Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Hi Bob,

Oh the things that end up inside our models while building them! That was a great

recovery though and a really good idea on doubling the frames. Thanks. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really terrific work on those windows Bob.  Now don't forget to label your display case 'Rattle OK' so you don't panic if you move her around the house 12 years down the road!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great work and nice recovery Bob. It would quite an interesting exercise at some point down the road (long after we're all gone) to open up our ships and view the collective contents of our holds!

Bob.... It's a credit to you on over coming the obstacles  and producing a superb build!!

Frank                                 

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

A couple of small pieces of progress. First, I planked around the outer side of the stern windows and painted that planking black. Secondly, I began the cabinetry in the Great Cabin. The planking followed my practice of using boxwood and was straight forward and quick.

The cabinetry is to be done following drawings in the Essex AOTS by Portia Takakjian. It will consist of an enclosure under the windows and two cushioned benches and a doored cabinet in front of that enclosure. I made the enclosure from boxwood sheet and strip to fit the space and finished it with Wipe-on Poly. I won't do the other items until after the deck planking has been done. 

I'm now working on the margin planks for the deck planking and will follow that with the remainder of that planking.

Bob

post-186-0-93359600-1396123220_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-18514500-1396123287_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-33390200-1396123371_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07897300-1396123445_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-70149400-1396123487_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafine

Planking of the gun deck is underway. This work began with the drilling of holes to mount the masts. After that, I drew lines on the false deck to represent the location of the deck beams. This will determine the placement of the plank joints.

The deck planking is holly. The first items to be done were the margin planks. The curved portions at the bow were cut from sheet stock, using the kit's laser cut parts as rough templates, and then sanding to fit the actual contours. The remaining portions were made from strip. The deck planking itself is holly strip, with pencil on one side and one end to represent caulking.

I must be sick in the head, but I find deck planking to be addictive. Once I get started, I find it hard to stop. I had intended to initially do only the center part of the planking (see first three photos), but before I knew it, I had just continued outward (see last two photos). There probably will be some pause now, as I have a houseful of family for the holidays, beginning today.

Bob

post-186-0-48924500-1396123623_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94554400-1396123695_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16805200-1396123743_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89536900-1396123782_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57021800-1396123821_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafine

Very nice Bob. That Holly sure does go well for deck planking. When the visitors start getting to be too much, just sneak back off to the shipyard and lay "just a few more" planks. ;)

Nice deck planking!

I'm interested to see how you do the outer deck planks where you may need to create notches or such for nibbing the planks, to avoid a sharp thin tapering plank. On my AVS kit I did the margin plank last and cut it to fit around the completed planking.

There have been a lot of descriptions for planking both ways, margin first or last and I'm still undecided whether or not it makes much of a difference.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Never thought of making lines on the false deck (duh!).  Nice butt shift, great looking wood.

Best of the Holidays to yours and yours, Bob.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Bob,

You do some really nice stuff with a little bit of boxwood and holly!  I especially love that first overall shot -- really shows her off beautifully.  And that cabinetry below the stern windows is fantastic.

I look forward to seeing more, but understanding you're busy for "The Season", I'll say it now -- Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Many thanks to all for your continuing interest. I'll take this opportunity to wish the happiest of holiday seasons to the MSW community. 

Grant, really I like your idea of some "sneak backs". I just might do that.

Ken, you raise an interesting question. There appear to be few nibbed planks on Essex, so I'm hopeful that my choice to notch them out in place will work. We'll see.

Bob

Very nice work Bob!

I agree that planking the deck can be addictive. I find it a lot of fun and if you’re not

careful you could spend the whole day doing it. Hmmm that doesn’t sound so bad

does it? ;) Also I don’t think you will have any problems nibbing those planks

when the time comes.

Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the family and any sneak a ways you can get. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

A very happy and healthy New Year to all. 

Somehow, I did manage to find enough "sneak away" time from my houseful of visiting family to complete the deck planking. The limited nibbing at the bow was pretty easily done using small chisels. It is amazing to me that I had never used chisels until I did the Triton cross section, but now I can't imagine working without them. The diminishing planks moving toward the stern were done with scarphed planks, although I'm not really certain whether that is correct. 

As a final step, I added a waterway from boxwood strip. While not prototypically accurate construction, I believe that at this scale it provides the correct appearance.

Next up is the treenailing of the deck, which I have just begun. A lot of holes to drill and fill.

Bob

post-186-0-66955500-1388420088_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-17877400-1388420111_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25685800-1388420162_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53775600-1388420193_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40693400-1396123927_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84658200-1396123966_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafine

Beautifully neat!

Best of the New Year to you and yours!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976