Majellan by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 - Luxury 37 m Motor Yacht - Miniature

nice head start Patrick  ;)    you have a very ambitious plan.........I like it!  :)    looking forward in seeing your progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the start is made Patrick,

and Progress is well under way....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Not a problem at all! And, if you ever have a specific question, or something you want me to look at, always feel free to send me a PM or ask in your post, etc. I absolutely love sharing anything I have knowledge on as much as I love learning new things. It's never a burden to me. 

I found an image I remember seeing that led to my comments on the hull - it is attached below:

post-17514-0-02321600-1443712585_thumb.png

I grabbed it from here:

http://www.flemingyachts.com/78layouts.html

It's a 78 foot boat, but the hull form (at least below waterline) appears to be what you are shooting for. In the profile picture, if you can see the line drawn out for the chine (it runs right above the prop from the transom to a bit forward of midship), see how it rises forward, then 'disappears' into the hull. As it rises, it's also softening, such that where it  disappears is where the hull is completely faired all the way down to where the bulb starts to reverse the curve of the stations.  On the link, if you look at the one plan view for the lowest decks, you can see how the bow gets quite narrow below waterline forward of midship, meaning the boat has a lot of bow flare forward, with a smooth entry faired into the bulb. Hopefully this helps illustrate the concept I was trying to express.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hello Patrick, Just saw your new build log.... Count me in mate. I'm looking forward to watching the progress of your build. :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

That looks a lot better! there may need to be a touch more fairing into the bulb, but then again, at the scale you're working with the practicality/possibility of that may be low, and the overall effect may be minimal to what you're aiming for. So, I'd say you've got it down!

Looks really great.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

Just got caught up with your very ambitious project Patrick.  Looks like I have to find a seat in the balcony. She'll be a challenge alright but you are up to it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Patrick

Off to a great start I can see. The hull looks super sleek and so so small. Can't wait for your future logs.

Havagoodone mate

G7 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi everyone

I'm very grateful for all your comments and Likes. Keep'em coming, because it keeps me going! :)

Tonight, I've had a go at carving the wooden hull, based upon the clay mock up and advice from Ben and Bill. Here are some photos of the rough job so far. Heaps more sanding, patching and sanding and patching (you know the drill) to go. But at least it's a start.

Hope you're all well and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-95579100-1443882758_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-38551300-1443882767_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-54673400-1443882773_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-82002800-1443882778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

It's interesting to see the hull being shaped during the design process Patrick.  B)  I think you're doing a fine job, and especially with no plans to reference.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George.

Bill and Ben's advice was invaluable and so was the clay mock up. But, without a proper set of plans, it's really a 'suck it and see' sort of job, at the moment....you know, a little bit here, a little bit there...all the while trying to stay within the general direction set out by Ben.

Still heaps of fun, though.

All the best and thanks!

Cheers

Patrick

It's interesting to see the hull being shaped during the design process Patrick.  B)  I think you're doing a fine job, and especially with no plans to reference.  :)

G'day Patrick

I would assume that you will fibreglass your carving and the carving is a plug? I know if I ***​ume it will make an *** out of you and me!

Very interested to see what happens next.

Goodonyamate

Greg :cheers:

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Greg

Ain't nothing wrong with assuming things....!!!

I'm actually not too sure how I'm going to proceed with the hull.  I could use it as a plug and plank over it.  Alternatively, I may actually use the wooden hull as the hull itself and paint it.  The important thing is that whatever method I decide upon, I'll still need to be able to separate the hull so that the individual decks can be viewed.

Stay tuned, whilst I try to figure it out!

Thanks and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Good work Patrick,

the hull Looks very elegant...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Patrick

Sorry I'm late to the party - I just found this log.  Looks like an ambitious project and I'm looking forward to another of your excellent builds.

Patrick,

Ah the positions we put ourselves in.  We say, "I've never done this before but this is what I want to do.  Now how the H . . . am I going to do it".  Now the fun begins.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Patrick,

Ah the positions we put ourselves in. We say, "I've never done this before but this is what I want to do. Now how the H . . . am I going to do it". Now the fun begins.

Bob

Yep! You're not wrong!!! Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your comments and Likes! Greatly appreciated!

Tonight, I've continued to work on the hull...more sanding, more puttying, more shaping, etc, etc, etc. I hope I've been true to Ben's suggestions about the flare in the bow and the overall underwater's shape. If not, it's not too late to still work on it.

Anyhow, here's the results!

Cheers and thanks

Patrick

Sent from my iPad

post-7645-0-12516800-1444050914_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-93979100-1444050930_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-65243900-1444050951_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-43993000-1444050974_thumb.jpeg

Looking good! I think you've captured the essence of the hull form suggestions. She looks really streamlined! 

~ Ben

Current Builds: