Majellan by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 - Luxury 37 m Motor Yacht - Miniature

Hi Greg and Patrick

A meter is 39.37 inches, so a 37 meter yacht should be 1457 inches (121.4 ft).  1457 Inches at 1:200 scale would be 7.285 inches, so Patrick is right (why am I not surprised?).  (I learned inches to a meter back in basic training eons ago - never forgot it, but this is probably the first time I've ever used it!) 

Hi Patrick - just tried sending you a PM but I think your mailbox is full.

Wanted you to know I finally started the build log for Dunbrody in the Scratch section.  I'm enjoying all of your builds and hope you enjoy watching my latest (it's a challenge!)

Frank

Hi Greg and Patrick

A meter is 39.37 inches, so a 37 meter yacht should be 1457 inches (121.4 ft).  1457 Inches at 1:200 scale would be 7.285 inches, so Patrick is right (why am I not surprised?).  (I learned inches to a meter back in basic training eons ago - never forgot it, but this is probably the first time I've ever used it!)

Stand corrected!

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Patrick

Like everyone else, I'm at awe at what you have done in such a miniscule scale. Love it, love it, love it all.

On the first photo, I enlarge and after gazing at all of that pic, I click next then next and so on. At the last one I was so sad that wasn't anymore.

Well done memattie!

Havagooday

Greg

Hi Greg - thanks once again! I love working at this scale, because it all fits in the palm of your hand. Easy to store and display. Stay tuned for more photos over the next few days!

great progress Patrick..  :)   very well set up!

Thanks Denis! She's getting there!

G'day Patrick and Bob

I've been trying to work out this myself. The yacht is 37 metres long which is 93980 inches. The model is 7 inches long, therefore there's 13426 lengths of the model into the length of the yacht. So what is the scale?that is where I'm stuck!

good luck in working this out, but I think 1:200 far too big, it has to be smaller than that!

Greg

Hi Greg - gulp! Now you've got me worried! I'm sure I got the scale right....

G'day Patrick, I'm doing the rounds trying to catch up on all the lovely builds I follow, as for yours they always blow me away, very impressive intricate work, the photos always amaze me and I think Wow what detail, and then the next pic shows your thumb in the pic and then that says it all, so you either have one hell of a big thumb or one hell of a tiny model, very beautiful work and always well done,

best regards John.

Thanks John - your comments are great and I really appreciate them! Thanks also, for finding that remote! I won't let it go now....

G'day again Patrick, I've found the remote, here it is,        -         :D :D :D

Fantastic work Patrick.  I learned quite a bit from your build and enjoyed all of it.  Someday I hope to be able to work at that scale.

David B

Thanks David.. I really appreciate your comments. I also hope you're well, because I've noticed that you've been a bit quiet lately.

Hi Greg and Patrick

Hi Patrick - just tried sending you a PM but I think your mailbox is full.

Wanted you to know I finally started the build log for Dunbrody in the Scratch section.  I'm enjoying all of your builds and hope you enjoy watching my latest (it's a challenge!)

Frank

Thanks for saving my bacon, Frank! I was sure that I'd gotten the scale calc right, but knowing me, anything is possible. Thanks also for letting me know about your new project. I'm looking forward to following along.

All the best, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

Sorry, somehow I missed that the yacht was 37 meters.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi everyone

I hope you're all well. Just a short, but quick update. I've started on the construction of the Bridge decks interior accommodation. In particular, although you can't see it clearly, is the Bridge Deck's control console. The steering wheel will be added later. There's also a drink's bar amidship, together with other assorted items, e.g. the round coffee table.

All the best

Patrick

post-7645-0-43343200-1459696893_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76249900-1459696902_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-34670500-1459696913_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-79163000-1459696926_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-06865200-1459696935_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-70621400-1459696948_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-86282000-1459696959_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-50613500-1459696980_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-01361000-1459696989_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-16148500-1459696996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Lawrence

Many thanks for the belated Birthday wishes. I had a great day and hopefully I'll continue to have many more to come.

I'm glad that you're enjoying my build log of Majellan, because she's certainly lots of fun to build.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Hello Patrick, just caught up myself with the progress you have made.  Fantastic work and it surely inspires me to try my hand at something small, someday.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I've only missed your build for a week but your progress has made it seem like a lot longer. So much incredible detail so quickly. Nice work!

Hi Glenn-many thanks.  That means heaps to me, especially when I look at your build and dream about being able to do what you're doing.

Hello Patrick, just caught up myself with the progress you have made.  Fantastic work and it surely inspires me to try my hand at something small, someday.

Cheers,

Thanks Piet.  I'll be the first one to hop on board your build, should you chose to do a miniature ship.  Come to think of it, I have little doubt that you would absolutely ace it!!!!

Cheers and all the best to you both.

