Micro Power Sanders

MicroMark sells a micro power sander.  So far, it's worked very well for those areas I can't get my fat fingers into.  The sanding pads are sticky and hold well.  I've also been cheap and cut up sandpaper and rubber cemented it to the sanding "shape". 

post-76-0-88938300-1361126757.jpg

Micromark also sells this one: post-76-0-65638300-1361126859.jpg

Again, I'm finding it very useful.  I found that the tips can be trimmed to fit openings (such as gunports) which makes it a lot easier to rough them in before using a sanding stick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Clever I like the way things are used for additional purposes than they were designed for.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mark, this micro sander looks a lot like my electric toothbrush sander. Mine costs about $15 versus yours at about $100.

See another post on this subject.

post-246-0-97658600-1361131433_thumb.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

I fiddled with one of those but I guess the cheap disposibles just aren't up to the task.  One of my little projects currently is figure out how to make a reciprocationg saw using these Xacto saw blades: 

post-76-0-32964300-1361131766.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I don't think the micro sander or toothbrush would have much umpphhh for the saw blades even if they are small.

I have considered using an electric hair clipper. That would give you plenty of power, does require an extension cord, but to adapt it to a sanding pad or the saw blade is tricky. The oscilating blade of the hair clipper goes sideways, not back and forth.

I have one of those trimmers for sideburns, and other facial hairs, but again they have no power.

Perhaps there are other small appliances that are better.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

Mark here is another possibility. Look at the electric knives below. The handle is about seven inches long. The second model by Black&Decker sells for about $13.

In fact I may check this out for a stronger sander. B)

post-246-0-51283200-1361138230.jpg

post-246-0-13242700-1361138241_thumb.jpg

Jay

Jay,

That might be perfect.  I tried that second sander I posted but couldn't the blade mounted properly. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 months later...

Mark,

just saw your post about the pen sander.  I am considering one.  Do you think the transformer with the speed control is necessary? If not, the set up would be a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Transformer????  Micromark's just plugs into the wall socket (mains).  One speed and one speed only.  So far, it's been a blessing and saved my fingers hours of sanding decks and the ceiling.  And, yes, it if died tomorrow I'd be ordering another one.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I was thinking of the Proxxon sanding pen that requires a transformer.  I should have realized that Micromark would sell a similar item.  If the speed control is not a big deal, the Micromark without transformer would be the more convenient option.

Thanks for the info,

Richard

Richard

Janos,

I now see that there are the two threads about speed control. 

I receive emails of the conversations I am following and my practice is to select the "topic can be found here..." link to go to the thread.  Without realizing it I ended up in the two, similar threads. This probably has been confusing things for me a little.

Lesson learned...

Thanks,

Richard

Richard

Mark,

Is the Wahl sander effective with hull and deck, or for runs such as lintels? I.e., to keep fair.

Thanks, Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Richard,

I use both tools.  The upper picture of my first post, the pen sander works well on the decks, hulls, etc.  The lower one, I've used for lintels and other things.  It's just becomes a choice of picking the right tool for the work in front of me. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd update this a bit.  Being the rather frugal person (ok... cheap.  Let's call a spade a spade), I was looking for a way to save some money on the sanding pads for these sanders.   I finally found the answer....  Sanding disks from the local hardware store that have sticky back on them.  I figure that one pack of disks for the $7 I spent will make up for not spending $100 at Micromark for the specialized pads.   Just cut out a piece, put it on  the sander and trim.  And they seem to last longer (different material?) than the MM pads.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I agree.  I bought similar sticky back pads.  They are a lot less expensive, last longer and seem to work better.  I put some of the money saved into an extra set of tips so I can keep two grades ready.

Richard

Richard

MicroMark sells a micro power sander.  So far, it's worked very well for those areas I can't get my fat fingers into.  The sanding pads are sticky and hold well.  I've also been cheap and cut up sandpaper and rubber cemented it to the sanding "shape". 

Been up and down about getting this.  Could have used it for fairing the inside of the Longboat.  Guess with this recommendation the matter is settled.  Got a birthday coming up and I'll be sure to let the kids know.  Probably need it when I get the Bounty Launch.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Janos,

I tried that but it didn't work for me for some reason.  Might the backing material on the sandpaper.  I did try rubber cement, contact cement and they wouldn't stick to the plastic part.  The next time I'm at the home improvement store I'll see what they have that might be different.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark

there is even a simpler solution for this which I have been using with my Pen Sander for years. You just need the 'simple' sandpaper (no need for adhesive back) and a thin  double sided tape (the one used for carpets is excellent). Simpler, cheaper, and works beautifully!

Janos

Great tip thanks Janos! :)

I have been using Great Planes sticky back sandpaper that was meant to be used on their aluminum hand sander.  I got it from Tower Hobbies. The roll is 12 feet long and cost about $8.00.  I just cut a piece off and stick it to the pad.  It sticks well and the grit lasts longer than the Micro Mark version which is hugely expensive.  I bought this roll when I started the Oseberg and as you can see the roll seems to last forever.

post-9182-0-95739600-1411483242_thumb.jpg  

I have had both of these tools for more than 10 years.  The pen sander just chugs along and with no signs of giving up.  I have had to replace the tips over the years because I just wore them out.  The Wahl sander is cordless and I have replaced the battery and now the switch is going south.  I will replace it when it finally gives up but I will probably buy the corded version.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Steve,

See the very first post of this topic:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/341-micro-power-sanders/?p=3246

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

I just checked out the first post and then checked out Micro Mark. $92.65 for the micro sander? I guess we have different ideas on frugal. My idea is to glue some sandpaper to a Popsicle stick, drink about 5 cups of strong coffee, and become an "organic" sanding machine. :) :)

Best,

Steve

Yike... when I bought mine, there were a lot less.   :o  The popsicle stick idea works well as use it a lot. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

I just checked out the first post and then checked out Micro Mark. $92.65 for the micro sander? I guess we have different ideas on frugal. My idea is to glue some sandpaper to a Popsicle stick, drink about 5 cups of strong coffee, and become an "organic" sanding machine. :) :)

Best,

Steve

Yeah, but now you are spending a fortune for coffee.  :D 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck.

Coffee and/or adult beverages are part of the "normal" expenses.  :)  :) :)  

BTW, there are similar sanders available out there at less money.  Probably made by the same people in China but under a different name.  I found the same mini-chop saw that MM sells for ~$100 US at Harbor Freight for ~$25. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

Best,

Steve

Steve, Mark

I just bought one this summer from MM on sale for less than $80 (US) based on the recommendations of many on these forums.  Steve you can also use the "nail file" emery sticks you can get in an drug store or grocery - they have a different grit on each side. Have used them for over a year and they work fine. Seem to last quite a while as well.

Jack