Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Good morning Druxey, in answer to your question absolutely, I am not quite set on the final configuration of some details yet and so I am waiting for the AHA moment when I know how I am going to detail them. Also the main cabin roof will need to be removable and watertight.

When I take the mast off I will also finish off the shelf for the boom to rest on and remove the brass goosneck fitting.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

looks great Michael........more deck work!  it will really shine when you get the hull painted  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, an admission of guilt, I've been 'lurking' on this forum for many, many months and am utterly blown away by the skill and ingenuity shown here.

I have been especially taken with this build as the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters are, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful yachts ever built. As to the building skills of Mr Michael Mott, well, all I can say is that if I'm able to develop just 10% of his extraordinary skills/abilities then I shall indeed be a very happy man!!

Michael, if I'm not mistaken, I believe you're originally from my part of the world (Cornwall, UK) - I just wish you were still here so that I may see the products of your undoubted talent 'in the flesh' so to speak....

Having read (& re-read!) this thread I understand that it's your intention to make this yacht radio controlled. Out of interest, what sort of make/specification of sail winch servo do you plan on using?

In the meantime, very many congratulations on achieving a truly phenomenal piece of work, I remain in awe!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Popeye, Wow I just realized that I have not done any posts on this thread since the 13th of August, it seems like ages ago, I almost trip over the pilot cutter every time I walk to the bandsaw while I have been absorbed with Maria, I purchased the paint for the hull a while back.

Sherry thanks for your kind remark, I think that you are also one who does very clean and precise work, judging from the pictures of your own build.

Row, Thank you very much for coming out of the lurking door, your comments were a pick up for me this evening . I was feeling a little low for some reason, perhaps I need to take a break and work on the pilot cutter for a couple of days, give the big boat a rest. Row I am confident with tools for sure as to my skills at boat building it seems that I am not alone in doing things more than once. The school of hard knocks in any field is not the easiest path to travel but the satisfaction when one gets it right is worth the effort. I wish I had started building these models 30 years ago, by now I would definitely have a better idea of what I am doing.

If it were not for this site I might not have got this far with my model, the many skilled builders who share their work and Ideas is inspirational and at the same time very encouraging, browsing the build logs is an education in itself, full of great ideas.

I do hope that you start a build log and share with us some of your own knowledge of boats knowing that you have worked on the full sized ones, I am sure that you have a lot to contribute.

I am indeed from the UK my sister lives in Devon. We grew up in London, Cornwall is my favourite county, I have very fond memories of St Ives, and Tintagel.

Lastly regarding the radio control I am completely green when it comes to radio control other that knowing it can be done. I understand that Spectrum is a type that is good, it is also one of the reasons that the whole cabin area is not finished is because I need to sort out all that stuff.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael,

My professional link with boats comes from working on various privately owned and charter yachts, although this sadly had to come to an early and almost rude end after 30 years behind the wheel (although IIRC, the first 5 years or so were spent carrying out the tasks that more senior crew members had no desire to do!) owing to a rather unpleasant back injury. In a somewhat long winded way, what I'm trying to say is that yes, I know the 'correct' way to bolt one together, what I lack is the ability and to a greater degree, the confidence to give it ago - at least from a PoF perspective.

My 'on-going' project at the moment is 1/28th scale model of the J Class yacht 'Enterprise'. I never could watch 'StarTrek' as a child, 'Enterprise' could only ever have been a yacht which first raced in 1930!! The rest were only ever seen as young pretenders!

I will endeavour to bring a log to this site - I'm slowly reaching the stage where the expertise contained within the collective minds of these forumites will undoubtedly prove beneficial. My only hope is that I'll be able to maintain a 'quid pro quo' and be of some use to all other members whose work,like yours, I'm in complete awe of. .(How many times have I said that already?)

Anyway, for those who maybe interested, my current build log may be found at (from the beginning):

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Do feel free to have a nose around and any comments and/or suggestions will be much appreciated. I implore that you go easy on me, in my defence this is my first scratch built boat - I don't even posess a set of construction drawings (although would that not then make it a 'Kit?!!). Prior to this I did attempt a 'vintage style' Marblehead, although I should point out that it was actually my father who carried out the most practically demanding aspects. Maybe she'll hit the water some day!

Ok, that's it for now, my fingers & thumbs are beginning to ache - actually it's just the index finger of my right hand, so I'll draw this first missive to a conclusion by wishing all and sundry a good night (depending on your time zone - for those not headed that way perhaps a simple adieu will suffice?). Either way, all that remains from me to be said is,

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Michael,

Check out this build:  First Class Sloop of War Constellation by Jerry Todd in 1:36 scale.  Jerry is building a large multi sailed ship and may be able to help you with your sail control.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3244-first-class-sloop-of-war-constellation-by-jerry-todd-in-136-scale/

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

really looks nice. great build, keep up the good work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hello everyone, thanks for the kind remarks and information.

I just got back from a speedy drive to the coast and back to visit my Son and Grandson, I did manage to pick up a book on sail-making, and some fine small diameter three strand "rope" for the cutter. Some needles and waxed twine for the big "model" sails.

I need a couple of days to catch up , it was actually great to be completely disconnected.

I saw a lot of boats and water though, though I did not snap lots of pics for some reason.

This tree in Hope BC was intriguing though, it is a Cedar and a Douglas fir growing very close together.

post-202-0-19681300-1378836852_thumb.jpg

I thought about how appropriate cedar planking over fir frames are.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Looking nice

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

hey Michael.....just checking in to see if was new progress on the cutter.    any new progress on Maria as well?   the season is waining my friend.........I fear your deadline may be put on hold. :(

"Alas,  poor Yorick........this,  is the winter of our discontent!"

