Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Furled , unfurled or no sails -Preference

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Canada Steve

Canada Steve

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, Ontario, Canada

Hi Folks

I am at the  point on my Apostol Felipe where I have to decide how to display the sails or not to have them at all and I was looking for some input from members . I am really struggling  on this decision.

So i am not just looking for an opinion but also a reason why you like a cetain look, I'll start this with my thought process

Unfurled sails  can look a little bulky and cover up too much rigging (which after spending hours doing  seems a shame) but it can also give the ship some presence kind of a grand feel

No sails  can certainly show off rigging but Im not sure about the overall look

Furled sails ...I am on the fence about .

I know it is ultimately my decision but I am looking for some insights  that I might not have considered ( oh the little things we do sweat over)...thanks

current build : Apostol Felipe

past : Mississippi riverboat, Albatross and a few midwest kits

future : Santisima Trinidad

mtaylor

mtaylor

• Moderators
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Steve,

Have a look at the Articles..  particularly this one:  http://modelshipworl.../ScaleSails.pdf  

Stockholm tar

Stockholm tar

Commander

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Steve,

I fully expect to get shot down here  :pirate41:  but personally, I don't particularly like ship's on stands under full sail. That view probably stems from my museum background and the fact that the model is not 'afloat'. If it's a waterline model, then you might either have the ship under full sail or perhaps, rather more interestingly, with reduced canvas, or all sail furled with the ship at anchor.

However, I do like some sail on a model, thus I usually opt for furled or 'clewed up' canvas. On my present model, the Sherbourne, I am thinking of having one of the sails – probably a square topsail – set, but not drawing and with some crew figures working on it. That, I think, would add a little more interest to the overall model.

As you say, sails can hide much of the rigging that you spent such a lot of time working on, which is a valid point. That you have mentioned this 'problem' perhaps means that you perhaps wouldn't be satisfied with the full sail option?  Do think about the alternatives. 

I'm sure you'll hit on the right solution, but which it will be is of course entirely up to you. :)

• trippwj and avsjerome2003 like this

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Canada Steve

Canada Steve

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 23 posts

Hi guys

Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it very much ! I think I will go with a combination of furled and unfurled .This way I can show both methods and also keep a clear view of the deck .Thank you again for taking time to pass on your informaton ...steve

• CaptainSteve likes this

BareHook

BareHook

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • LocationPort St. Lucie, Florida

I like the look of sails, but when I get to the point of having to fabricate and add them, it will come down to whether my sailmaker (wife) is able to sew them to the needed precision, plus the difficulty of installing them as I have not yet done any rigging. I hope they work-out but won't kill myself trying to make it work.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Stockholm tar

Stockholm tar

Commander

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Steve,

Great. I look forward to seeing what arangement you come up with. ;)

Edited by Stockholm tar, 20 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Kester

Canada Steve

Canada Steve

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 23 posts

I have been taking pictures of the build from the start  for my own records ( and to show friends how much work goes into one of these ships) never with the intent of doing a build log  but maybe I should post them and help get the sites inventory back up

• trippwj, mtaylor and CaptainSteve like this

Stockholm tar

Stockholm tar

Commander

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Steve,

I think we'd all like to see your model, so do post your pictures. :)

Kester

Modeler12

Modeler12

Captain

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Steve I had the same thoughts and settled on the following for my USS Constitution, a war ship.

I am in the process of adding six sails. The spanker, jib and flying jib, and the three topsails. It is my understanding that this was one of the usual rigs for ships in battle. Others, such as the main course and perhaps the top gallant sails could be furled, but I decided not to do that because of the extra work and 'busy scene'. There are many paintings of ships in battle and they usually show all sails rigged, but unless there was a slight breeze, that was not usually so because it took too many men to handle the sails instead of the cannons.

Here is my first sail installed.sail 13.jpg

Notice I have not yet finished the rest of the mizzen mast at this point, because the shrouds need to go up first.

PS. I just remembered the picture below of the USS Constitution after its last overhaul. I think it was when it arrived in Boston. It had the sails rigged as I mentioned above.

conny rigging 2.jpg

Edited by Modeler12, 24 February 2013 - 12:55 AM.

• ScottRC likes this

Jay

For details about my Conny see http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

dgbot

dgbot

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Putting sails on a model depends on the modelers choice.  I think it depends on what you are building and how you want to present your model.  As for furling sails I will cut the sail in half and the result is a very realistic bundle.

David B

Edited by dgbot, 24 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Canada Steve

Canada Steve

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 23 posts

Thanks again everybody for the feedback , I am working out with some paper how best to cut out some of the bulk of the sails that came with the kit .I know that if they were real size they would be far too coarse  but I quite like the texture of the sails and  sewing is not my forte nor my wifes so I am going with the kit sails just trimmed down a bit.  thanks again ......Steve

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria

Commander

• Members
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

I think I lean more towards furled sails. That way you can have both standing and running rigging, and not having the sails to cover your rigging. Here's a few photos of my A.L Endeavour

Attached Thumbnails

• End258.JPG
  • End260.JPG
  • End276.JPG

• Landlubber Mike likes this

"There aren't but two options: do it fast or do it right."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart - San Felipe, Artesanía Latina - HMS Surprise, OcCre - Santísima Trinidad.

KeithW

KeithW

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Arguing that you should leave off the sails because it might hide your rigging is the same as arguing that you should leave off the top deck because of all the effort you put into detailing the second deck. If you like the look of sails, then go for it. I personally like sails ... IMO the ship looks incomplete without it. No car modeller would make a model of a car without tyres. I don't know why ship modellers keep making models of ships without sails. 

• Landlubber Mike and JerseyCity Frankie like this
Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways
post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

dvm27

dvm27

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

I'm not a huge fan of furled sails in static models but only because they usually appear over-scale and bulky. However, it can be done, and to good effect. For example see http://www.shipmodel...ivoli/index.htm and the beautiful work of Dr. Mike. I've read somewhere that decreasing the canvas (model sail) size by 25% helps keep proportions correct.

• JRB9019 likes this

Greg

Director, Nautical Research Guild

http://www.thenrg.org/

website

Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build

Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build

Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build

Speedwell, 1752

Blue Ensign

Blue Ensign

Captain

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationThe Green Shires of England

I'm rather with Greg on this one, and prefer the bare stick look on stand displayed models, and there is a great precedence for this with contemporary models of the eighteenth century. A ship in harbour for any length of time would have the sails taken down so it's not inconsistent to display a model 'bare stick'

The problem with kit provided sails is that the material is mostly way over scale and lacks the detail that sails should properly have such as the reinforced areas. Out of scale stitching and poor reef points can further detract from the overall look.

On the other hand fitting sails does allow the modeller to show the function of the running rigging and I do like to see sails on waterline models in a diorama setting, but that's the only situation I would personally fit them.

In the end tho' it's all down to personal preference and what individual modellers like.

B.E.

• Cuda1949 and nightwisher like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.