De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen - Scale 1:45

Another remark with respect to Dik:

Dik did his research in the late seventies (he published his material from 1983 onwards).

His main objective was a model that looked authentic.

He used the Zweidecker as one of his main reference points. So concluding that Dik and Winter do give the same information is kind of circular  reasoning....

Otte Blom was slightly more critical with respect to his sources, although he tends to draw too much detail in his drawings. (Some people say that he is suggesting too much certainty.) In the end, his main body of reference is the same as that of Dik and other amateur-researchers: Winter and the drawings of Van der Velde)

I know that Ab doesn't beleive in this raised part between the 'schaarstookken, and therefore has no need to have an additional opart of wood fixed on top of the deck beams. Dik based his drawing clearly on pic 17 in Winter: there is the same construction shown: the schaarstooken are slightly raised ovr the deck beams, and in between the beams are raised to the level of the schaarstokken, in order to accomodate the gratings.

I don't know what the real ship should look (after all the ship in Winter is only a model)

Does Wasa give any info?

Jan

Jan,

On one photo (2nd - is it on the lower deck?) there is an additional part, but not raised.

I know we are again touching the topic: „What was or could be, but we do not have any exact 100% documentation on the 7P”.

Still, if you look at my deck which I am going to finish soon, you can see the part between gratings which looks similar to the Dik’s solution. I decided for it since it makes sense to have a smooth surface in such a ship which needs high functionality and any obstacle could mean a certain hurdle in a battle.

I will attach this part holding the gratings onto the beam on the same way as the Vasa had – with two bolts on each end and two in the middle – in total 6 bolts. The gratings itself seem to be nailed/bolted too (logically) but according to the Vasa – with very thin bolts on each joint and positioned diagonally (also logical). Winter’s model shows one strong bolt, but i believe this was a compromise of the model. Let’s see how small I can go with my “with-needle-made-bolts”. Till now, I managed 0.4mm without bigger problems - will probably need 0.3mm or so.

Drazen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

Drazen,

I would think that coamings around all the gratings would be commonplace.  Otherwise, in heavy seas that water will want to go through the gratings into the ship.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, the Dutch ships seem to have some specialities - I have a feeling.

My friend Mile Bijelić (who won gold on World champinship twice and knows a lot about english vessels) and me are often struggling if/when starting from the english way of building ships. The first I needed to learn with Dutch ships is – other rules and in my eyes – some good sense for simplicity and practical solutions for that time. :)

Dražen

Hi Mark,

And still...on the existing models and illustrations of Dutch ships of war, there are no coamings on the gundecks.

Jan

Thanks Jan.  I'm learning something new everyday. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Patiente fight booring. 2:1 in first halftime !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 4 weeks later...

Superb workmanship Drazen! the gratings are also beautifully fitted.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have a photo/drawing/shetch of the construction of the partner under the capstan on the upper deck on Vasa?

Cannot see clearly from my photos how this has been done.

There are just different ways how to do it...

Dražen

post-1930-0-56736500-1394379001_thumb.jpg

... gratings been grinded.

It looks boring at the moment, but will get some depth after applying slight bating/mordant and after the nails are on/in.

Dražen

Spitzenklasse Drazen,

I love your work on this great model, a delight to watch her grow...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Just as Nils said ... I like to watch how She grows

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Jan,  I need/mean the stronger "floor" capstan is set on. You see it on my 2nd Vasa picture, but I do not see how it has been done and how it has been connected to the beams and how the deck planks have been fixed (to it?).

The Artitec model, on the first picture seems to have capstan on the deck planking what seems to me not really a strong enough construction. There, the deck plankings are set in the cross direction.

Dražen

So, you say: like the solution by Artitec as on the 1st photo?

Funny, the Vasa has the visser in the length direction bolted to the beams (as on the 2nd photo).

Seems, both solutions are OK?

Dražen