Patrick

wow......now that's tiny!  great job on the furnishings  ;)  never even knew they made a micron ruler  :)   the pillars look better too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

wonderful miniature modeling Patrick,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Patrick

I'm keep on forgetting how small this build is. With all the details in all the rooms, I'm stunned to think about how difficult it must be.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Very nice furniture Patrick!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi everyone and thanks for all of your Likes, especially Elijah, Greg, Nils and Denis for their most recent compliments.

So far, I've managed to do a bit more work on the fit-out of Majellan's Bridge-deck lounge, as you'll see from some of the photos. While it may not be immediately obvious from the photos, I've also started to do some of the Bridge Deck's deck furniture that'll sit on the deck; namely a curved settee with black cushions as well as the large white lounges at the very aft of the deck, upon which all the beautiful girls are supposed to be sunning themselves!

Still heaps of work to go. Nothing's glued in yet. In fact, I've hardly paid much attention to the paintwork at all. One day, I'll get around to finishing the sanding and puttying! One day...

Have a great week, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-25546100-1460301301_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-32880100-1460301307_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72868800-1460301314_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-42119600-1460301322_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-85118700-1460301327_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33172800-1460301335_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02204100-1460301342_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-68103700-1460301349_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-97715200-1460301401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

She keeps looking better.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Just fantastic, Patrick.    I'm worried you'll finish everything and then not be able to put on one of your great paint jobs.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Patrick

Beautiful work on the furniture mate. I can close my eyes and can imagine that I'm lying on that incredible lounge on the sun deck and having my butler pour me a cold glsss of champagne (French of course) and giving me some horderves. "What a life!"

Havagooday mate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Very nice Patrick!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

looking awesome Patrick.   leave the woodwork and just do accents.......it would be sad to paint over any of it

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Patrick - took your advice and am having a glass while admiring your yacht.  Spectacular - another one of a kind build out of your shipyard.

Hi Patrick - took your advice and am having a glass while admiring your yacht.  Spectacular - another one of a kind build out of your shipyard.

Hi Frank. I'm glad you took my advice, because that glass is very well deserved!

looking awesome Patrick.   leave the woodwork and just do accents.......it would be sad to paint over any of it

Hi Denis. Many thanks! I'll keep the wooden bits varnished, but the white superstructure and black hull badly needs some TLC, because they're as rough as guts. I just find it hard to paint anything because I love doing all the fiddly bits more, at the moment.

Very nice Patrick!

Hi Elijah. Many thanks and I really appreciate your support!

G'day Patrick

Beautiful work on the furniture mate. I can close my eyes and can imagine that I'm lying on that incredible lounge on the sun deck and having my butler pour me a cold glsss of champagne (French of course) and giving me some horderves. "What a life!"

Havagooday mate

Greg

Hi Greg. Thanks! I'm the same as you. I'd love to lounge around on-deck as well. A nice cocktail, great company and a sunset cruise would be just wonderful!

Just fantastic, Patrick.    I'm worried you'll finish everything and then not be able to put on one of your great paint jobs.

Hi Mark. Thanks....I'm just as worried as you are! I love doing the interior work so much, that the painting has been neglected; that's for sure. I need to pry myself away from the internal work and concentrate on the surface painting and finish...!

She keeps looking better.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I really appreciate your comments and I always look forward to hearing from you (as I do every other MSW member).

All the vey best, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hello Patrick - - - totally unreal!

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi everyone

Majellan's progress continues along, slowly.  I have been painting the superstructure, rubbing down in-between coats.  You'd be hard pressed to notice, though; judging by the close up photos.  Admittedly, the lighting and the accumulation of the dust from recent sanding, etc does tend to show-up in the close-up photos.  I swear that she looks good from 10 metres away (LOL).

Anyhow, as you can see from the photos, I've done the staircases connecting the main deck, bridge deck and the sun deck.  I've also done a bit more work on some of the deck furniture, e.g. large settees on the aft of the bridge deck and the settee on the aft of the main deck.

Lots of fun stuff to go, including continuing to improve on the paint job!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-98814600-1460824292_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-04647100-1460824299_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-66105400-1460824304_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-78590700-1460824310_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-87693200-1460824316_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-41729600-1460824323_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80302800-1460824329_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02927800-1460824336_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-37896400-1460824342_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-69953800-1460824348_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-50072600-1460824363_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-81935400-1460824370_thumb.jpg

What a "little" beauty.

Bob

G'day Patrick

Loooookinggoodmyfriend!

It's hard enough to do a curved staircase at 1-48 scale, but 1-300 or whatever it is, I think it would be impossible. But again you proved me wrong.

The paint work is brilliant, everyone knows that photos shows all the faults, no, I mean blemishes, and macro is another thing you have to dill with.

Just super

Havagooday mate

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Nice work on the details Patrick.  Looks like she has plenty of entertainment places. 

The paint work really makes her grand.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra