Sources for Boxwood Blocks

I'm trying to find some sources for boxwood blocks of various sizes and can't seem to find anything besides Model Expo. I've heard of Warner Woods West but can't find any information on them. Does anyone know of sources for Warner Woods or other blocks?

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff,

This is the address I found for him:

Warner Woods West

440 W. Old Hwy 91

Ivins, UT  84738

I believe that is his current address. Note that Lloyd doesn't do business on-line (so I've heard), and the best way to contact him is snail mail.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Harvey

Thanks Harvey and Greg. Thats what I was looking for.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I have ordered his blocks a couple times and have been very pleased with the tiny units. Below is his list of blocks and price list. 

Indeed you have send an order form to him at the address shown and include a personal check (no credit card, etc.). He does have an email address that is on the price list. He can send you the order form online.

post-246-0-78935300-1362360055.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

If you are really interested you can contact him for some samples, but here is his order form that I used. Apparently he has not changed the prices since 2006. I paid what he shows. He also makes rope and I received samples that looked fine, but I have my own ropewalk.

Unfortunately he does not show pictures. But here is also a comparison of blocks I got in the kit of my USS Constitution versus the same size from Warner West. His were actually very close to the actual size while the kit's were way too big. I will let you decide which are whose.

post-246-0-52052400-1362372231.jpg

post-246-0-99937000-1362372215.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

Thanks Jay. There is a significant difference in the appearance of the blocks in your picture. I'm getting ready to rig my carronades and thought the blocks in the kit looked a little big.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi Jeff. I have shown the two pictures below before, but maybe they help.
I had to hold off continuing my deck detailing until I got the new blocks from Utah and I am not sorry I waited. I also show what the ship's blocks really look like by comparison.

as received in the kit post-246-0-20865000-1362374238.jpg

versus Warner West's post-246-0-21182900-1362374252.jpg

versus real post-246-0-71323000-1362374283_thumb.jpg

PS I am not too proud of my hooks but ignore that, please  :P  :angry:

Jay

Jeff,

I've also used Llyod's blocks, they are first rate. I've purchased blocks from 2mm up to 7mm and they are beautiful.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Jeff,

I've also used Llyod's blocks, they are first rate. I've purchased blocks from 2mm up to 7mm and they are beautiful.

I would like to add that if you go that way buy a couple more than what you need. These things are so small they:

1. Get lost on the floor.

2. Require careful stropping (which in my case doesn't always work the first time and need repeat, repeat, etc)

3. File the grooves where the strop goes around. (thank you Alistair for that suggestion).

4. DRILL THE HOLES OUT A BIT BIGGER.

5. Experiment like I had to in order to get used to threading them.

But the results are really worth the effort!!!

Jay

Thanks for the tips. I imagine I may need a thinner diameter thread also.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi Jeff, Yes thinner thread and larger holes. I used Lloyd's blocks on my Confederacy

and they turned out much nicer than my Constitution did.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to purchase blocks at jbmodel.eu however the quantities and types I require for my Vasa are not available there. 

I have tried to get in touch with jbmodel.eu however still no reply

are there alternative suppliers for these high quality blocks, preferable in Europe.

PS: I need these for my Vasa.

Edited by JanV

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

• 5 weeks later...

Lloyd Warner's blocks are very nice but as Jay has mentioned one needs to strop and drill them out. I have also used Jerzy's (Austria), and they are excellent and more finished (but made of pear). Both are roughly the same cost (about 30 cents ea.). Jerzy's is fast but you have postage from Europe Which is not a big deal -obviously. Order well in-advance with Warner, it can take a few weeks.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

:)  :)  :)  :)  Its gonna be a while until I build up some stock....but "Chucky Blocks" are coming soon.  :)  :)  :)  :)

Lets take  a look.   

Model Expo price for 3/32" single blocks 100 QTY = $20  You know what these look like  :(

Lloyd's price ..................................................... = $35

Jerzy's price - 2 mm .......................................... = $45

My price in boxwood will be ............................... = $27

Expo blocks compared to Warner's blocks below

n_a.jpg

My blocks compared to Jerzy;s (Jerzy's on the right) 2mm

fin2mmjerzyblocks.jpg

And another shot of my 2mm blocks...the single blocks on the right have no finish on them yet the doubles have some wipe-on-poly.  This is an old image that doesnt show any strop groove.  I will have to take some new pics once I start up production.  These were basically my tests....I have made some adjustments (sheave slots wider slightly so the holes for rigging can be larger).

blocksbunch.jpg

Hopefully soon.....depending on how much interest in this there is out there.  :)

triples.jpg

I sent my order to Warner Monday. Maybe since we both live in the same state, it won't take as long.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I'm ready to order Chuck as soon as you are ready to ship!!

Tom

Me too!

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I have been in research and testing mode for the last three months on these.  Finally have it all nailed down.   I wont be able to start actual production for a while but I do have all of my earlier test runs....

I am going to bring them to my next local meeting but if there are any left over I will certainly offer them here too.  They are all the small 2mm and 3/32" blocks.  They are the only sizes I was testing regularly.  I have about 300 in each size,  singles and doubles with varying size slots and holes...some have no holes.  For example...I have about 300 single 3/32" blocks with no sheave holes.  They are slotted though.

After my meeting I will post what I have left.  If you guys dont mind drilling your holes I have tons of those.  I was testing to just get the shape and sheave slots correct.  I hate to throw them away.

Chuck

I am planning to purchase blocks at jbmodel.eu however the quantities and types I require for my Vasa are not available there.

I have tried to get in touch with jbmodel.eu however still no reply

are there alternative suppliers for these high quality blocks, preferable in Europe.

PS: I need these for my Vasa.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Janv, there is a company in Sweden that has extreme high quality blocks. WWW.eskader.se then change language to English. Good luck

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Janv, there is a company in Sweden that has extreme high quality blocks. WWW.eskader.se then change language to English. Good luck

Check out those prices though....at least in US dollars.   $30 for 20 blocks.  Thats nuts.   Here is what they look like.  I have seen these while researching my own.

deadeyes-scored.jpg

I don't mind drilling.  I'd like a hundred to put in my supply bin.  The when you get underway, get more.

Come to think of it, that may not be a bad marketing method, few bucks less to drill your own??  And like ME sell in bulk as well.

It seems there are never enough blocks when I need them.

Tom

Chuck does that mean you are not going to finish the Winchelsea?????

You know, of course, that when you go into a business like this you have to give up something. Or do you have now more free time from your mother-in-law and space to do all of this??

I am glad you compared the stupid things put out by Model Expo with real blocks. It has been a pat peeve with me for a long time.

Yours. How can I order a bunch of various sizes for my next project?

Jay

Not for several months.   It really doesnt mean I have to give up the Winchelsea.   In fact,  I was in teh shop just now planking up her port side.  Only 3 strakes to go.   I just have to set aside one day for each size of blocks to start building up a stock of them.  They wont be ready for a while but they will be available at some point.  I have to create a website to make ordering easier and I will be putting my Rigging line and cannon up there as well.

So stay tuned.  It may not be until the fall but it will get done.  Looking to have the Winniw planked up this weekend so I can start treenailing.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - I am very interested in the blocks as well. Chuck - you also mention canons.. are these suitable for your ME version of the Syren?

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Yes the 12 pounders would work for the long guns but I dont have any carronades for sale.  Blocks will be ready over the summer.

Chuck