Surabaya by Piet - 1/80 - Mid 17th-Century VOC ship

Hello everyone and thank you all for visiting my shipyard and liking what I'm doing.

Been busy with stropping the 64 pulley blocks for the 8 deck cannons.  Well, besides that I also had to do some work in the yard and a little goofing off  ;)

I'm also working on another project that'll be disclosed when I'm good and ready  ;)

Just to let all yuns know that all 64 pulley blocks are now done and ready for the strips to be blackened.  Ten the blocks need to be stained after which I can start ligging them with the ropes.

Seems like not much done but these little buggers take a lot of time, especially when you have to undue 32 straps because me dummy put them on the wrong blocks  :o  :rolleyes:  Oh well, just a bunch of hours waisted with some more brass wire.

post-1399-0-55974000-1447298907_thumb.jpg

The blackening stuff I have didn't do squat blackening the brass.  It did the solder though.  I aint going to order and wait for new stuff so I'll be using a paint brush and flat black paint.  Wish me luck.  Fortunately I have rather steady hands and am used to painting small things.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looks good Piet, I am confident that your steady hands will get them painted perfectly,  64 blocks, wow 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Good looking blocks Piet

Bad luck about the redo's, but you know what they say about having lots of practise.

cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Can I borrow your working ants?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks Nenad, Chris and Pete for your kind words and everybody for your likes, really appreciate it and for dropping in.

Well, the working ants have been busy today.  After painting about 8 of the very tiny pulley strops I told myself, "self, this is nuts, you'll be sitting here for hours and in the end Gwen'll have to call the folks in white suits with straight jackets."  I decided to give the blackening stuff another try but this time I went straight, no more of the recommended diluted stuff.  The painting worked okay but much too time consuming and delicate.

So, after about 10 minutes in the blue stuff they started to turn blackish.  Another 10 minutes - - no change.  I figured they'll get as black as they'll ever be.  Rinsed ten off in cold running water and let them dry.

After they were dry they looked more like old weathered iron than black, which is not that bad actually.  I also managed to "splice" in the hooks in the breeching ropes.

Then came the job of "splicing" the pulley tackle lines to te single sheaf pulleys.  Got only two done before having to feed my koi fish.  It's getting dark here now so early, 17:30 already, but the temps are still in the low 80's F during the day. So, who is complaining  :P

Well, here is the result of this day's work.

post-1399-0-14141300-1447381573_thumb.jpg

I dyed one spare block with leather dye, looks pretty nice but I decided to leave all the pulleys as they are.  Reason being, the pulley blocks under the aft deck are also unstained and blond looking.  I figured I should keep them all the same. Yeah, they are not the prettiest blocks but once installed it won't be noticeable.  I know, I know - - shame on me but such is life  ;)  The ones for the rigging will be another story.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I like how the 'blackened' strops turned out, much better than having them really black, this looks more convincing.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks Nenad, Chris and Pete for your kind words and everybody for your likes, really appreciate it and for dropping in.

Well, the working ants have been busy today. After painting about 8 of the very tiny pulley strops I told myself, "self, this is nuts, you'll be sitting here for hours and in the end Gwen'll have to call the folks in white suits with straight jackets." I decided to give the blackening stuff another try but this time I went straight, no more of the recommended diluted stuff. The painting worked okay but much too time consuming and delicate.

So, after about 10 minutes in the blue stuff they started to turn blackish. Another 10 minutes - - no change. I figured they'll get as black as they'll ever be. Rinsed ten off in cold running water and let them dry.

After they were dry they looked more like old weathered iron than black, which is not that bad actually. I also managed to "splice" in the hooks in the breeching ropes.

Then came the job of "splicing" the pulley tackle lines to te single sheaf pulleys. Got only two done before having to feed my koi fish. It's getting dark here now so early, 17:30 already, but the temps are still in the low 80's F during the day. So, who is complaining :P

Well, here is the result of this day's work.

attachicon.gifPulley block straps blackened.jpg

I dyed one spare block with leather dye, looks pretty nice but I decided to leave all the pulleys as they are. Reason being, the pulley blocks under the aft deck are also unstained and blond looking. I figured I should keep them all the same. Yeah, they are not the prettiest blocks but once installed it won't be noticeable. I know, I know - - shame on me but such is life ;) The ones for the rigging will be another story.

Cheers,

Hi Piet

I know you said that the blocks aren't the "prettiest ", but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And...to my eye, they're pretty darn good!!!

Keep up the great work, because I learn more and more each time I see your achievements.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I use to go to a model railroad shop and pick up a spool of black annealed wire so I did not have to blacken it.  The stuff works great for stropping blocks and other metal work.  I believe you can buy it where they sell beading supplies.  Michaels or Hobby Lobby would probably have it.

David B

Aw you guys, yuns are too kind about my crappy pulley blocks, but thanks, it's appreciated  :)   And also thanks to all who clicked the like button.

Yeah Remco, I was also rather surprised and pleased with the result.  I need to buy some fresh blacken it suff and see how that works in the future.

You know Dave, I keep forgetting to do some more browsing at Michaels for "stuff" I can use like Popeye Dennis.  I'll go take a look and see what they have in beading wires, perhaps some thinner brass or as you said black annealed wire.  I used what I have on hand.  Problem is that Michaels is about 6 miles down the road and the Hobby Lobby is 30 miles south of us in Daytona beach.  There is also a hobby store (of sorts) 25 miles north of us in St. Augustine, thus  don't go there very often.

In the meantime I "spliced" 12 more ropes to the single sheaf pulleys, takes me about 1/2 hour per.  20 more to go then putting them all together and start rigging the guns.

Thanks everybody for your comments and input.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks Lawrence for your very kind comments, appreciate it very much and also my thanks to all who clicked the like button.

The last few days was slow going in the shipyard.  Some much needed yard work to get rid of weeds and vines.  But I did manage to finish putting all 8 cannon tackles together.  The "splicing" of the rope to the single sheaf pulleys took a lot of time but they look presentable to me.

I have tacked the cannons to te deck so they don't roll around on me when I am hooking the tackles on them.  It'll be for static display anyhow.

The next challenge will be rigging all 8 cannons.  The problem I see is with the pull tackle from the cannons to the bulwark, the distance is very short.  

Here are a few pics of what's done and how it looks as of yesterday.

post-1399-0-22922300-1448160952_thumb.jpg

Here are 35 single sheaf pulley blocks with their ropes "spliced" to them.  I made a few spares just in case.  Hey Hans and Jan - I have put a sample of the green paint I bought in front and center.  What do you think?  I have sanded it down some and perhaps it could be doctored some.  I think it's getting closer. 

post-1399-0-26816200-1448160976_thumb.jpg

All eight center deck cannons are cemented to the deck with a tiny drop of CA.

post-1399-0-00523300-1448160999_thumb.jpg

All the pulley tackle is assembled and ready to be rigged to the cannons.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You're doing a bang-up job on such a small scale Piet.  I know it can't be easy.  I'll see if Nenad can part with a few of his "working ants" to lend a hand for a while.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Colors are looking much better Piet. Maybe the grey green still a bit to grey and the green green a bit to green, but if you can land somewhere in the middle I think it should do very fine

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Thanks Lawrence for your very kind comments, appreciate it very much and also my thanks to all who clicked the like button.

The last few days was slow going in the shipyard.  Some much needed yard work to get rid of weeds and vines.  But I did manage to finish putting all 8 cannon tackles together.  The "splicing" of the rope to the single sheaf pulleys took a lot of time but they look presentable to me.

I have tacked the cannons to te deck so they don't roll around on me when I am hooking the tackles on them.  It'll be for static display anyhow.

The next challenge will be rigging all 8 cannons.  The problem I see is with the pull tackle from the cannons to the bulwark, the distance is very short.  

Here are a few pics of what's done and how it looks as of yesterday.

attachicon.gifSingle sheaf pulley blocks w ropes.jpg

Here are 35 single sheaf pulley blocks with their ropes "spliced" to them.  I made a few spares just in case.  Hey Hans and Jan - I have put a sample of the green paint I bought in front and center.  What do you think?  I have sanded it down some and perhaps it could be doctored some.  I think it's getting closer. 

attachicon.gifCenter deck cannons installed.jpg

All eight center deck cannons are cemented to the deck with a tiny drop of CA.

attachicon.gifCannon pulley tackle ready to be mounted.jpg

All the pulley tackle is assembled and ready to be rigged to the cannons.

Cheers,

Hi Piet

Really nice work on the cannons and trying to tame all those lines of rigging.  You're braver than I am.  Somehow, you make it look so easy!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Patrick

Nice work Piet, Shes looking good 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks everybody for your very kind comments and for all the like votes.

Forget about the rigging of the guns under the poop deck Remco, it's not visible anyhow through the gun ports.  The guns just behind the main mast have been rigged before the upper deck was planked and is visible.

Thanks Hans for the input, that's what I figured too.  I'll be experimenting with the mix and show the results on a pice of scrap wood, have plenty of that  ;)

The rigging of the tackle went rather easy Patrick.  Now I have to make the coiled ropes and lay them down on the deck.  

Today, being Sunday here in Palm Coast, Florida, I could spend some quality time in the shipyard.  It was rainy and rather chilly outside so - - - no yard work - yippee!

I managed to install only the "pull back" gun tackle on the starboard side, four guns.  I ran into the expected problem with the gun tackle to the bulwark though.  The distance from the bulwark to the eye bolt on the gun carriage is way too short.  I have to device some other arrangement that'll look believable yet not the way it was actually done.  

The plan is to install the eye bolts to the aft end of the carriages, that way I have enough space for the tackle.

At last week's gathering of the Colored Pencil Society Chapter I met the husband of one of the artists there who is a wood carver.  We got chatting about carving my ship carvings and he asked if I had drawings of the carvings needed for the VOC ship and invited me to their weekly club meeting here in town.  I did go last Tuesday and met a whole bunch of very nice and talented carvers.  I picked up a lot of good pointers regarding tools and wood.  Really very productive.

Now I need to find some of those dentist burs MarkT found on eBay.  

All y'all have a great week and keep out of trouble, especially George  :)

Cheers, 

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Lovely work, Piet.   What George said... and I'll add, if we go looking for trouble, we'll usually find it. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone for visiting, your likes and comments.  These things always make my day and looking forward to reading.

I was able to mount all the starboard-side gun tackles.  It was tedious work, to say the least.  I had to reattach a few eye bolts and two pulley block strops but it all worked out okay.  There is some touch-up work yet to do and then coiling the tackle ropes on the deck.  Next will be turning the dock around and do the starboard side.

I spend a few hours at the woodcarving club this afternoon and met another Dutchman, Leo.  He used to build ship models for the company he worked for but spends most of his time painting in oils and carving birds. 

This is where she stands as of this afternoon.  

post-1399-0-13866400-1448422196_thumb.jpg

All of my worker ants pooped out halfway through the job - - - so I had them keelhauled  ;)

It's not the prettiest job in te world but it'll suffice.  At least it shows how guns were operated in those days.

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

:D  :D You did a good job picking up where those lazy ants left off Piet.  Keel-hauling's too good for them.  I'd have made them walk the plank.  :P

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Send regards to ants, they did a nice job !!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks everyone for visiting, your likes and comments.  These things always make my day and looking forward to reading.

I was able to mount all the port-side gun tackles.  It was tedious work, to say the least.  I had to reattach a few eye bolts and two pulley block strops but it all worked out okay.  There is some touch-up work yet to do and then coiling the tackle ropes on the deck.  Next will be turning the dock around and do the starboard side.

I spend a few hours at the woodcarving club this afternoon and met another Dutchman, Leo.  He used to build ship models for the company he worked for but spends most of his time painting in oils and carving birds. 

This is where she stands as of this afternoon.  

attachicon.gifGun tackle port side mounts and secured.jpg

All of my worker ants pooped out halfway through the job - - - so I had them keelhauled  ;)

It's not the prettiest job in te world but it'll suffice.  At least it shows how guns were operated in those days.

Cheers,

Hi Piet

I'm sure I read that somewhere in America there's a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ants (SPCA). Apparently, ants are highly valued amongst the modelling community.....LOL.

Were they those evil fire ants?

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Piet

I'm sure I read that somewhere in America there's a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ants (SPCA). Apparently, ants are highly valued amongst the modelling community.....LOL.

Cheers

Patrick

Let's not forget the rigging spiders... worth their weight in unobtainium. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

awwwww......the ants look like they've had a bit too much rum...they'll perk up in a min or two  ;)   see.......there goes one now !  :D  :D

great progress Piet........very nice rigging on the cannons!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone for your comments and for all the likes, it's much appreciated. 

Actually these are carpenter ants REALLY!  They are all over the place, under my palm trees, inside the palm fronds and these I picked from a dead palmetto bush in the vacant lot next to us.  They are as fears as fire ants but much larger and we have to keep tem away from the house! 

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes George, the same to you and everyone reading this.

This morning I prepped the port side to coil the gun tackle ropes.  Instead of using two-sided carpet tape, which I don't have, I doubled up on some masking tape.  The idea is to coil the rope around a dowel on the tape that'll hold it temporarily in place.  After one turn around the dowel I can remove the dowel and coil the rest of the rope inside.  To keep the coil from unwinding I'll brush nail polish on it to glue it together.  

It'll be tight against the bulwark but I plan to use fewer turns.   

post-1399-0-87601500-1448596791_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-53548100-1448596813_thumb.jpg

Here you see how I plan to make the rope coils.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra