Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

The rest of us just build mockups; fakes if you will of blocks

Mark that might be true but I am sure that there are lots of details that you builders of fully rigged ships add that I would not.

As they say, "just like a bought one."

John thanks for that.

What Mark and John said. I am out of words. Those blocks are just unbelievable.

Russ thanks, your own restoration work and attention to detail and research have given me inspiration.

Sweet! Almost too nice and pristine. But time will take care of that.

Druxey you are absolutely right the hard knocks of being a working boat will no doubt take its toll.

Seriously?

Are you sure you're working at 1/8th scale?

You're not putting us on and building 1:1 are you?

Andy Busted! I told Gulliver it would be found out one day.

Really extraordinary work, Michael!

Greg thank you.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Great craftsmanship as ever Michael

Jaerschen, thanks Like everyone here I am always looking to do a better job on the next piece.

Newdarksider101

Michael, I'm totally blown away by your work--you sir, are a master craftsman and then more!

I don't think I could say itany better myself! Beautiful!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:10 PM JMaitri
Michael, I'm totally blown away by your work--you sir, are a master craftsman and then more!

Jay

Jay and Sherry thanks you for those kind words.

Last night and today I did a little bit of woodwork on the gaff.

I had already planed up the spar and so the jaws were cut out of a piece of Apple wood that I have had kicking around for a while now. I started to fret it out with the coping saw and discovered that it was tougher than cutting brass, so I dragged out the scroll saw(I don't really like using it )and put in a brand new blade and still struggled with the apple.

Then a lot of work with a coarse sanding stick to rough shape them. then planed a couple of flats on the sides of the spar and glued on the apple rough shapes.

post-202-0-39364900-1446789663_thumb.jpg

After the jaws had glued overnight I set about doing the final shaping, using some small carving chisels and the #11 blade

post-202-0-22470900-1446789664_thumb.jpg

A couple of hours later I did some final sanding and then a good rub down with some fine steel wool, and a coat of golden oak polyurethane.

post-202-0-12386300-1446789665_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-83809200-1446789665_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-68283400-1446789666_thumb.jpg

Next I need to cut the slot for the Tumbler and fit the throat halliard attachment and the parrel beads. I will use Lignum vitae for the beads, I also need to add the through bolts for securing the jaws to the spar..  I am torn whether to add the leather over the jaws because I like the look of the apple. But some fine leather stitched might look pretty as well.

Perhaps I will do an experiment with some leather on a bit of scrap and see how it looks.

Michael 

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

The spar and jaws look good. What will you do for parrels?

Russ

Andy, thanks I did a little experiment this evening.

Russ I am going to use Lignum Vitae parrel beads on a line.

The experiment looks promising, I think that i prefer the light colour leather better. it was from an old wallet.

post-202-0-81836700-1446789940_thumb.jpg

The light leather was sewn in situ but I used way too heavy a thread, the dark leather from a ladies leather dress (Great source for very fine thin leather) I picked up at a second hand store some time ago for $10 to make some leather seats for a model coach, was sewn off the wood like a finger for a glove.

If I decide to add the leather I might glue it on first then I can create a neat seam. and also add some tacks along the side of the spar.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

if the glove fits.........wonder what the other best dressed boats are wearing these days  ;)      simply superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Brian, thanks for stopping by, I am sure that I would not have the patience to make something with more than one mast.

Druxey the short answer is no, that said I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to solving a problem, it is why I have such a large scrap box(es).

if the glove fits

Made me laugh Popeye.

In between some of the myriad projects that I seem to have on the go I found a frame with some wheels at the dump, it is from a child's bicycle carriage, and after straightening it up and pumping up the tires I measured it up and I have the foundation for the transport trolley. the wheels are 15 1/2 inches in diameter. I will make it so that there is some springing on the undercarriage so that the rather rough road gets compensated for.

post-202-0-46987000-1446790382_thumb.jpg

It will need a few bits of wood added and will need some mudguards, but I have a few bikes that I have collected from the same place so it will be great to get the trolley sorted now that I have the basic frame.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Interesting looking carriage.  I agree it will be a lot easier than lowering the mast.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hmm.... fascinating work with the gaff and leather.  The trolley intriques me.  Will we be seeing a 1/8 scale truck to tow it with?  Enquiring minds and all that..... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

B.E. Thanks for stopping by glad you like the boat.

Bob, the thought of taking down the mast when I want to go sailing would be more work than on the Maria.

Mark, the leather work is challenging to say the least.

Michael

Greg thanks for stopping by and your kind words.

Today while out picking up some lumber for the other model I also stopped in a Michaels Store and purchased some Hemp beading cord. I am going to try the fine weight in the rope machine to see what sort of rope it makes.

post-202-0-26869600-1373260549_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87009600-1373260551_thumb.jpg

This heavier stuff might work for making some rope fenders.

post-202-0-37299900-1373260547_thumb.jpg

Michael

I like the hemp rope Michael.    I used it on my first two builds,  the Nordkap and the Cux.........think I used it on the Mary Ann as well,  but I can't remember.......huh....my mind.   it looks so much like real rope........can be kind of a bear to work with,  but it shapes nice.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the commendation on the hemp Popeye, it will be interesting to see how the fine stuff lays up in the rope machine.

Michael

All this fine work and making your own rope.  Your a jack of all trades it seems.  

Jmaitri, thanks for your kind remark.

late last night I set up the rope walk and had a go with the Hemp.

post-202-0-36359400-1373381048_thumb.jpg

3 strands of 6lb

post-202-0-70017900-1373381052_thumb.jpg

made some rope that is .071 inch diameter

3 strands of 48lb

made some rope that is .132 inches in diameter

post-202-0-42706000-1373381044_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, off to help my friend again today.

Michael

Between this build and your restoration/redesign project, I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing your excellent craftsmanship, Michael!

I couldn't agree more.  You're projects are a joy to watch.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

wonderful work on the ropes..........love the texture  :)     do you have to coat it with anything........like with diluted white glue?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Bob, Popeye I want these ropes to be soft so no I will not be coating them with any glue, or they will not run through a block.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

this is a facinating model you have in Project, it reminds me of the real dreamboat I allways admired so much (was the gaff rigged Pilot cutter from Cornish Crabbers), but allways remained out of reach for me. I had many happy sailing years with my Little Gaff Cormorant dinghy instead.

Your model is really representing one of those plank on edge Bristol channel cutters, wonderfull...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils

Thank you for stopping by, and your kind words. Yesterday I purchased the paint for the hull, it will be a dark blue green colour, I will be mixing a midnight blue with a forest green to obtain the colour I am looking for. When we get a dry spell, (it seems to be raining every day for the last two months) I will take the hull out side and spray the paint on the hull.

Michael

Jay thanks for stopping by and your kind words, yes the weather is being a little inclement at the moment more than the rain on Maria it is rather cool at the moment it was only 16 degrees Celsius yesterday, and is going down to 8 degrees Celsius  tonight.

After spending a good chunk of yesterday afternoon cleaning and tidying up the shop, I did a little work on the gaff. I made the metal hanger for attaching the Halliard and down-haul it is 1/16th by 1/4 inch brass, also ground a tool for making some beads out of a short dowel of Lignum Vitea The dowel was turned on the lathe from some square stock. that I cut off the billet I have had for perhaps 20 years at least.

post-202-0-95312000-1446791179_thumb.jpg

The rope holding the parrel beads is made from Gutterman black cotton.

post-202-0-73631000-1446791180_thumb.jpg

The beads are a scale 1 1/2" in diameter. I still have to make the slide block it will fit in the 3/16 slot. once I have made the slide I will go back and finish the leather for the jaws.

Michael

Edited by michael mott