Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Michael,

These deadeyes are much better.  1/16th steel cable is not easy to work with but you did a fine job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Daniel thanks for the kind words.

Druxey, thanks yes it feels good to finally have solved this one.

Bob thanks, it was a bit more difficult to work with than I anticipated.

John thanks again for all your encouragement and critical support.

Today I finished seizing the other three shrouds, and I realized that I did not want the forstaye to lay on top of the shrouds. there are some great drawings in the book "The Gaff Rig" by John Leather ISBN 0 229 97489 9 published by Adlard Coles Limited. That show some different variations on Cranes for raising the Gaff, some with a seat for the forestay. so this was today's project after finishing up all the seizings on the shrouds.

I needed to make the crane so that I could determine the new length of the forestay.

I did a scribble on some 1/8th inch thick brass sheet and drilled a few holes.

post-202-0-91498600-1370141830_thumb.jpg

Then I used the jewelers saw to fret out the shape

post-202-0-63465300-1370141832_thumb.jpg

The long section was then turned in the lathe while held in the four jaw chuck and threaded 5x40

post-202-0-31958400-1370141834_thumb.jpg

I test fitted it to the mast.

post-202-0-98172200-1370141835_thumb.jpg

next was the toughest part filing it to the soft shapes, and a final buffing on the wire wheel, which gives the brass a sort of "cast" look.

post-202-0-21036500-1370141837_thumb.jpg

And a shot of it on the mast.

post-202-0-80557900-1370141828_thumb.jpg

I will drill and add a 1/16th pin in the lower end to prevent it from rotating and also file a seat for the forestay before it is locked onto the mast.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow... lovely work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, Mark, Carlos, thank your for checking in and your kind words.

Today I put the boat on the floor so I could work at the top of the shrouds I chose to fix them in a similar manner to the lower ends. by dropping the model to the floor I could stand and the bolster was at 65 inches above the floor and the top of the topmast was 84 inches.

post-202-0-75986300-1370295546_thumb.jpg

I set all the deadeyes first then wrapped the shrouds around the mast and added some tension as I threaded the crimps and shrink I began with the forward starboard the forward port then hooked on the forestay which I made from 3/32 it was a lot tougher to work with than the 1/16th, then continued with the rear starboard then rear port shrouds.

post-202-0-13977700-1370297239_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-04052000-1370297234_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49056900-1370295549_thumb.jpg

I will do the seizing tomorrow to give my fingers a rest. Time for the new boom, first the jaws were glued on then given a rough shaping. I will add some leather when the fixings are completed on the jaws. the wood is clear fir.

post-202-0-54035900-1370295556_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-76738200-1370297236_thumb.jpg

The brass goose neck will be removed and a platform fitted for the gaff boom

then a smaller mast started with a square section of clear fir and shaped down so that it could be slid up through the yoke, now I need to make the Fid and metal plate.

post-202-0-84407500-1370295559_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-07863300-1370295564_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-28933300-1370295542_thumb.jpg

thats it for now.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi John, yes I will need to add a sheave at the bottom of the topmast for the heelrope. so the topmast can be housed.

Michael

Good to hear you have the lowering of the mast sorted out....  I'd hate to hear that you had to take a chainsaw to either the workshop or the boat.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark yes for sure if I need one though I do have a couple of them. :D

Harvey which boat is that?

Michael

now your going to have to come up with a  'maxi-me'  to get up there!  I bet you still need a step ladder.......LOL!  tell you what......you keep building,  and I'll keep being amazed...........OK?  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael,

Saw that first picture of the cutter on the floor and My mind saw it as a 1:48 scale and I thought 'What a great diorama of a work shop with miniature power tools.'

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Literally great work Michael. It looks like it could float with a small child on board!

Matt

Michael,

Just went over the last pages I've been missing out on lately. Great work ... 'specially on the shrouds and the brass fittings.

You did use a stool to get to the top of the mast ... didn't you ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Good Morning Carl , thanks , Yes I did stand on a stool but I'm not good with heights so I thought it prudent to lower the model to complete the work on the topmast fittings. I have been involved in a few other projects that have needed to be taken off the plate so have only managed a few minutes here and there nothing of consequence this last week or so. I am hoping that by Wednesday next week I will be able to get some decent work done. every time I walk by the model I give the mast a pull to one side and pretend that she is in the water heeling over a few degrees and smile to myself.

Michael

Hang on, Michael.  It won't be long before you're sailing. 

Bob

Bob, I am really looking forward to getting her wet.

I did manage to do a little work yesterday and today, I worked on the Jib stay, I might just sew this into the sail and have it fly and not hank it to a stay

post-202-0-95357600-1446785252_thumb.jpg

I made a thimble for the 1/16th cable first I filed a couple of grooves at each end I annealed the centre part only and shaped the thimble using the same tools and methods as before

post-202-0-71484300-1446785253_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-46473400-1446785427_thumb.jpg

At the moment it is attached to the bowsprit end cap but it will be attached to a traveler on the bowsprit, so that it can be hauled it to change sheets.

post-202-0-23418400-1446785343_thumb.jpg

Started working on the Gaff, by planing down a square of spruce to a tapered round section

post-202-0-90230700-1446785372_thumb.jpg

This evening I spent a couple of hours making one of the blocks for the gaff up-haul

post-202-0-49903100-1446785373_thumb.jpg

Michael

post-202-0-14018400-1371531054_thumb.jpg

Edited by michael mott

She will be the envy of the lake at this point.  Beautiful work.  The stays look very solid.  

Michael:

The work looks so good, it is almost as if you are not building a model at all. It looks just like a real boat's gear. I am just floored by the level of detail you are able to get.

Russ

Matt missed you on the last post sorry about that.

Daniel, John, Russ, and Druxey, thanks for all you kind words, at the rate I'm going I sometimes wonder when it will get to the lake.

Today I managed to get enough time in to make a double block with a Becket. The sheaves are .375 diameter and the axle is .062, the brass is .125 x .031

I remembered a quote that one should treat every part as model in itself and this seems to work well for me.

post-202-0-14459000-1446789113_thumb.jpg

Machined up a block of Degame (lemon-wood)

post-202-0-76574100-1446789113_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-42267200-1446789114_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87643600-1371706079_thumb.jpg

Did a lot of sanding and finishing with some fine steel wool. Made a pin for the Becket. the ring is .011 music wire.

post-202-0-39106800-1371706081_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-62391000-1371706092_thumb.jpg

Set it up on the mast with the other double block to see how it looks for the Gaff up-haul, I just used the weight from the ropewalk to give some body to the rope. I must finish those seizings on the shrouds.

post-202-0-64585200-1446789396_thumb.jpg

The blocks work well together, this is a lot of fun, I need to get on and finish the gaff now, and of course there will be a few more blocks but the next few will be singles.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

The rest of us just build mockups; fakes if you will of blocks.   Yours are working and perfect but much larger, of course.  Just amazing to see how these are done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

What Mark and John said. I am out of words. Those blocks are just unbelievable.

Russ