount of empty bottles lying about.......I'll drink you under the table!  :cheers:

thanks Sherry.........I enjoyed the banter..........yea, I'm to the point where I need readers too {only 1.25}      but.......I do have a pair of 2.0 glasses that I wear sometimes when working on my builds.   thanks for looking in and the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

(Sneaks in and ties everyone's shoelaces together who sit at the captains and commodores table)

B)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds