Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Hello Popeye,

After the photo sended by Eric, I noticed that you have done the horizontal inclination to the strips joining with the bow as same as the original's... Your build is beatiful and well done...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

thanks Runner63.....nice to have you looking in  ;)

thanks Ferit.....Eric has sent me many pictures during the time he's worked on her.   I also received pictures from two other members as well.....so I am well armed.....visually.    there are a few aspects that differ from the actual ship....if I had seen them,  I might have corrected them.   now they are too buried in the build to even try.   but I will carry on with the build  and complete it the way it is.   I do hope you follow along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, I only have one word my friend "SWEET"

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie.....now to get the rest of the dead eyes on there,  and get the party started  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Runner63.....nice to have you looking in  ;)

thanks Ferit.....Eric has sent me many pictures during the time he's worked on her.   I also received pictures from two other members as well.....so I am well armed.....visually.    there are a few aspects that differ from the actual ship....if I had seen them,  I might have corrected them.  

I agree.  If you change "the actual ship" then yours will be correct.  :D  :P  ;)

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I'll make sure you don't miss a thing Andy........you'll see it,  I'm sure  {I'll save your seat} ;)

sure thing Bob........I'll run right out there........LOL!!!  I wonder how they treat folks in a Swedish Jail.......especially someone who was caught trying to deface a national treasure  :)  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wonder how they treat folks in a Swedish Jail.......especially someone who was caught trying to deface a national treasure  :)  :ph34r:

No problem there Popeye. You see, They are so full of themselves that they believe that they have evolved past Nationalism. Politicians and journalists compete in who can trash the nation most. Even today, June 6th, Swedens national day, the papers write about how ugly it is celebrating one's nation. And the minister of culture want's to abolish the national anthem. You'll probably be a hero!  :P

And the inmates here even have their own union! :huh:

I don't even want to talk political....but I think our fore fathers are turning over in their graves,  over here.   what I'd like to say,  no one wants to hear ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't even want to talk political....but I think our fore fathers are turning over in their graves,  over here.   what I'd like to say,  no one wants to hear ;)

I hear ya.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 2 weeks later...

OK.......so in my head,  I've been playing around with blocks.   I know I don't have enough double blocks to do what I need to.  instead of waiting for 'em like I did with the dead eyes {which is a breath of fresh air, now that I have them}......I'm looking at making them.   I think that the bottom fore and main yard should have triple blocks,  rather than the double blocks,  as supplied in the kit.   the double blocks in the kit are 5mm.......as are the single blocks.   I have a bunch of 7.5mm triple blocks

post-612-0-01998100-1371643845_thumb.jpg

I think I can size them down a little.   these are also the same size as the ones used in the AmericA build, and that was at 1:72 scale.   this build is 1:100 scale........so perhaps a bit thinner and a bit less in length, might be just what the doctor ordered.   then I fashioned out a double block,  to see if this was something I could do.   I think after a bit of refinement,  it will look fine,  but I don't think I should use the kit supplied ones........they might look odd.

post-612-0-06998700-1371644436_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-13320200-1371644447_thumb.jpg

I'm sitll looking at the possibilities........but it's nice to know that the option is there

post-612-0-83342800-1371644503_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's cool Popeye.  What wood are you using???

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

other things I have been looking at......there are two bow spirit yards........not one,  as seen in the kit.  I will add in the extra yard.........Hee.....Hee........go the extra yard..........the longest yard........don't mind me,  I'm just senile :).   but I also noticed that there are no provision for cross trees in the kit.   the ship has them, and so shall mine.   I toyed around with the construction of them,  since taking the masts apart isn't an option for me.......no going backwards.   the idea here is to simply encase the cap with the frame.......I thought about tucking the cross parts unde the cap,  and the lengthwise parts on top,  but there are too many concerns with it..........so I'll make the frame and do the encasement.  I began with the main mast.

post-612-0-64379700-1371645346_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-40061300-1371645358_thumb.jpg

I made up a jig to put inside for the fit.   while this was drying,  I drilled the rest of the holes for the fore mast cap dead eyes,  and cemented them in place.

post-612-0-99419300-1371645473_thumb.jpg

I'm adding a piece of square stock to give me a little more room to play with.   the holes were not drilled correctly........if there was not enough spacing for the 3.5 dead eyes.......how did they think I was going to put in the 5mm dead eyes supplied in the kit?  it also gives enough room for the railings {that were not envisioned in the kit either}.   when the cross tree frame was dry,  it was dry fitted in place....there is more to do to it before it is cemented in place.

post-612-0-97059400-1371645870_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30350300-1371645882_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49851500-1371645892_thumb.jpg

once this was to my liking.......it was shaped and holes for the upper shroud dead eyes were drilled

post-612-0-01029800-1371646015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68767900-1371646030_thumb.jpg

the same was done for the fore mast.......but smaller sized square stock was used.

post-612-0-92816000-1371646099_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62108500-1371646122_thumb.jpg

I did a few other things as well.........some eye bolts at the stern were cemented in.......and looking into a couple of other aspects I would like to put into her.   I did the top extensions for all of the tops.....or I wouldn't be able to install the number of dead eyes,  as seen in the kit......there are 5 for the fore mast, 6 for the main mast,  and 4 for the mizzen mast.   it's good to be working on her again.......it was like wandering the river bank,  looking for the best place to jump in.   now that my feet are wet again,  I'm going swimming!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Andy.......very happy to provide an update!   I was going to wait,  but then again........that's all YOU guys were doing :)   I want to get into the rigging......like the rest of you are doing.   your busy with it..........Sjors is busy with it.............Augie's almost done with it.....every one's playing with string!

I want to play with string

to rig up everything

every bingle and bangle

oh,  so not to tangle

I want to get busy with string

I want to play with line

from thick,  down to fine

I look on with druther.......

at the riggings of my brothers

and now,  I want to do mine   :)

at masts both tall and short

they're screaming for support

the yards be strung

and supported,  well hung

this....... I shall not abort   ;)

..............................just for you Andy.........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You're 'moving on UP' !!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie and Sjors.........always willing to try something new.   besides.......I'm not stopping any more for stupid reasons.   I'm using basswood for the moment.......I might have some other woods handy....I have to look.   thanks for the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good to see you progressing Popeye, I like the poem too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looking good, Popeye.

Masts and blocks, can't wait to see the rigging.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Popeye...." you're a poet and don't know it".... ( remember that saying :P )......... Besides being a poet, you're an excellent craftsman, nice work on the trees.

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice to see this one progressing as well, Popeye.

If you're going to start playing with blocks, try and find some really good quality timber - your blocks will be much easier to make and much stronger when you start rigging.  If you can manage to lay your hands on an old boxwood folding carpenters rule; they make first class material for blocks.

John

Oh John.........I tried that.........got my hands on that ruler,  like you said.......but the carpenter was still attached to it........oh bollocks! :)

glad you all liked the poem.....just threw it together....just how I roll,  I guess ;)    also glad to make some sort of progress.   I made some progress on the cross trees,  although the way I did them does have a cost.   I did the dead eyes.......they do seem a bit far apart from each other,  but I think the overall,  will mask it quite well.   I will have pictures of this up soon.   I need to look at the pictures too....I don't think there was one on the mizzen mast.  I even went as far,  as to look at the parts for the United States.....I almost assembled the masts.

thanks to all for the good word......more to follow ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful modifications on the masts, Popeye, and those scratchbuilt blocks are magnificent :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

thanks Aldo...........I gotta get the latest update up here :)      I'm glad to finally be back on this build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye!  And we always enjoy your poetry.  

Well done on the blocks and cross trees, really looking good.

Wont be long and you will soon be getting tied up with all string and stuff.

Definitely making excellent progress mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-