Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

First up, Welcome One and All !!!

For now, my USS Constitution is currently on-hold - although some may (perhaps rightfully) argue that it hasn't even begun.

(At this point, my Connie's boats are almost complete, bulkheads have been faired, keel pieces cut, but that's about it !!)

I really must commence this log by stating that, to start with, I wasn't planning on doing another kit along the way.

However, a number of circumstances changed my mind.

First and foremost was that my expectations for my own work have grown exponentially since I joined MSW, and this is due purely to all of the amazing builds I have viewed here.

Secondly, I feel there are a number of modelling skills which I need to work on before I could possibly hope to do justice to a proper rendition of Ol' Ironsides.

(Especially with the number of Americans here on MSW, I well run the risk of irreparably damaging US-Australian diplomatic relations !!)

Third, recently myself and a good friend were discussing a number of matters over a few beers (OK lots of beers !! It was Australia Day !!). At any rate, the topic came, somehow, to the Bounty mutiny. At some point, I brashly stated that "One day, I'll build you a model of the Bounty."

To this, my friend replied that he would instead prefer to have a replica of the Mutiny longboat.

(I should mention that this friend is aware of my modelling, and has seen - first-hand - how many years it takes me to do them.)

It dawned on me that I could "kill two birds". And so I started to see what was around, read through a number of stunning builds of the same kit, saw some of the pitfalls that have been experienced, and also some of the "bashes" which others have taken to improve their own kits.

(I am a kit-basher !!)

As such, this build will be heavily influenced by the works of: UsedToSail, Cap'n Rat Fink, Amfibius, Meredith and others.

Comments, tips and hints graciously accepted.

EDIT: For ease of access, here is the link to the Bounty Launch "database" which I created during this build.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

As I still have to finish off the ship-boats for my Constitution, I will leave you with the mandatory box pictures:

post-675-0-68749700-1392297043_thumb.jpg post-675-0-73672100-1392297052_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Welcome aboard, one and all. This is a virtual space, so there's plenty of room for popcorn carts, drinks trays, dune-buggies and even llamas ...

At this point, commencement is still a couple of weeks away as I need to finish the boats of my USS Constitution prior to starting this build. The “furniture” for these is all that remains to be done.

Before I begin in earnest, some ideas I’d like to share for this build:

• For the first time, I will have tree-nails !!

I have never done these before but, especially at this scale (1/16), firmly believe they will add life to my launch. This is one of the skills which I feel I will later need, not only when laying Connie’s decking, but perhaps even when doing the bolts inside her bulwarks.

• I will have bench thwart knees !!
  • Another of the skills which I must learn is small-scale metal-working. Silver-soldering and realistic blackening of metal is completely new to me. 

A read-thru of some of the other Bounty Launch builds has provided a few inspirations … 
Amfibius, I am most definitely in favour of the natural wood look. Assuming I can pull it off as well as you have, then that will be on my agenda.  However, I’m planning on fully-planked.

UTS – I sooooo need a line-serving contraption like yours (drool) !!

Rat Fink – Your historical approach was immensely informative. I will need to give serious thought to issues such as:  how the masts will be positioned; bow-sprit or no bow-sprit; how to do the breasthook; and stern quarter-knees.
And your tool-chest !! You and your storm-trooper are masters of detail. I salute the pair of you.
Oh, and I’m getting me a laser-level !!! That thing looks awesome.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I recently read through a transcript of the mutiny log. It is truly a fascinating story of survival.

For myself, I was impressed by Bligh’s seamanship and leadership.

He may well have been an overly-harsh disciplinarian, and perhaps a few dozen of his former crew may have preferred to spend the rest of their lives in the company of bare-breasted, nubile native girls. But give him his due; Bligh was a skilled and stoic English naval officer to the very end.

One further addition which I am planning is to construct a replica of Bligh’s Log - from just prior to the mutiny event up until they arrived safely in Timor.

A book-binder I spoke with has suggested that the log transcript could be re-printed into a leather-bound booklet. They could then create a water-damaged effect by staining each of the pages. I should like to include recreations of relevant maps and drawings made during the journey.

More on this later.

(Incidentally, it was whilst reading Bligh’s log that I decided to do away with a winch for this build. Although I was a fan of these for my Connie’s whale-boats, I found no reference to whaling anywhere in Bligh's log.)

Historical foot-note: Did you know that, after the Mutiny incident, Bligh was appointed as Governor of the fledgling penal colony in Australia ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Since I have such a distinguished captive audience, a question (or two):

I noticed the lack of planking joints in the build of this kit.

At a scaled-up length of some 23-foot (7mtr), would not there have been at least one joint per strake ??

And would these have been scarph joints, or butt joints ??

(I think hooked-scarph would look really good - staggered every third or fourth strake) 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Steve, I will be pulling up a chair to watch. Make sure your Launch is nice and watertight, I hear there are a lot of sharks over there in Perth ;) 

As for scarphing for small boats like these, I too asked that question. However I have not been able to find any evidence for it. My build was heavily influenced by the Huon Pine boat builders of Tasmania. I have seen quite a few of these boats, and none of them have scarph joints. I took my inspiration for the honey coloured wood and treenails from them, but the two tone wood colours were my idea. Frankly, probably not authentic - but it does look good! 

You are right that the windlass (and the crane) were probably not on the ship when Bligh was cast away. Those things were used for retrieving the anchor or towing the Bounty out of tight spots or when there was not much wind. They were probably either thrown overboard or left on the ship. 

I note that your kit is a little different from mine - different box, and your instructions are in colour! I was a little baffled when my instructions referred to the "colour" of the wood several times ... when my instructions were in black and white. 

Good luck with your build, I can't wait to see what you come up with. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

CapnSteve,

Looks like you'll have lots of fun. It is a little different building a larger scale, but you can really add detail-including some glossed over by the kit.

Regarding the planking joints, I suspect the planks are butted against each other with butt blocks backing up the joint. We have a replica of one of the HMS Discovery's launches where we keep our boat (it's about 30' long). I'll be down there Sunday to go sailng, and will take a look. Granted, it is a replica, but it's probably built similar to the original.

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Harvey

Go for it.  The MS Bounty Launch makes into a great model.  What is nice is that it can be modified inseveral ways.  I have even seen it used in a great diorama depicting Bligh and his men being out on the ocean.  I wish I could find that photo.  When I do I will post it.

David B

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to following this build.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

When are we going to see some glue action. The suspense is killing me. :dancetl6:

Jeez ... the wood may be patient, but certain audience members sure as heck ain't !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Commencement is still about a week away. I have to finish off my Connie's boats first.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Go for it.  The MS Bounty Launch makes into a great model.  What is nice is that it can be modified inseveral ways.  I have even seen it used in a great diorama depicting Bligh and his men being out on the ocean.  I wish I could find that photo.  When I do I will post it.

David B

If you find that pic, DG, be sure to post it.

I've seen one with the Launch beached at the water's edge of a tropical island which looked really good.

Am pretty certain it was here on MSW, too.

Doubtful that I'll be doing anything THAT fanciful.

However, I do want to add in new barrels, the cutlasses, even UTS' half-cut coconut ... and I may even have a crack at doing Rat Fink's open tool chest.

Apart from the Mutiny Log Book mentioned above, which will sit just next to the completed model on its' pedestal stand, I'll be considering "crewing" this build with a model of Bill Bligh himself. Maybe he could be seated at the stern of the Launch with one hand on the tiller. This was actually a request from the person for whom this build is intended (my good friend, CaptainAndrew).

As I've never tried recreating anything like a human before - particularly one which will have to be recognizable at 1/16 scale - then I plan to call upon the talents of another friend. This person (known to followers of my Connie build as MrCritic) is a scale modeller of historical army figurines.

We'll see how that turns out ... 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I look forward to your build ! You have a really cool concept in mind.

For figures, I would suggest a search through ebay for 120mm figures or 1/16 figures. Much easier to convert than to sculpt entirely from scratch.

Here is a link to a male nude that might be a good starting point to modify......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verlinden-120mm-Academy-Figure-Male-752-/180538829031?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a08f3e8e7

Good luck with your project !

Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

Thanks Joe,

That would make a great start to producing my Bligh -- tho' I'd have to sew him his own clothes, hat etc etc. I'll worry about this part of my build once the Launch is a lot closer to being finished than it is now.

Incidentally, we have a holiday weekend coming up. I'm aiming to get my Constitution's boats finished this week so that I can spend the 3 days making a start on my Bounty Launch.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I can't imagine taking on the task of crewing the launch. I will be thrilled with a clean planking job on mine. It sure is a slow but fun process though.

When you build your form give some thought to putting the sheer tabs on after it's all faired in. They really make to hard to do a clean job when in place. Of course it could just be my lack of experience too.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Epoxy putty is a great material to use for sculpting the main clothing, and lead foil is useful for straps and such. The putty can be mixed. rolled out, flattened, applied and sculpted to final shape. Work in layers - just as you would get dressed- it's not as hard as you might think.

-Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

When you build your form give some thought to putting the sheer tabs on after it's all faired in. They really make to hard to do a clean job when in place. Of course it could just be my lack of experience too.

Alde, I noticed that point in your build log. I'll be paying special attention to it when I get up to that stage.

Epoxy putty is a great material to use for sculpting the main clothing, and lead foil is useful for straps and such. The putty can be mixed. rolled out, flattened, applied and sculpted to final shape. Work in layers - just as you would get dressed- it's not as hard as you might think.

-Joe

Joe, food for thought. I'll keep it in mind for when the time comes. I guess the "working in layers" thing kinda makes sense when I think about it.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That's enough!!! Less talking, more sawdust! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

For heaven's sake !!

Sjors, get these guys a drink and some damn popcorn !!!

(Although, I guess you lot DO have a point. I mean, no-one else has ever gone two pages into a build log without even making a start !!)

Arr ... this weekend. I promise !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ah... made it before the sawdust started flying...  I'll take one of the chairs off to the side...  post-76-0-88614900-1393563282.gif  but I couldn't find the llama....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)