Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Sherry, thanks for your kind words.

John, thanks yes I think I will get a round tuit.

I had to rearrange the workshop again today, I was bumping the build table every time I used the mill, and I was walking round it too much to do any other work. so basically I have just swapped the build and work tables positions and kept them lengthwise in the shop.

post-202-0-22444300-1383973381_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-17663800-1383973372_thumb.jpg

This arrangement will work better I think.

Today I thought for a change of pace I would try a cleat the model one is 1 inch long which equates to an 8 inch cleat in scale. I modeled it roughly on the one in the background.

post-202-0-32095500-1383973374_thumb.jpg

Thinking about the complexity of the shape and realizing that the most complicated area to make is the underside I tackled it while it was still part of the 1 inch bar

post-202-0-32018500-1383973373_thumb.jpg

First the lower sections were cut off with the jewelers saw,then the bottom sides were filed with a couple of needle files  then the wings were tapered with a flat file and given a wire wheel treatment. which makes it look a bit like a casting.

post-202-0-40465700-1383973375_thumb.jpg

Next the top curve was cut with the jewelers saw to remove the cleat from the stock.

post-202-0-29999000-1383973376_thumb.jpg

Then a couple of .011" counter bores down .050 and then drilled through with a .067" drill some # 1 round headed wood screws were reworked on the lathe to make them a facsimile of a domed cheese head screw. and the cleat cleaned up with files and emery first 220 then 320 then 600 a final polishing with a bit of steel wool.

post-202-0-10959800-1383973377_thumb.jpg

Mounted it on the deck, and cleated the tackle for the bob stay. then coiled the rope without any glue or other means, one of the beauties of working rigging.

post-202-0-32689700-1383973378_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49755100-1383973379_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

That's a fantastic job you are doing on the rigging! It's a real pleasure to admire your workmanship.  :pirate41:

Just out of curiousity, what tool did you used to shape the cleat?

John,

I'm sure it is full size... and there are some proofs somewhere in this log too, with a living human on deck!  :D

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Impressive work with the full functional Tackling Michael

combinations brass / Wood, two colour rigging, etc, I can feel with the fun you have, as you admit yourself by doing the Fitting out, shall be staying tuned for the next Pics

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Fine work as always.  What is the cleat made of?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

John,

Now would I tell a fib!

Adeline,

Thanks for your compliment, the tools I used are a jewelers saw with a very fine blade. a couple of lowly needle files, and a 1/8th diameter round file for the initial hogging off the round part at the bottom,  The wire wheel is a large bench grinder type about 6 inches in diameter, when I make the next one I will show the files as the shaping is done,

and by the way those "proofs" are all smoke and mirrors;~)

Joe,

Thanks the rigging is a series of models all in themselves, again I think of the line by Remco about treating every part as an independent model.  I am having to think about how it all works by doing a lot of reading about the way things are done. what are the best ways to set the lines from an operational point of view. I try to put myself in the position of if I were on this boat how would I want to work and tie off these lines. Knowing how to sail a small boat definitely helps even though I don't know all the nautical terms for things.

Nils, I,m happy that you are enjoying the build.

Bob,

The cleat is made of ordinary 1/8th inch thick brass sheet stock I had cut a bunch of 1 inch strips off the large sheet I purchased many years ago for some commercial work I was doing at the time. I have enough to last the rest of my lifetime.

Druxey, thank you!

I have to go into town this afternoon I am going to see if I can find a small key-chain compass, anywhere up to 3/4 inch in diameter, for another little piece of the puzzle, at this scale there is no reason why it shouldn't work properly :)

PS its snowing again on top of the earlier stuff that didn't melt away!!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael....outstanding work.  Do you have a plan for the finished model?  A spot....a mantle...a museum?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Joe, the snow is one of those things I have to put up with every winter.

Rob, thanks for your kind compliment. regarding your question, my plan is to sail it at least once, further than that I have no plan for it. 

Then to design and build another boat, basically along the same general type, now that I have learned a few things I would like to do a better job on the hull, I would like to build a boat similar to the Bawley Doris  LO 284 and make it a work boat rather than a recreational one.

I will probably stick to the 1:8 scale I like the fact that 1/64th is equal to an 1/8th of an inch.

The other thought is to build an open boat like the Minnett designed "Floss" that was built for Andrew Mellon it is pictured on page 36 of wooden boat issue number 116, it is a 19 foot open style launch with padded leather seats. so it would be a smaller model overall at 28 1/2 inches long. 

But when this first one is finished I will see what takes the lead

Michael

The radio and control gear is all hidden within I assume...do you water near by?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Rob I have not put any radio gear in it yet, I will keep it very simple for this first build. I do live at a large lake it is Lake Wabumun in Alberta I am not lakefront but do have a nice view from the workshop of the lake.

post-202-0-08330800-1384032616_thumb.jpg

This picture was taken from the living room last year, with the frozen lake in the long view. We can walk down to the lake in 5 minutes. the place where I can sail the model is at the Seba village beach which is around the lake a couple of kilometers.

Michael

Andy , John, the sun is shining again this morning.

Just a teaser shot I ran out of battery, more to follow later.

post-202-0-88507900-1384108708_thumb.jpg

My trip to the town yielded nothing, so a bit of head scratching and I came up with this, and yes it actually works. these parts are just resting on each other I need to finish the fabrication including glass.

Michael

John, no.

The inner core is some brass cross bored to accept a couple of small 1/4 inch diameter ceramic magnets the dial is a drawing done in cad I'm still playing with the final design.

The centre is bored out to 1/2 inch diameter.

The base which still need the holes bored for attaching it to the deck, has a 1/8th diameter rod with a dressmakers steel pin cut and glued into the top, At first I just used the pin but the magnets pulled to it , so with just a short piece the magnets are OK. the diameter is 1 3/16 or 9 1/2 in scale.

My silver smith  friend had given me a piece of copper that she had drawn into a cup shape on her press the OD is 1 1/4 inches in diameter I had to dome the top a bit because it was rounded but flat in the middle a bit like a copper end cap for plumbing pipe.

I machined up a ring of brass that will get the holes drilled for mounting on the deck  and some copper rivets to attach it to the copper.

A rotation to check that it is still working.

placed in front of Arnold who is sitting in the cockpit.

I still need to make the glass cover plate and brass ring. and nameplate.

I know its not fully gimbled, perhaps the next one. :(

Michael

I think I'll just put my head down on the workbench and whimper.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, Andy, Mark, your comments made me smile.

This evening after supper I did a little experimenting with some scrap wood my Brother In Law gave me this summer. He replaced his redwood 16 foot wide door with a new metal one and gave me the old door, some of it was rotten near the bottom but most of the panels are still OK, a couple of them I have done some re-sawing for some planking or panels.

the wood on the right is planed with a hand plane

the dark piece is the inside original varnish

The light wood strip is yellow cedar

the lighter redwood is straight off the table saw cut.

tomorrow I will see what it looks like oiled.

post-202-0-07681300-1446832854_thumb.jpg

I am wondering about the cabin roof so did a test with some strips just laying them on the end with a temporary beam near the middle, the yellow cedar is short because that is the length of the billet that I have. I am only concerned with the style of the planking at the moment.the light planks in the middle are because I did not have enough cut with the varnished edge.

post-202-0-95814300-1446832851_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-09567100-1446832853_thumb.jpg

changed the setting to tungsten

post-202-0-76941500-1446832904_thumb.jpg

Should I forget about the contrasting colours and just go with plain dark caulking as on the deck.

The other thought is to make it white with canvas.

Thoughts?

Michael

Edited by michael mott

I like the contrasting colors.... that's my vote.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark , I do want to see how the planks look oiled instead of varnished though.

Michael

Jay, John, thanks for the input on the cabin top planking. I'm torn about it because I really like the pinstripe planking, Like that on the power boats and the water taxi that was featured here on MSW 1, but it does feel a bit over the top on this boat. I'm just going to have to build one of those power boats down the road.

I did some other stuff today while I think about the Cabin.

post-202-0-33114200-1384234565_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-10199000-1384234567_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-32493800-1384234569_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-01069700-1384234571_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-21259100-1384234563_thumb.jpg

Doing this took my mind away from the service this morning-- I placed a wreath at the Stony Plain Remembrance on behalf of the Royal Arch Masons... always a sobering memorial

Michael

OMG... it's gimbaled...  post-76-0-31316700-1384241795.gif This is beyond incredible.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: