Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Ah the joy of answering the question, "How in the . . . . am I going to make this?"

Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

John, thanks.

Popeye, glad you are finding it interesting.

Joe, thanks it seems that sharing how we do things is what makes this site so enjoyable, i have learned so much from all the great work and Ideas that make up the bulk of the posts here on this forum.

Bob, yes answering those questions seems to be a never ending task.

Today I did some major reorganizing of the shop, and finally got the pilot cutter off the floor, and opened up some room to work on both models;>)

post-202-0-30031700-1383283938_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-27770600-1383283940_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-20381900-1383283942_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-67754800-1383283936_thumb.jpg

Then this evening I redid the block set up at the end of the bowsprit I used a new twisted shackle and a single block with a becket for the arrangement. I glued the rail posts and knees down to the deck at the base of the mast. It is so much easier working on the deck hardware and woodwork at desk height.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

It is so much easier working on the deck hardware and woodwork at desk height.

Michael

Yes, Michael.  Stoop labor is no good, even if you love what you are doing.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

some of those pictures the pilot cutter looks almost as big as the other one!

John It is! its all smoke and mirrors anyway ;)

Bob, sometimes I do wonder about the aches we tend to endure doing our hobbies.

Elia thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliment on the hardware.

We had snow overnight and so it was good not to do anything but saunter out to the shop and do a little recreational boat-building.

I began working on the reinforcement plate for the opposite side of the Gammon Iron and incorporated a roller for the anchor chain. In some photographs of the anchor stowing arrangement the anchor is laying over the roller I do not like that arrangement but will set up a different cradle set up for the anchor. Since the owner of this pilot cutter to recreational yacht has an unlimited penchant for doing things differently, I suppose I will have to go along.

The first thing I wanted to accomplish was to replace the round headed machine screws with some hex bolts. The roller is bronze and the major diameter is 1/2inch which represents 4 inches in scale.

post-202-0-47455000-1383519168_thumb.jpg

These were made by machining down some 5/16th hex stock that I happened to have on hand, the 5/16 needed to be reduced so I got down to some serious filing.

post-202-0-13345600-1383519171_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-57821400-1383519172_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-31912400-1383519175_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-84970800-1383519176_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-75343000-1383519178_thumb.jpg

I machined down a section to the correct diameter for a 4x40 thread then threaded it  then a small section was reduced to the minor diameter of the new hex leaving a thin web of the full 5/16 to act as a template for filing, 10 strokes of the fine file on each face brought down the round section to a smaller hex of 5/32 This was then put back into the lathe and the large hex web was turned to represent a washer, then polished.

post-202-0-42476200-1383519167_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-05309600-1383519180_thumb.jpg

So the strength of the gammon iron fitting has now been finished.

I will put some protective sheeting over the cap rail where the anchor chain drags over the roller.

The last picture shows the new Bob-stay tackle 

post-202-0-56312500-1383519169_thumb.jpg

It feels good to be getting on with some work on the cutter.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

John I'm retired :P:D;)

This evening after supper I finished off the rough fitting of the grating in the bottom of the cockpit. it still needs the edge wood and I'm not sure yet whether to use a contrasting wood or to go with some more of the Yellow Cedar that the grating is made of.

I cut a slab of 3/4 x 3 1/2" yellow cedar from a 4x4 of it that i have had for a while now.

post-202-0-71171200-1383544863_thumb.jpg

Then stripped it up into some scale 1 1/4 inch thick boards and made a couple of passes to create the square stock and the wider stock was milled with a "19 modified twist drill into an end mill The drill is .166" diameter this gave a nice snug fit to the square stock when it was assembled.

post-202-0-35901400-1383544866_thumb.jpg

checking the size to mark out for sanding.

post-202-0-22100400-1383544868_thumb.jpg

next the assembly was rough sanded to fit into the cockpit on the disk sander.

post-202-0-17935800-1383544862_thumb.jpg

Michael

Thanks John I must admit I am leaning that way myself, all I need to decide is just what profile to make it, I think that it should be of a slightly larger section than the 1 1/4 stock.

Michael

Michael,

Glad to see you back on this beautiful cutter.  Your work is superb as always.

Bob

your work is superb as always.....glad to see you found some time to get back to the cutter.   so, you got snow already......is it staying?  we haven't had any yet........it's been cold enough to support it.   we might even see some before thanksgiving.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John, Jay, Carlos, and Bob  thanks for you continued support it means a lot.

Popeye the snow is likely going to stick around the temp is dropping to -16c tonight.

Today I worked on the grating and chose some dark coloured Cedar for the frame.

post-202-0-26616300-1383623577_thumb.jpg

Using the same mill to also create the correct spacing for the short slats.

post-202-0-61093600-1383623578_thumb.jpg

reassembled with the correct spacing in both directions now.

post-202-0-07360000-1383623580_thumb.jpg

The top surface sanded down with some 220 then 600

post-202-0-71656600-1383623575_thumb.jpg

oiled with some teak oil.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Hi John thanks I just have to round off the corners a little more for it to fit back in the bottom of the cockpit.

After supper I made a little block that fits to the shrouds to hold some belaying pins, I have seen this arrangement on a number of the pilot cutters and Smacks seems like a good way to deal with lighter lines like flag pennants and getting rope off the deck.

post-202-0-62244500-1383635125_thumb.jpg

The wood is mahogany and the plank was split and bolted back together then the shroud holes were drilled at a slight angle right at the split line and the three holes for the pins were drilled in the wider section. the bolts are 2x56 cap screws I made the nuts.

post-202-0-95807500-1383635123_thumb.jpg

This is so much fun I am really enjoying myself.

Michael

Michael,

Beautiful work, but like Andy says watch out for that “fun” stuff . . . oh wait it’s supposed to be fun.  Now what?  ;)  :D

Bob

John, Andy, Bob, thanks for checking in.

Yesterday afternoon and today I worked on some more rope on the ropewalk. I used some Guttermann 100% Egyptian cotton Ce 50 to make up some more standing rigging parts

I used 39 strands to make some 5/8' scale rope and 27strands for some1/2"

and also some more blocks for the bowsprit shrouds the rig will use a single block with a becket and a double block on each shroud, tomorrow I will finish the second single block and make the brackets for the hull and drill the holes through the bulwarks.

This series of shots shows the parts of the block and the sequence of the gluing and shaping.

post-202-0-05640300-1383800019_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-21130700-1383800020_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-27788800-1383800021_thumb.jpg

The brass bars were originally drilled inside all the previous blocks but I have refined the process a little and now am drilling them in a flat jig first

The top and bottom pins are .437" apart and the sheave is 1/4 inch diameter the wood is hard maple. I keep thinking about Remco's byline about treating each part as a complete model and it is really helping me with this build.

The port side belaying pins

post-202-0-78609800-1383800017_thumb.jpg

Michael

John, if you do eventually get here, there are some great views in the Rockies not too far from here just three hours away. and we do have a spare room.

Joe thanks for the kind words.

well the bowsprit shrouds were a bit more fiddly than I thought they would be, Had to make a few more thimbles and shackles

I decided on the dark rope for the shrouds and a light rope for the tackle.

post-202-0-04939700-1383892290_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-58929000-1383892291_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-26950000-1383892854_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-54110400-1383892292_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-44551800-1383892293_thumb.jpg

I need to make some cleats now so that I can tie ropes and lines off better, just need to sort out where to put them and what type to make, they will probably be brass.

Michael

excellent rigging there.....Michael!   will there be an eyelet there,  where the rope goes through the bulwark?  that brass work is to die for.......superbly done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye, thanks for the commendation on the brass work. regarding the eyelet, I noticed on a lot of the pilot cutters and smacks that they just went through the wood, but knowing the owner and what a finicky task master he is it will likely not be his cup of tea to leave it sort of unfinished. Somehow I think he will have me conjure up something appropriate.

Michael

Delightful rigging, Michael!

on a lot of the pilot cutters and smacks that they just went through the wood, but knowing the owner and what a finicky task master he is it will likely not be his cup of tea to leave it sort of unfinished

A brass sleeve would seem appropriate! ;)  :)

John