Majellan by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 - Luxury 37 m Motor Yacht - Miniature

Wow Patrick, looking at the interior layout drawings you have your work cut alright!  That'll keep you occupied for a while  ;)

Cheers,

Hi Piet!  Thanks and yep.  Gonna be fun, as well.

Your yacht model is looking very good so far, Patrick. The only thing I would say is that in real life a yacht of that size would also have a side thrust system in the stern like the bow. Keep up your great work, I am looking forward to more.

Hi BDGiantman

Thanks - but a 'side thrust system'???  I can't see anything like that on the plans that I have; apart from the two propellors at the rear.  Would you have any pictures/examples (if possible) that I could look at?

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks

Edited by Omega1234

The only thing I would say is that in real life a yacht of that size would also have a side thrust system in the stern like the bow. 

I don't believe that is true as a general statement. I only say this because I interned with a shipbuilder, and while I was there they were constructing a very large (85 meter/280 foot) motoryacht. I was interning with the engineering department, so I had access to all the design plans, etc. I think it had a tunnel thruster at the bow, and it had active roll stabilizers (two sets, fwd and aft). But it didn't have a tunnel thruster aft. And, based on Patrick's drawings, I don't believe this boat has one either.

It really depends on customer requirements, I would think. Plus, with a good electronic control system, you can make the boat crab in and out (move sideways) using just a bow thruster and two props/rudders, thus negating the need for a stern thruster.

Granted, stern tunnels may be a current trend in large yachts - it's not my industry of expertise, so I can defer that I don't follow all the latest designs and trends closely. If you have some examples, I'd love to see them. But in the yachts I've seen, across a variety of sizes and companies (Westport and Christiansen come to mind), I haven't seen a lot of stern tunnel thrusters. I don't think they are that common, probably because it's yet another potential leak point, it complicates construction, and it adds drag.  All that said, I think tunnel thrusters are really cool, and I'd probably throw one in the stern of my own (imaginary) yacht just to do it.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Ben and also, a big thank you to BDGiantman

Ben - thanks for your advice.  After BDGiantman's advice above regarding the side thrusters, I had started trolling the internet trying to find examples of a similar yacht which had one installed.  I wasn't having much success, unfortunately.

However, as you've said, perhaps they aren't as common as one may have thought.  Most certainly, they are not present on the ship's plans.

Nevertheless, it was a worthwhile exercise for me, just for the sake of learning something new.

Thanks and all the very best to you both!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all the Likes and comments, all of which are greatly appreciated!

Well, tonight, I took a break from painting the hull because I needed to get the exact position of the stern door; as its location has a significant impact upon the rest of the build. Better to get it right now, rather than messing about later on. (FYI - You may recall that the stern door leading to the rear hangar is designed to be lowered to form a diving platform and launching deck for Majellan's tender and two jet skis). I then fashioned a temporary mock up of the stern door from balsa, which can be seen in some of the photos below. Inside the hull, I simulated the metal deck of the engine room and hangar floor, with some metal sheeting that I bought from the from the local hobby shop this morning. The sheet already came with a pattern that replicates a full sized non-slip metal surface, which was perfect for my needs ...I hope I'm making sense!

Here are the results.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-88387300-1447768702_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-87604000-1447768720_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-20553800-1447768737_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-03392400-1447768754_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-14139600-1447768772_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-11340500-1447768798_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Patrick,

Looks great, the floor of the Speed boat Hangar ;),   it will again be a fill of super Detail work you are going for    :)....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Ah what fun.  Now we start the insides. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hey Patrick, You are making perfect sense. She's looking great. Fantastic work

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

G'day Patrick

This is the part of your build that I looooove. Looking great and please keep them coming.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Yup, makes perfect sense Patrick, even a dumb Dutch Yankee can understand it  ;)

Like the metal deck plating.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Dear Patrick, this is really an amazing project oozing creativity. Really really nice. Is the paint enamel applied with brush?

Dear Patrick, this is really an amazing project oozing creativity. Really really nice. Is the paint enamel applied with brush?

Hi Vaddoc

Many thanks! Yep, the hull's hand painted with a brush using Humbrol Enamel paints. The finish is still pretty rough, but I think I'm getting drawn into doing the interior before I've achieved the glass smooth finish that I'm after. I need to be a bit more disciplined and get back to finishing off the hull's paint, instead of getting side-tracked by the interior.

Oh, the temptation!

All the best

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Been wanting to comment but with getting back to work and then settling back in at home and then a windstorm knocking power out for a day, haven't made the opportunity.

Anyway, I really like that contrasting bottom paint - I wasn't sure how the blue-green would look with the black topsides when I suggested it, but it really makes the hull pop! And, of course, I am as tempted as you are to have you skip right to the interior.

I've said it before, and I'll probably keep saying it, but I really get excited about seeing how interiors come together and seeing a 2D concept materialize into 3D, with all the inner workings of the bulkheads and passages and the various fixtures and furniture. I'm even more excited for this boat, given it's size (not the model, the source boat) since there are multiple decks and intricate, separated rooms and spaces. Really stoked to see it come together.

You really shouldn't have teased with that aft door and boat hold only to put it off more! You sure know how to keep an audience captive... 

Take care, and keep up the good work! And, just as an FYI, real yachts are built, insides and all, before they make it shine like a new penny on the outside ;)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

Thanks Ben! I'm really excited about this build as well, for the very same reasons you've mentioned.

It's also good to know that the real ships are built the same way....kinda makes me feel not so lazy about not finishing the hull first!

Thanks again and all the best

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone- thanks for all of your comments and Likes. Always appreciated.

Well, woohoo!!! Who's a happy boy, then?

It's only taken me a few days of head scratching and brain cells, but I've finally figured out how to get the stern door (which leads to the tender garage) to work. Part of the secret was to use a paper hinge and to get the pivot point of the hinge positioned 'just right'.

There's still a lot of finessing to go, but at least the door works and that's all that matters at this stage. I can start sanding and painting it later.

Anyhow, here's the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-07101000-1448115788_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-50920500-1448115801_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-59263900-1448115815_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-37232700-1448115829_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-54718300-1448115845_thumb.jpeg

post-7645-0-95873600-1448115865_thumb.jpeg

I have to agree with Frank, Well done Patrick

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Bingo!!!!   You nailed it.  Great looking and working door, Patrick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Patrick. 

Congratulations on a wonderful and different job. Scrathing your head head and using the grey matter​ does work. What are you going to do on the side of the transom next to the door? Also will you be making the two Runabouts and their details as well? Interesting! 

Well mate as I and many others has said before, this is where the fun starts! 

Keep up to your usual standards and this will be outstanding! 

The only problem that I can say about your scales models are: they are too bloody small to get a good depth of field when you take the photos!  :D

Havagooday mate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Excellent job on the stern door Patrick!!!  I love it!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Nice!

Now we just need to see the miniature hydraulic power unit, hoses, and arms that will move that beast of a door up and down! ;)

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Nice!

Now we just need to see the miniature hydraulic power unit, hoses, and arms that will move that beast of a door up and down! ;)

I wasn't going to bring that up, Ben...  I figured someone else would. :P  :P :P  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)