HMS Diana by Shipyard sid - Caldercraft - 1/64 scale

On 9/18/2018 at 10:36 PM, Old Collingwood said:

"Hey"!   that could have been me in my early days......

OC.

that me in the middle

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

she is just coming on great, i have to agree the gunport linings would be best painted now

David i have just re-read your log again, and various other builds of the same kit, as a result the admiral has told me to look long and hard and my next build. and try to improve my skills rather than skills and the kit, i dont know what is wrong with Caldercraft if anything, but anything other than thier flagships they tend to get a bit of a ear bashing, anyway to cut a long story short, i have been asked to make her the Model shipways Chaperon, and to get the  model shipways Confederacy as a christmas gift for my self, and stop making plans for  scratch building 8 foot paddle steamers, of course there is always a but, Finish the Victory first

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Greetings all

Here I am again with my lump of junk needing advice on the second planking. I have set the run of the wale using the gunports as a guide. What I need to know is we’re you can see how the planking will run along the dots on the gunports, will that be satisfactory. I need to hide these gunports. 

best regards DAVID

E613782A-E13D-4CE6-85BF-2B6E4F5A5E6F.jpeg

B5A30116-2BB5-4F6E-99B8-561953F71E6A.jpeg

Don't think you need to worry too much about hiding the gunports, however you plank that shouldn't be too difficult to do - whether you plank over and then cut out, or shape planks prior to gluing in place (definitely better for the ports with lids).  Getting the right line for the wales is so visually important later on so definitely worth taking your time to get it right.  

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Following on from jasons excellent advice  what I did  was to find my line for the top lip of the wale, then start planking above this but not covering the gunports but trying to finnish the planks where each gunport is (its easy to clean up the edge where they meet the gunport)   and to just keep working like this (I did mine in sequence on both the port and larboard side so as to make sure they matched in height).

Then I continued up the hull sides till I reached the forecastle and poop deck edges.

Then I constructed the wales and planed below that moving down to the keel.

Hope this helps david.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Greetings all

Thanks a lot for all your encouragement, help and likes. Well I am happy with how things are going now, at last. I have tidied up all the gunports and added the position of the wale line. The plank I have fitted is the first strip above the wale line. The gunports are not perfect because of my poor work cutting them out. Anyway I will now fit a couple more planks up towards the gunports, and then start cutting out the port side gun ports. Which should keep me happyish for a week or two. Once again thanks a lot DAVID

C94FE6FC-8774-43E6-BEC5-EF94FAE20953.jpeg

49DB70F3-1F10-4782-ADC7-B7CE6FAB517F.jpeg

5A163BC8-5938-4902-A60E-4E9A8273287C.jpeg

5FD52773-3940-44D8-B388-09341EDA6613.jpeg

Greetings all

Well I have moved on to the port side and started on cutting out the gun ports which is going well.  But! Alas I have a bit of a problem on the starboard side.   Remember what Jason said in a post or so ago  “ the line of the wale is visually important “  It certainly is!!  The wale guidance strip is well out of line. It is so obvious, and It had been fitted for more than a day before I noticed. I don’t think correcting the mistake is cheatable, so I shall rectify the fault when the gunports are sorted.  Might be cheatable by then 😋.  Regards DAVID..

A95B8203-61D0-42A5-AD2D-C5F691C9E290.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all

Thanks for  all your comments and likes. I have sorted the run of the wale out, hopefully,   and then moved on to the port side to start cutting out the gunports, but I got a bit cheesed off with them. So I have returned to the starboard side and started fitting the planking above the wale. Things have gone pretty well and I am happy with my progress, apart from the run of the planks above the ports which are not as horizontal  as they should be, so I will see how the planking will look later in the build, as I did not intend to paint it. I think I have gone as far as I should go with the planking, and will return to the gunports on the port side and then plank up the same as the starboard. I have posted a few photos and as I said I am pretty happy with it. The gun ports still need tidying up especially the five with lids.

Anyway that’s me for now, wish I was planking down the hull. Thanks a lot DAVID

AD4B9334-F9FC-4AAC-8D52-BA5528D64BD4.jpeg

4F52C7B4-8A31-4719-952A-5439F7C842F0.jpeg

AFE05143-74E3-4D45-BAC1-1BA0C1886585.jpeg

D729BDB0-8BE2-4F6A-BBD6-A8BF907E6541.jpeg

7F9E67D0-488C-4215-B3EA-BD29743C124A.jpeg

4E62EA47-24C9-4D5C-BED5-405905F0C543.jpeg

CC73AD98-9041-4558-8B46-A163F8BEED56.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Hello Peter

Not done any work on it for a  while, but started again yesterday when I seen your post. Just this morning received seven super glues from Cornwall model boats. My planking is a shambles, so I will need them ! And I will definitely not post any photos apart from these four until sanding and filler is applied. If you cannot see the ship on my next post it will be behind the filler.good luck with your build. I don’t know if you have started a build log, let me know if you have. Less haste more speed ?? Doesn’t seem to work for me.

Best regards DAVID 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I see what you mean - the glue will help; I guess she will be back online soon.  I am not as far ahead, just working the gun ports at the moment before mulling over how to start the second planking.   I have started a build log - HMS DIANA peterhudson.  we can swap dits!  Peter 

Hello David!

So glad I found your build log for HMS Diana.  I've been away so long and I've missed so much.  I've always had the idea in my head that I'd like to build Diana at some point (maybe after I finish my Victory in about 20 or 30 years!).  I'm looking forward to following your progress and expect that, as always, I will learn much from you.  As for taking a couple of years off...it's very much underrated but I'm glad that both of us are now back in the shipyard!

Cheers,

Patrick

• 11 months later...

Hello David,

So good to see you back in the shipyard.  You've long been one of my inspirations when it comes to model building, so I'm hoping that following your Diana build will inspire me to get back on my Victory which has been sitting in mothballs and carefully wrapped in plastic for a couple of years with most of the hull completed.

Cheers,

Patrick

Greetings all

After a year or so I have restarted my build of the Diana, and have finished all the second planking apart from an hour or so on the port side and tidying of the gun ports. So what to do next chaps what do you reckon ? I was thinking the Wales or work  on the stern area.  I do have a question about the Wale. How wide  is the Wale 18 mm or 21 mm, 6 or 7 planks?  The drawing measures 18mm but asks for 21mm which I think it would then meet the water line. Well there you go !!  Here’s 

a few photos.  DAVID

6CAB4E3B-40E2-4A66-BBEA-7E0D18199CC4.jpeg

894497C2-4230-4451-B3E0-E87C3416DE67.jpeg

328CE3D1-FAB1-411E-9AB5-E7BB3951679F.jpeg

240BAE64-DB24-4033-92F4-2823F4F272BB.jpeg

A975DF96-81C1-4A5C-AF68-EB11794CC201.jpeg

BA90A14E-C26C-4E1F-8A95-63C04E673E2B.jpeg

4A547F51-3243-4C33-8E3D-BF797F2ABF0B.jpeg

Hello Bill

I Well remember trying to think of which ship to buy.  My Brother was building the Soleil Royal which was one I thought about buying. I went down to visit him in York and took one look at the kit and he’s progress, and that was to much for me. I mistakenly put the sovereign of the sea, and realized it later. I nearly bought the San Felipe but was not happy about all the metal  fittings which turned me away from it. I think I made the correct choice and happy to get back to this build.    What are you building ?

Best regards DAVID

Looking good David.  I think you're at a nice stage where you can work on a number of things simultaneously, which can be nice to keep changing the pace, especially the all interior main deck fittings and cannons.  One thing I'm sure you've read from all the other Diana builds is the challenge with getting appropriate alignment at the stern, and how this ties into the lines of the wale.  I tend to start planning as soon as I can and leave final installation until as late as I can to avoid as many unexpected surprises as possible.  That may allow you to make any fine adjustments needed to the placement of the wale which doesn't need to go on just yet.  I'd also recommend figuring out the placement of the mid-ship beams which will require you cut into the lime planking and nice to get this out of the way without having to worry about damaging anything down the road.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Great seeing you back  hope your in good health,  in your absence  I completed a build of The Black Pearl  from Piarates of the Carribean.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Greetings all

Well it is really good to be back, and thank you for all your comments, which are appreciated.  I started to finish off the port side planking . An hours job ?? Alas NO !! I got carried away a bit and rushed it. Half of one length of 3 mm strip was not tight up to the one below it. As soon as you removed the half a dozen or so clamps it  stood out a mile. So no more rushing things, I should know better. I will now leave that until last, then tidy up the gun ports.  I asked for advice on what I should concentrate on next, thinking the Wales or the stern work. Jason advised me the best thing to do was to forget about any work around the hull or stern and concentrate on the deck were there is lots to do. And obviously it reduces any damage which may occur around the hull. So yep Jason the deck etc it is. Thanks a lot. So onward I go with the deck area. As you will see on the photos which are next I have started on the deck and made hundreds of guns, and that was pretty quick !!! OK my friend wanted to do them when I showed him them. I could not deter him from taking them. What do you mean !!! You don’t believe me.. I will sort them later. OK it’s the deck plan out next.    Here are the photos of the hundreds of cannons I made.!!!!    Regards DAVID

B531333B-F478-47E8-B067-97A73B847D9F.jpeg

82DB4B37-CFFC-4790-BBFE-03A9CC910D17.jpeg

51C864E2-0455-4403-8A73-ECDB87102F79.jpeg

EBE60699-3E89-406E-9113-8DA1006BBC8F.jpeg

David DAVid DAVID, hello my friend lovely to see you back, September 2018 was the last comment i placed on your  log, and lol i lied, i never bought the Diana 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

David,

Your HMS Diana is looking fantastic!  You made a great choice! 

Anyway, because you asked, I am working on an old model by a defunct company, Aeropiccola. The model is their simplified HMS Victory. I am taking my time and adding details missing from that 1/180 kit.  For example, the directions have the builder simply drawing closed gun ports onto the hull.  I have cut them out, put in frames, and will put in dummy barrels.  I have also added a second layer of planking, using very thin planks to simulate real planks. I have also made my own copper plates out of copper tape, adding rivet detail to  the plates.  That is as far as I've gotten so far.

I was stationed in La Maddalena,  Sardinia, Italy in the mid-1970s, and my wife bought this kit for me when we transferred from there.  So, I am trying to do it some justice and make it into a serious model. 

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison

Greetings

Hello Kevin how are you . One never knows what Kevin is building !! Last time I  looked I thought you were standing holding an upright Coffin, I cannot recall which one of your fleet it was. Anyway it’s good to here from you. Hello Bill thanks a lot, I was having a quick look through a few build logs earlier today, and think one was yours. I will check it out later tonight. Best wishes DAVID

5 minutes ago, Shipyard sid said:

Greetings

Hello Kevin how are you . One never knows what Kevin is building !! Last time I  looked I thought you were standing holding an upright Coffin, I cannot recall which one of your fleet it was. Anyway it’s good to here from you. Hello Bill thanks a lot, I was having a quick look through a few build logs earlier today, and think one was yours. I will check it out later tonight. Best wishes DAVID

im fine thank you, as is the wife and doggie, i finished the Victory last year, and did a bit on the SD14, but presently have the St Nectan on the table, great to hear from you, and hope you will be around and staying with us

IMG_6320.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting all 

Thanks for the likes.  Well once again I got cheesed off. Only made the gratings, ones inside the ship somewhere. One set of ladder fell in the bin. So I have abandoned the gun deck.  I am now going to fit all the the copper plates before any thing else. There is a lot of quality work on this aspect of the build for me to follow and help me along. I have only once before copper plated a hull. I worked downward from the waterline, which appears to be incorrect, so I shall work upwards. Right here we go swear box and wallpaper paste to the ready. See you all when one side is complete.     Regards  DAVID 

966320B0-ABC6-4182-95A8-381F156EE4C3.jpeg

88098AAD-C2B5-4B6A-ABAB-3A112563A3E2.jpeg

70D4A9CD-0830-4DE3-90B6-B41014FD7D9C.jpeg

B917B6E2-120F-4708-96A8-9E5B10EEE286.jpeg

You did a great job on that top and butt planking which really jumps out now, hope it stays visible with the guns in place.  Good luck with the copper, remember its a marathon not a sprint 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

David - the copper work takes time and I was not particularly good or patient.  I used a very mild cyno glue, had a bottle of acetone nearby to remove any excess and then just ploughed though it very steadily.  100 tiles or so would make me booz eyed so, I took lots of breaks and did other things to add variety - in my case the guns.  I also fixed a 1x1mm piece of wood on the waterline to give a neat edge for the tiles to abut to.  'Slowly, slowly catch the monkey' as my Dad used to say! It does look good when it is finished. 

IMG_0987.jpg