Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Just keeps looking better and better!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Daniel,  Mobbsie and Adam.........I appreciate your kind words  :)

I guess this would be as good a time as any to post yesterday's progress.   not too much progress today though.......errand day.   with my son working now,  I have to accompany the admiral on the ones that require lifting.  even with her disability,  she still enjoys getting out and about......I'm not about to stop her from doing so.

here are just some random pictures of the crosstree dead eyes.  I did find out that there is no crosstree on the mizzen mast.

post-612-0-78933100-1371775107_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27934800-1371775120_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-91532000-1371775129_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77891700-1371775138_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-46512000-1371775159_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60285300-1371775172_thumb.jpg

I did manage to get all six dead eyes on the main top.   now to bend all the wires into eyelets,  and paint

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good looking masts, Popeye.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob........now I gotta get them painted.  :)    I'm working on the bow at the moment......even took a good picture of the bow and turned it into my desk top picture.....can't help but study it now........Hee....Hee.....Hee

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I understand that.  I also have a picture of a boat I want to build as my deck top.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

what I have on my desk top is this....

post-612-0-34858400-1371973988_thumb.jpg

here's what I'm going to try and get it to look like......I'm not going to be able to do all the lines,  but it's kind of a goal.   I did a bit of rigging earlier in the build.....per the plans,  and I din't like it

post-612-0-70406400-1371974196_thumb.jpg

this is not tied to an eye bolt.....they start from holes drilled into the stem......so I did.

post-612-0-97999200-1371974266_thumb.jpg

this hurt me a lot more than the model........if I botch this up,  I'll have a very nasty bow.  the bottom pair of bobstays {I think that's what they are called} are in place ......there are two more on the sides

post-612-0-67928900-1371974412_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60621000-1371974422_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-34987900-1371974430_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice redo on the bobstays :)

You really should look into TFFM IV. It's really good about explaining the rigging, and showing how things are done. Obviously you're not rigging a sixth rate, but the principles are the same.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I have been thinking about a trip to the local book store Andy.  the one thing I do notice about them,  is depending on what you read,  one tends to come away with a different take on just what is considered correct.   I have so many pictures of this ship........the only delimma I'm facing at the moment,  is how the lines start,  and how they terminate.   I wish I had some of the other sized blocks,  incorporated in this build........some 2mm blocks would be nice for the yards.......but now I'm treading on the path of  'super detail'  :)    thanks for the suggestion..........I'll look into it  {hopefully before I get too deep in the rigging}

Eric........know it or not.......your going to be a barometer for me.   you've been on the ship.....you know the ship,  and how many folks can say they are working on a ship that is still in operation today........I'm very lucky in that respect.  I was looking through my inventory,  and I saw that I have a bunch of 7mm double blocks as well as the 7.5mm triple blocks.  I think the double blocks would look better for the fore and main yards...than the triple blocks........although the triples would make for a nice pulley set up under the tops. :)

I'm getting ahead of myself..........get the bow fitted,  then get the masts in place,  so I can start on the standing rigging.....that is the goal right now.    it's so good to be back on this build  :)

thanks Sjors........this is just the beginning ;)

thanks Augie........I sure am  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Chuck's blocks might suit you... and it's not so much that you have to follow the book by the letter, but like you said, get some idea of how the lines should run. It sure helped me a lot, and will help me even more in the future.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I should do something about starting a  'real'  library.....thanks for the suggestion Andy,  I'll look into it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good idea on the desk top Popeye.  I did the same thing on my work computer.  Stared at the Bounty rigging for a month between financial statements.  Totally helped though.  I'm sure you'll get the rigging down nicely.    

thanks Daniel..........I'm sure it will  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

There's so many choices, and good choices for books about rigging.

Besides TFFM, there's these:

Rigging Period Ship Models - Lennarth Petersson

Masting and Rigging English Ships of War - James Lee

And the ubiquitous: Historic Ship Models - zu Mondfeld   While he's not always accurate, he does provide a great overview of rigging and just about everything else.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark.  I have a couple of books........more like booklets actually.   not very descriptive.   I'll be checking this out ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hy Popeye nice to see you working on a real ship ;-)

Love it :-)

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

thanks Brian...........don't congrat me just yet........the oops factor is still there.....LOL!

thanks Daniel :)    figuring that I started this one in 2011........I think it's about time too  ;)    this is totally out of my character.....never spent this much time on a build.  it'll be a good learning experience for when I get to the United States.  the problem I've run into on that build,  is the planking.   I got a bunch of it from Billing USA......0.7 x 3mm deck planking.  I know I'm not going to have enough for the gun and spar deck.......now that they are closed,  I have to find another place to get the planking from.  if I can't find the same planking,  I'll just have to order new stuff.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though...:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I made some more progress on the Goth.  looking at that picture.....I see that I'm going to need a couple pairs of hearts.   I'm not stopping the build to order them.........I took some 5mm deae eyes and hollowed them out.

post-612-0-36046300-1372308957_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-55652100-1372308973_thumb.jpg

I also want to get those bow bumpkins {what I call them} in place as well.  they were painted and thread was added for the contact bumpers,  on the trail boards.

post-612-0-34408500-1372309140_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77263600-1372309152_thumb.jpg

I made up two short lanyards with 3.5 dead eyes,  and lashed them to the bow spirit for the side bob stays.

post-612-0-62391600-1372309235_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-90375200-1372309248_thumb.jpg

eye bolts were installed for the attachments of the bumpkins.

post-612-0-44703200-1372309341_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-90284900-1372309351_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-18440800-1372309368_thumb.jpg

the rigging for the side bob stays were next.......port side

post-612-0-46405700-1372309488_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11604800-1372309518_thumb.jpg

then the starboard side

post-612-0-48754900-1372309544_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77676200-1372309556_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-22148900-1372309569_thumb.jpg

it's only a little rigging for now........when I can get the masts in place though......full scale rigging can comence.  Eric was kind enough to send me a diagram of the belaying pin set up.   I may not get all the lines,  but I'm going to try to get as much as I can on her.    more to come  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Andy.....still have to touch up the glue marks.   currently painting the fore mast and getting some of the blocks on.  I'll be glad to get the small stuff out of the way,  and get to the serious rigging  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Hav'nt looked in for a while mate and boy have you ever made progress, she's looking the part now.

I hope your enjoying her as much as your other builds, new set of challenges and all that.

Keep it up mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks for the good word.......my first venture of this type of ship in wood.   I've done a lot of plastic builds.....but wood is a whole different ball game.   getting more and more interesting ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Rigging on the bow sprit looks good.  Seems you have another masterpiece going.

Bob

Haven't ck'd in in awhile....... you've made some great progress !... the Goth is really looking good Popeye, nice work on the bow sprit.....

by the way, all rigging is serious!! :D  :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Really great start Popeye.  Like Sjors, I think the 'hearts' look fantastic.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Sjors and Augie.......I need to do just a little more filing to make them totally round inside.  I've gotta count out the 3.5mm dead eyes I will need......I want to try it on a few of those ;)

thanks Frank........you know what I mean  :)     are you working on your Supply yet?  I'm gonna catch up to you,  you know  ;)

I'm working on it Bob......hope that's what will come of her.........I'm a little out of water on this build.  the Revell Cutty Sark was the last ship I did any major rigging to.  I think I'll do OK though.   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: