America by hamilton - FINISHED - Mamoli - 1:66 scale

Hi Peter!

Yes - I was experimenting with some new approaches, including hand stitching the hems and boltropes, which turned out to be a real bust....I've read through a number of tutorials on scale sail-making, but I feel that none of them are suitably descriptive in terms of the actual process....I am going to eventually order volume for of David Antscherl's The Fully Framed Model, which I understand has a section on sail making.....given the high quality of the descriptions in the rest of that series I've got high hopes for the sail-making parts......

In any case, I have made sails for the America - they are machine stitched (easy enough) and I've simulated the hems with regular machine stitching....I'll post some photos later to show the results....they're not pretty close up, but they work fine to bring the model to life a bit more (as long as people aren't too picky about things....the main issue is the fraying of the sail cloth around the outside hem stitches....it is impossible (for me anyway) to cut the sails from the cloth exactly to the hem line, so there is a bit of fraying - sometimes this results in the hem stitch getting pulled out a bit too....fortunately this has only happened in areas of the model that don't immediately draw the eye....except my eye of course......

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hello there

Just a few photos of the progress to date on America - realising I've not updated here in a while....a lot has been accomplished since my last update with photos - finished making the spars and doing the standing rigging, made 3 of the five sails and now rigged them......here are the results.

post-304-0-00576600-1475908729.jpg

post-304-0-70035800-1475908738.jpg

post-304-0-63572200-1475908745.jpg

Now to finish stitching the fore staysail and jib and finishing her off! Next post should do it I think.....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton

Those are indeed nice looking sails. My viewing distance might be a bit big but Bob looks at them from a point a few thousand miles closer and he agrees with me...  ;)

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Bob, Peter and David for the comments and likes! Sails are so tricky....and I have a lot to learn on that front.....but even in the crude form they have here I think they add a lot to the look of a model. Looking forward to finishing this one! It's taken FAR longer than I imagined (working on it for over a year - almost as long as the much more complex Blandford)......

hamilton

Well after over 13 months and over 100 actual work sessions America is now complete! It seems fitting that the last night of work on this model was among the most frustrating. I'm sure we've all experienced times when it occurs to us (too late!) that it probably was not the right time for us to sit down at the bench but we did it anyway....that was me tonight.....In rigging the jib halliard, I pulled its corresponding deck block free, but then in pulling up the eyebolt it was stropped to I ended up pulling free the single block holding the starboard side staysail sheets, and then when I was cutting away the thread with which I'd stropped that block to an eyebolt on the cap rail, I ended up crushing the starboard block for the jib sheet!! I thought I was ten minutes away from completing the model, and then put in another 90 minutes worth of work doing repairs, and then having to redo the jib halliard block on deck twice!

Anyway, I think I would have put things to bed when the chaos first happened if I hadn't been so close to the end....all in all, I'm pleased with how the model turned out. There were a lot of (to me) confusing parts of this build and the fact that the kit was missing some key components (thanks again for the replacements Tim!!) and had others that were not the proper size for the jobs they were meant to do made things tricky and sometimes frustrating. I fretted probably more than I needed to over the hull planking since I ended up replacing the hull planking material - but used wood strips dimensioned for imperial measurements when the kit used metric.....But all in all, I had fun building this model and would probably recommend it. 

Thanks to all for following along and another special thanks to Tim (mojofilter) for the help! I've decided to build Syren next, but will not be keeping a log. I find that when I do I have less time for following my favourite builds here, so I think I'll spend my MSW time admiring other people's work! Here's a photo of the finished model - more in the gallery! Bye for now

hamilton

post-304-0-91660100-1476166197.jpg

Congratulations, Hamilton.  She's a beauty and I hope you'll put her in a case.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Hamilton,

very nice model and sails of the "America"   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Hamilton

We all have that moments with broken spars, wrongly cut rigging, lost parts etc... Mr Murphy seems to like model ship builders (and I am quite sure real ship builders as well). But...

!Congratulations on the finished America! :champagne:

Oh, and please reconsider your decision not to keep a log for Syren. Other people would like to admire your work.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you Mark, Nils and Peter! 

Peter - there are so many great Syren builds on the go that I'm unsure what mine would add! I will be keeping up with my scratch Bluenose log so you can find me there as an occasional contributor - I'm a kitchen table modeller so when Canadian winter descends I can't really use any of my power tools (haven't even tried to convince the Admiral to let me use the bandsaw in our dining room!)....so the challenge will be to get all the heavy cutting and sanding done before I'm unable to reliably work outside.....and I'll look forward to catching up on your America build! And Tim's (haven't heard from him in a while.....)

Anyway thanks again! Bye for now

hamilton

Hi Hamilton -

All I can say is wow!  You really did a fantastic job on the sails.  I'm still debating...

Sorry it's been so long since I last checked in but the new wood shop has eaten away at my late summer and alas my America has been under a dry cleaning bag in the den for far too long.  At least I will have a warm shop to build the case and the stand in (or, in which to build the case and stand - in college professor speak).  Now that the New Mexico autumn is fast approaching, I can get back to the final rigging.  Your pictures have been and will be a great help!  Please check in from time to time on my log - hopefully coming back to life soon.

It has been a genuine pleasure watching your build - she is beautiful and you can be really proud!

I will follow your Syren build with great interest.

Happy modeling!

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Thanks a lot Tim! Oh to have a wood shop! Or a New Mexico autumn for that matter....I imagine it's drier than the one we're having up here in the pacific northwest.....

I'll wait for your return to America - I hope you do get back to her soon - she's a lovely model! Bye for now

hamilton

Hi Hamilton

There is always something new in another build log of a known kit and you may open chances for other builders to avoid (or reproduce) possible mistakes.

Admiralty and band saw: Maybe if you try to convince the admiral that you absolutely have to use a chainsaw at the dining table she will compromise on a small Dremel or Proxxon tool. That's basically all I need for the kits - however you can produce a lot of sawdust with those and some hand-sanding as well.

Dining or ship building - sometimes it's hard to choose your priorities. ;)

Take care

peter

Congratulations, she is a fine looking ship

• 2 months later...

Hello!  And thanks for the excellent build log!

I'm starting on the Mamoli America.  I have the building board done and I've shimmed up the central former to match the plans.

You seemed to have solved a problem I'm trying to figure out.

Back in September, you posted a picture showing the keel marked out.

post-1141-0-73869800-1481558613_thumb.png

How did you determine that width?

Initially, I was wondering if the false keel and stern post were actually part of the central former or something I would have to add later.  Once I put the former up against the plans -- the whole ship plan, showing the coppering on the hull, not the outline of the central former -- it was clear that the keel and stern post were integrated into the central former.

That, of course, meant that I would have to take that into account when carving the former away at the bearding line and establishing the groove along the keel into which the planking will fit.

Thing is, I couldn't figure out how wide to make that keel.  How did you to it, if you don't mind my asking?

Dan