Int'l. Dragon Class II - by Cap 'n' Bob - 1:48 scale - small - Finished

Thanks for the plans and explanations Bob

I will study them until it makes sense to me.

Were you trying to glue the .5mm veneers together? If so

you are a brave man. Thanks Chris

Chris, I'm not that brave.  That's why I gave up.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

have you given though to get mahogany in thicker strips?   I've known some kits to use it as the supplied planking.   not that I would use it.......I've always thought of it as a finish wood.  I've done the method you've described,  doing the double planking.......I've liked the way it comes out :)     I don't think you really need be concerned with the thickness issue though........I think faring the hull frame will help you with that  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, I have 3/32 X 1/4 strips but that’s kind of big for this boat.  Prescott is a small town, about two hours drive from Phoenix or Flagstaff, the only hobby shop is in the next town, 15 miles, and they deal in planes, no wood and no plastic stock.  There is a Hobby Lobby there also, but as you know they only have balsa and basswood.  I could order wood on the web but I like to see what I am buying. 

As for the dragon hull I planked it with 1/32 sq. basswood strips.  It is surprising how much easier it is to work with .03” then .02” thick wood.  I then decided to just paint the hull.  I guess I need to build instead of saying ahead of time what I plan to do and then not doing it.   So here’s the hull as of now.

Bob

post-513-0-06683500-1435887912_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-94938200-1435887924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

looks great Bob..........I like basswood as well.   I've seen hulls done in mahogany,  and they look nice as well.   I used to order my wood from the Billing's outlet / warehouse in Wisconsin {Tom} ,  but I haven't ordered any since they closed.  what I was using was a wood called Obechi.    I've been getting stuff from Hobby Lobby

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking really great - it is a very nice hull form. It's too bad it seems most modern sailboats are following in the footsteps of the old ocean liners - grace and form and seaworthy arrangements giving way to chunky people crammers that don't fare well too far from port.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all.  The dragon is a lovely boat, I hope I can do her justice.  Now it’s time to show you more.  I’m building the deck off the boat.  The top of the sub-deck will be even with the sheer line of the hull and the deck will overlap the hull.  I’ve started by making the sub-deck to just fit inside the hull and the edge plank overlaps this and will be sanded to the hull edge when the deck is installed.

Bob

Top of deck

post-513-0-24441200-1436650202_thumb.jpg

Underside of deck

post-513-0-43591300-1436650219_thumb.jpg

Nice work Bob, she's going together pretty quick, She looks great

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Patrick, Pete, Carl, Thanks for the encouraging comments. 

I finally finished the planking of the deck.  The white wood is .030” square bass wood and the dark is an unknown .020” thick veneer that I stood on edge when I glued it all to the sub-deck.  After the glue had dried I cut, planed, sanded and scraped to get it all smooth.  Then the opening was cut for the cabin and cockpit.   The cross member in the hull is the aft cabin bulkhead support.  Most Dragons you see pictures of now days are made for racing but I decided to build this as a cruising boat.  So the cabin is a little larger and the cockpit is a little smaller. Also the new racing boats do not have an aft bulkhead on the cabin, as you can see below.

Bob  

post-513-0-81938800-1437242040_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-97231500-1437242052_thumb.jpg

Current racing configuration.

post-513-0-39651900-1437242066_thumb.jpg

Bob:

Between you and Patrick you're intimidating me with the small scale excellence.  Looking forward to seeing your latest in person - maybe this coming week.  I'll PM you.

looking sweet bob.........very nicely done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Bob

That deck, with the planks nicely cut into the margin plank running down the center is sublime!!!!! How did you do it, at such a small scale???

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick I wish I could take credit for that but it's an optical illusion due to the king plank and the brown planks being the same color.

Frank, Patrick is the master.  My 1:48 scale is huge compared to the scales he works in.

Thanks Popeye.  Your Titanic is looking good also.

Bob

Hi Bob

she is very pretty & really looks just like a dragon: elegant & patrician lines. I read that they were designed to have 2 bunks, I imagine they're pretty tight down below. 

One question: earlier you said " The cross member in the hull is the aft cabin bulkhead support." I don't really know dragons, but that looks like a traveller rail to me, for moving the main sheeting position up or down. Maybe they've put it on top of a bulkhead or something.

Another question - is that 2 pieces of noodle as a working stand? 

ta, Mak

Mark I agree The cabin would be very tight with just the bare essentials, if that much.  To answer the question, both are correct.  The cross member in the model will support the cabin bulkhead.  The cross member in the racing dragon is for main sail control. 

Bob

Well here I am again.  Eight days to build the Cockpit area, planked floor, benches and cabin bulkhead.  I got this far and it did not look right so back to the drawing board.  The cabin hatch was too small so the benches were too close together.  Make another bulkhead, it doesn’t work either.  Turned out the width of the deck opening was too narrow.  Once that was fixed everything went together.  So that’s what caused the time over-run.  Now on to the cabin walls and cockpit rails.   Until next time.

Bob

post-513-0-80051100-1438193501_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, thanks for all the good words.  Sorry for the delay, it was just a little thing called life that got in the way. 

Jparsley, I don’t blame you, I want one too.  Full size of course.

Mark, in the 60’s I lived on a boat and there were two cruising style dragons nearby.  I still remember how gracefully they moved in and out of the harbor.   

Bob

no need to apologize Bob on time issues........same thing is happening to me  :D  :D   I think your making great progress.   minor adjustments aren't really a bad thing........they are what will give you a stunning build when your done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: