Martin W

HMS FLY by Martin W - Victory Models - 1/64

373 posts in this topic

Sigh!  For the last twenty years or so I had a couple of well-dried boxwood timber treetrunks, about four inches diameter and over a yard long.  Given to me by a friend who knew I enjoyed woodworking.  I did use a tiny bit of one of them - a small woodturning project - but mostly they just cluttered up my workshop.

When I had my big clear-out in preparation for marriage no. 3 a couple of years ago, I bandsawed them to twelve-inch lengths and added them to the pile of logs that I consigned to the purchaser of my lovely Welsh cottage.

I've regretted that foolish act ever since ...

Martin W and donrobinson like this

There's a clear lesson, Brian:  NEVER give your wood away.  I gave a vise away once, and like you with your wood, have asked myself ever since, why?  I didn't even know that guy.

Peter -- The US doesn't have a great many delicious beers, but there are a few worth drinking.  Last summer in Maine I had several (and have been thinking of retiring there ever since).  The bottle you spotted with your aviator eyes is a lovely IPA from the great state of Oregon.  I can't say that it instills patience for details, but since my modelling space is within easy reach of the beer fridge, it certainly gets me into the room.

Thanks for checking in, and thanks to the likes!

Martin

Hello Everybody -- I've been silent for over a month.  Work has subsumed me, for the most part, though I have managed some regular time everyday in the boatyard.  And it's been one little detail that has snagged me.   The Drift Rail concludes at the forward end of the Quarterdeck in a Scrolled Hance.  FFM gives a good technique for shaping the scroll, but at 1:64 that technique doesn't really work -- or even matter.  Still I wanted to have something of a scroll.  At last count, I went through 12 different tries, working with and exacto, with a micro gouge (1 mm, which isn't so micro at this scale), with lots of shameful language ("Really now," my delicate flower of a wife would say, "what's going on in there?), and finally with the Dremel and a small round bit.

Here are some of my efforts.

First, you can see that I cut the outer shape as drawn, then tried to clear out the inside.

58cc3f2867390_Hance1.JPG.f0b4b19792dff66bd308bd388ba1b6ec.JPG

This attempt crumbled so badly I couldn't even get a picture.  Next I glued the boxwood blanks (1/16" thickness) to some scrap, aiming to prevent the crumbling.  This is the first result there:

58cc3fdb34e0b_Hance2.JPG.dfc9affdeb14d81497540cc97375fb4d.JPG

The next evolutionary step was to take care of the inside curve first, and then worry about the outside, hoping that I could uphold some structural strength that way.

58cc403867130_Hance3.JPG.dd728381cd4540ae7e060429c3368320.JPG

A few more casualties as I toyed with grain direction, thinking (maybe a bit too much) that if the grain moved diagonally across the scroll rather than horizontally, there would be more strength.  Nice idea, but with no practical effect.

58cc410103c50_Hance5.JPG.730b4327f8a4c95bc41583577bb6a0e9.JPG

Finally I came up with some fairly decent curves -- I can't quite call them "scrolls" since the scroll is incomplete:  the reason is that the scraper could not make the curve, and for 2 reasons.  First, as it cut across the grain, the outer edge of the hance crumbled.  Second, the complementary tail section interfered with the cutter itself.  As a rough simulation, I drilled a shallow hole, just enough to create a shadow.

And here is the starboard Quarterdeck scroll in place:

58cc42020eb0f_Hance6.JPG.e150748da53594eac75e1cdde9fc7c78.JPG

Now, the kit plans don't show anything like this where the rail terminates at the aft edge of the fo'c'sle, though the NMM plans show something like a scroll.  It seems to my eye that the rail needs some sort of flourish as a terminus, and so I set in the same scrolls as on the Quarterdeck.  Things get a bit tight, though:

58cc42adb48c5_Hance8.JPG.2770414d42e405d4cc0ab14741f4857a.JPG

That one eye bolt is tight up against the scroll, but I still think a line can run through it somewhat freely.

And of course, when I invited Mrs W in to see what had induced such unseemly language, she squinted hard and said, "Do you honestly believe anyone will ever notice that?"  :P

Next up, revised Cat Heads.

Cheers,

Martin

Our respective Mrs W's seem to have the same outlook towards our modelling efforts, but that's not the point is it, although on a practical level Mrs Prairie W is correct in the sense that the Foc'sle scroll will be mostly hidden by the shrouds.

Nice detail tho' Martin😊

Good luck luck with the Catheads, an interesting little project in their own right.

B.E.

donrobinson and Martin W like this

Thanks, guys.  BE -- I know they'll be hidden, but I just couldn't come up with another way to bring the rail to its end.  Mrs Prairie W did once ask me if I would like a new kit for my birthday, and with my jaw hanging down I asked why she would since she usually made fun of my modelling efforts.  Her reply was that it kept me out of the way.  Hmmm.     ;)

Don -- That's a very nice compliment, though I'm not sure the phrase "skills at modelling" belongs next to my name.  Probably something more like bumbling and blind flailing!  Still, I do enjoy it.

Cheers,

Martin

donrobinson likes this

I'm with the programme Martin, just because it's hidden is no reason not to do it. Mrs Shires W is generally supportive of my modelling activity, but having read the frank disclosure by Mrs Prairie W, I now begin to wonder why.:rolleyes:

She did once express an interest in making an Airfix Spitfire (had to be an Airfix) and indeed started it, when I asked which Mk she would like I was promptly told not to get nerdy! just get her a Spitfire.

Still on with the show - don't forget to get the Catheads the right way up, and you will need to temporarily fit the main head Rails to assist getting the position right.

Cheers,

B.E.

donrobinson and Martin W like this

My dear Martin and B.E.

Please be aware that you may leave yourselves open to an accusation of "murmuring" and you could be requested to bear the consequences according articles 20, 21 and 22 while Martin also most probably committed an offence against article 2 of the Royal Navy Articles of War. :Whew:

Martin, very nice detail and it will always be visible - at least to the thousands, or so, of followers here in MSW.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers Guys, thanks for checking in.  And thanks to all who clicked on the Like Button!

Anton, thanks for the kind words.  The kit is lovely indeed, and one I'd even considering doing again, though mostly in hopes that my skills would magically improve!

BE -- I fear Peter may have a sound point.  Here's the event that convinces me of the justness of his legal argument:  Last week Mrs Prairie W "asked" me to go "look at" sofas.  I'm very fond of the current piece of furniture that has afforded me countless pleasant naps, but, unbeknownst to me, it has become old and tawdry looking.  At the store, when I tried to expedite the process by pointing to a fine example of a sofa, I was told that the fabric would never go with the walls.  Walls?!  I had no idea fabric and walls held any relation to one another.  But the Articles of Marriage, Sec. 3.B.iv.c states very clearly:  "The Husband shall affirm the judgment of the Guyd Wyfe at every turn, lest he seeks to find comfort in the kennel."

Mrs Prairie W has never visited MSW (so far as I'm aware  :o)

Cheers,

Martin

So here's a question:  BE, you say I need to affix the Main Head Rails in order to determine the position of the catheads.  I suppose that means I need first to make the Main Head Rails, right?  From FFM I get the sense the order was Catheads, then structures of the head, including the cathead support.  Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the Other Place to do some studying, eh?

Any suggestions on this matter would help.

Cheers

Martin

donrobinson likes this

By invoking 'the Other Place', I do sincerely hope you're not thinking of selling your soul to the Devil?

Mind you, he's probably already got mine.  I'm 80, but he promised me I WILL have time to finish my own HMS Fly before he collects.

On the other hand, we all know he's a liar ...

donrobinson likes this

No need to go to the other place Martin, the detail is here on page 3, post 72 of my log.

The Cathead should butt up against the Main rail of the head works and during the process of fixing the cathead it is worth checking they sit right.

On Pegasus the Main rail is a pre-shaped piece of walnut so it is an easy matter to blu-tack it temporarily in place before the cathead position is fixed.

Cheers,

B.E.

donrobinson and probablynot like this