captainbob

Grand Banks dory by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:32 - Finished

Bob:

That is a really neat trick for making buckets. Thanks for sharing it. They look really good.

On the bands, the brass looks great. Have you thought about using poster board or tape for those?

Russ

Mario,

Thanks for the kind words.

Russ,

Thanks.  The bands on this bucket are made from a yellow file folder.  Brass wiuld be nice.

Bob

Bob:

Well, how about that? :) I did not look closely enough. At a glance it look like brass strip. That will teach me not to read and write when I am in a hurry. Great work.

Russ

Bob,

Nifty trick making the buckets. Inventive how you made th 'brassed' hoops for them too. Are you going to make them look used, or is this a brand new delivery?

really bad week end.......had to work and didn't get around like I usually do.   I must say you picked a cool color for the interior.....kind of like a trainer yellow.......like the Denny-zen!   I knew you liked the color......;)  LOL!

your bucket method is cool.......turns out a really cool bucket.  you can get a lot of that sheet brass as well as other alloys from places that sell model train stuff.   look in the clearance bins as well.........good deals to be had!  

very nice progress thus far......meanwhile,  I'll try to keep more in step......I hate having to catch up like this ;)

Thanks guys,

I have plenty of brass and could have used it but I thought "If Gene can use card stock why not me?".

Speaking of Gene, where is he?

Bob

Thanks Mark,

Making repetitive parts reminds me of a story.

A man driving down a country road sees some handmade furniture in front of a house.  He liked the look of one of the chairs and asks the price.  The craftsman said $35.00.  The man thinking the chair would make nice dining room chairs orders a set of eight.  The craftsman says “That will be $2000.00.”  The man complains and asks why so much.  The craftsman says . . . “The first one was fun”.

So now two more buckets.

Bob

Nice work Bob, I really like the way made the bucket. I will follow your progress, keeping my eyes open for details to add to my dory.

/Alfons

Excellant job! ever see a St. Pierre dory? just like a Grand banks, but up to 30ft. long. Incredible Job on the Spray by the way. 

Thanks to All,

Your kindness and encouragement is appreciated.

Hope to get building again after honey do list.

Bob

now what could be so big......that it would keep you away from such a cool build?    .......unless it's an addition for a work area  ;)

looking forward in seeing your progress......got to keep the admiral happy.   I have to........she's my budget director......and I think she's been browsing the books from the Wharf........oh...oh........cost over runs :0

This is very nice project. The boats like this one are in general use here, in Sisak, on rivers Sava and Kupa. They are little bit different, but very similar.

Thanks to everyone who has been watching this build.  I sorry it’s been so long since the last entry.  I’m going to call this one done for now.  I hope to do something else and use this dory then but for now this is it.

The gear shown is: a Line bucket, a bait bucket, a lunch bucket, oars, a club, a bailing scoop, a cutting board and knife, on the thwart and a coil of rope. There is a divider about in the middle of the boat. The fisherman is in the bow with all the gear and he loads the fish into the other end.  You will notice there is no sail.  Use of a sail was up to the fisherman.  The way I heard it stated is. The schooner is the dormitory and kitchen but the dory is the fisherman’s home, (he in it about 12 hours a day) and he modifies it to his liking.

Here are the pictures for now. 

post-513-0-52003300-1365981318_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-99568900-1365981319_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-12118800-1365981321_thumb.jpg

The admiral saw a picture of a sweet little gaff rigged yawl and said “That would be a nice model”,  and what the admiral wants. . .

Bob

That is a fine looking model. Great interior details. Congratulations.

Russ

Russ, Michael, Popeye,

Thanks for stopping by and the good words.  The square of wood on the seat is a cutting board.  With the knife, (brown handle to right of the cutting board) the fisherman would cut up the mackerel for bait.

Bob

Ah thanks Bob, Had I been sharper I would have sorted that out from your extensive description, one of those can't see the forest for the trees moments, but in this instance can't see the fish for the bait(knife) :blush:

Michael

Happy Birthday Bob.  And congrats on completion of a first rate model.  Your details really make her shine. 

Looking at her, for just a moment I saw myself at sea, chopping bait and stalking the elusive Atlantic Cod.  What more could a model possibly accomplish?

WELL DONE!!!!