{I never could get my plays right either :D }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Amazing work.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 4 weeks later...

Evenin' all

back at the workbench today for a bit more mucking about with block making.

I was given a very nice antique block when I was on the west coast in the early part of September, so I am modelling the new block sort of along the same lines, rather than machining the block out of a solid piece I thought I would have a go at fabricating it in the more traditional manner. the locator pins are tapered watchmaking pins pushed into a .040 holes.

post-202-0-56344500-1382674150_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-27870300-1382674156_thumb.jpg

The brass insert frame is .031" x .125"

The wood is Apple.

We have had a little excitement round these parts the last week, the train derailment at Gainford is 2 miles from my house

these shots were on Sunday night the smoke is from the controlled explosion! freaked us out , it would have been nice if they had told us they were going to do it.

post-202-0-31194200-1382674152_thumb.jpg

the level crossing I have to cross to get to the highway 16 right after the explosion.

post-202-0-63611000-1382674153_thumb.jpg

its all "quiet now on the western front"

Michael

John yes it does seem that way, the lake is still open, we have had some very nice warm weather this last month.

After supper I managed to nearly finish the new block , I like this way of building them much better than the earlier method , perhaps because it is the way the full sized ones are made.

post-202-0-72061300-1382686087_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-99707000-1382686088_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-40270700-1382686090_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-66131700-1382686091_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-32120400-1382686086_thumb.jpg

using the new twisted shackles as well, I like the look and texture of the apple block.

Michael

this is the cool part with the scale of this build........your able to get down to the nuts and bolts of just about everything.   the blocks look super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Druxey, yes it was a bit nerve wracking, the village administration was on standby all day Saturday just in case.

Regarding the block I think I will pursue this way of making them and develop some jigs to make it a more smooth flow of tasks. I am also curious as to how small I can make them this way. the new block is .71" long which scales to 5.7 inches and .45" wide  scaling to 3.6 inches and .4" thick.

These sizes are a bit random I admit, now comes the serious task of making some blocks to an accurate size, as per the information on the Davey Ash Block specification sheet. typically

3 Inch shell length for rope 8-10mm

3 1/2 inch shell length for rope 10-12mm

4 inch shell length for r0pe 12-14

and their larger blocks

6 5/16 shell length for rope 16-18mm

7 3/4 shell length for rope 20-22mm

8 3/4 shell length for rope 24-26mm

These particular blocks were inspired by their 1928 range of ash blocks, I am sure there are all sorts of other manufactures who make similar blocks but for my purposes these give a good range and I like the way their blocks look. were I making a model of a particular working boat I would be more particular.

Michael

Hi Popeye

Thanks we must have been posting at the same time. as I noted above the proof will be in the pudding.

Michael

Hi! Michael, not much I can say as its already been said! it really is a fantastic build,

I will be starting a Bristol channel pilot cutter as soon as I finish the 1817 naval cutter, Hilda is the one I want to build but have not seen any plans for her yet but I have the other ones plan but the name slips my mind just now!

if you have seen or heard of plan for Hilda would be grateful for details,

the other thing is what size thread did you start of with for making your rope, and did you use the same thread for them all just upping the number of threads,

Mick

it must be great working in that scale the amount of detail is superb, I have made blocks the same way but a little smaller I have them rigged up on my side lamp just holding a weight at present also a memory stick. I used a large knitting needle first filing the groove then cutting it of in slices, building the body up almost identical but without the pins, I will try making smaller ones the same way,

mick 

John, I suppose that's alright.

Mick, thanks for the kind words, I will look and see what I have regarding Hilda, I would love to see a picture of your blocks, what scale are you thinking of building Hilda?

Michael

I had a go at a smaller block today out of Maple. it is the front one, the brass is .015" x .125" the pins are .031"

the shell length is .45" width .33" and thickness .25" which all translates to a block in scale just over 3 1/2 long  x 2 inches thick good for scale 3/8 rope.

post-202-0-83824300-1382764110_thumb.jpg

I think that most of the blocks will be bigger than this one but at least I know I can make them this small and still have them functional. most of the blocks will be as big as the rear one which is the same size as the apple one.

I'm really glad this is not a fully rigged ship of the line, or I would go bonkers.

Michael

John yes that would be a problem.

today I made a new eye-bolt for the mast for the topping lift. and added the small block.

Also made a .156 mill bit for slotting the inside of the block shell cheeks, basically I snapped of the bottom part of a .156 drill bit and reground it on the bench grinder it works like a charm.

post-202-0-90223600-1382939626_thumb.jpg

Also today I worked on a jig to create the small curve at the bend of the metal frame of the block, I basically used the same method as for the thimbles for the eye-slices.

I cut a slice of 1/8th gauge plate and filed it smooth then rounded the end and filed in a small groove using a needle file.

Next I bent some 1/8th diameter hard steel rod (heated it to cherry red) into a sort of hook and attached a handle so that I could keep my fingers away from the hammer.

post-202-0-33337600-1382939628_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-78294400-1382939629_thumb.jpg

After removing from the form.

post-202-0-31888900-1382939631_thumb.jpg

I did anneal the very middle section before bending it to fit over the form

post-202-0-52746100-1382939625_thumb.jpg

The new 6 inch block I made today with maple, I like the look of it as much as the apple and I have lots of strips of maple so I will probably use it for the rest of the blocks.

Michael

very interesting work Michael !  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: