HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Hi Bob - just saw your message after the last reply! Thanks for coming by and thanks for the compliment! Yes they were tricky - and my first attempt (documented above) was pretty disappointing. The hardest part was remembering the correct procedure for threading the line between the top and the euphroe...I would often get the wrong sequence and have to unthread and start again from an earlier point.....many mistakes later I think they look ok - and they do add a lot to the build - they aren't part of the Corel design, but I've tried to stick as close to Goodwin's documentation as is within my skill level and as the often stubborn Corel kit allows.

Bye for now

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton,

I'm late to the party but the crow's feet came out fantastic.  Nice job on the rework.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark - I'm usually late, too - in revisiting your Licorne log, for example!! I'll get there soon to see how you're doing.....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

No rush, Hamilton.  I'm not getting anything done to speak of.   Except counting down the days to retirement.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lucky you, Mark! I'm still counting down the years...though I know I'll miss it.....

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

Well I have no photos unfortunately - sorry! But I've now managed to install the main topmast and associated standing rigging elements, plus the main topmast staysail rigging. With this completed, I could also rig the fore lower shrouds, fore stay and fore preventer. Things are really starting to slow down at this point and it feels like it's going to take forever to get through the standing rigging - and then there's still a long way to go!! 10 spars and all associated rigging, plus the lanterns, figurehead, spare masts, sweep ports and sweeps......and ratlines....lots and lots of ratlines.

Speaking of which I managed to get through the ratlines on the mizzen lower shrouds, futtock shrouds and topmast shrouds this evening - this did not go badly. I felt I needed a meditative evening, and what better for this than endless clove hitches! I'll post some photos tomorrow - for now, goodnight

hamilton

Are we encountering a bout of mid-build doldrums?  STOP COUNTING :D  :D

I think we all hit this once in a while.  The final goal is fixed in your mind.  Keep the steps reasonable and defined and, one by one, they get completed.  I know you know this!

Enjoy yourself.  Winter is coming :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Lovely Hamilton, You've done a wonderful job the crows feet, well done, I'll add these to the list for a future build.  I was contemplating putting them on my Snake as I really like the look, but they are not perhaps appropriate for the period and suspect I'll have plenty of other rigging 'learning opportunities'.  Think I know how you feel, taking it one step at a time I'm sure you'll get through it - personally, I've found that putting extra effort into the seemingly endless tasks makes me enjoy them more even if it slows things down, the worst result for me is looking at something that I rushed or did half heartedly.  Keep up the fantastic work!

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Alright then - a quick update with some photos. The lower shrouds are now complete, and last night I installed the last of the crowsfeet (on the fore top/stay) and tackles plus the catharpins (not pictured). I'll be moving on next to making the fore topmast and main & fore topgallants. Because of the way the main topgallant stay & main topgallant staysail are rigged (belayed in the fore top), I have to complete these before completing the standing rigging on the fore topmast. So though I'll be making the topmast and attaching the rigging elements, I won't be rigging it until the main topgallant mast is fully rigged. After that it's on to complete the ratlines....and that will bring the standing rigging to a close....moving on to the last phase...

Hold on a second! I just tried uploading photos and for some reason my uploads keep failing - this seems to happen when the forum wants to create a new page....so I'll post this message and then try again with the photos.....

hamilton

OK let's try the photos again....Enjoy!

hamilton

post-304-0-37464000-1382306291_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-61936500-1382306323_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-74204800-1382306389_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-69214800-1382306415_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-33546800-1382306441_thumb.jpg

Great work Hamilton. I echo Andy - amazing stuff at such a small scale. Could you take a photo of it with a common object or a ruler so that we can appreciate that?

Is this one a keeper or, like some of your previous models, will you send it to a new home?

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Andy and Alistair:

The scale is indeed a challenge - sometime in the future I'll be working on the Bellona which I guess is still at 1:100 scale, but is a larger model, so I might be able to achieve more. I will get a picture of it with a ruler to give a sense of proportion.

Alistair - this one's a keeper. It'll be going up on a shelf in my son's room with some of the other builds - Kate Cory, Gretel, Toulonnaise and the Brittany Sloop.

hamilton

Thank you Ferit! Much appreciated.

As requested (by Alistair), here is a shot of the Blandford in profile with a 30cm ruler in the foreground. It's funny - when I'm working on it, it doesn't really seem that small, but it's not really much more than 500mm in length! To tell the truth, this is the first time I've held the ruler up to it and gotten a sense of it as a whole - I'm usually so enveloped in working on the parts! Anyway, here it is

hamilton

post-304-0-74909400-1382420527_thumb.jpg

Wow Hamilton. That is seriously small. To see that does make your work so much more impressive. Thank you for obliging, wow, wow, wow. Hats off to you. Fantastic!

Now I need a close up of those 2mm blocks in place...

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

It's always good to step back once in a while and enjoy what you've done.  Very nice......and really small!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks all! Alistair - I'll get to that photo this evening - out of courtesy I should have posted one before! A horrible oversight....

hamilton

Thanks a lot Bob!

hamilton

Alright Alistair - as per your second request - here is the best shot I could get of the 2mm blocks. Please keep in mind I'm taking pictures on my iPhone - not exactly the best quality image! It's as close as I could get without the autofocus adjusting to the background. Anyway....2mm blocks in action! And a shot of the main ratlines thrown in for good measure....Thanks again, Alistair!!

hamilton

post-304-0-84402900-1382507943_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-58064700-1382507973_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hamilton - Good to see them in use...just see them. Those things are like grains of sand and it further shows how small the parts you are dealing with are. You have become a master! Hats off.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hamilton,

That is cracking stuff. It is looking great.

The use of a rule in photos really brings home the scale.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Well I see it's been over a week since my last update - October and November are always very busy times at work. Not a lot of time for modelling, I'm afraid. But in the small hours I've been able to carve out I've moved a little closer to completing the standing rigging. I can't think of all the things I've done since the last post, but definitely this has included the following

-- constructing & outfitting the fore topmast

-- constructing & outfitting the main topgallant mast

-- rigging the fore topmast & jib stays & associated tackles

-- rigging the main topgallant stay, topgallant backstays & topgallant shrouds

-- rigging the fore topmast backstays

-- rigging the bowsprit horses

I still have the fore topmast shrouds & a lot of ratlines to install, plus rigging for the main topgallant staysail, the fore staysail, and the jib. Finally, I need to construct & outfit the fore topgallant mast, and install the associated rigging - the stay, backstays and shrouds...That will bring the standing rigging to a close.....

Anyway, as mentioned before it's tough to get half decent photos on my iphone but here are a few shots - enjoy!

hamilton

Edit - Just tried uploading photos and again it's not working for some reason, so I'm going to put them in another post....

Photos

post-304-0-11557200-1383199647_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-62793900-1383199682_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-67472800-1383199707_thumb.jpg

Hi Hamilton

I'm amazed that with your children and your work how quick you build. More than that, how accurate you are as well. Stunning work at such a small scale. A pleasure to follow.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi hamilton,

some realy great work you are doing there, i have ordered mine and await delivery in a few days, i cant wait to get back into period ship buliding again since my last build of the de-ag part build Victory that got asfar as the hull palnking stage and some extra detailing i was putting inside.

Your build is an inspiration, as is most other members, and i follow with great interest.

C.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks Collingwood - You should also check out (if you haven't already) Harlequin's log of the Greyhound. 

The kit has some issues, and I advise you to be patient with it. As noted earlier here, I've been relying heavily on Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford as well as Lees' Masting & Rigging of English Ships of War. Both have been useful, though they throw into harsher relief the deficiencies of the kit.

I've made a lot of modifications, but I think that even if you follow the construction suggestions supplied by Corel it builds up into a very nice model - Harlequin's build is a case in point. Just go slow and do a lot of forward planning! You should start a log on MSW - I'll certainly follow with interest, and I'd be happy to provide any tips or suggestions along the way should you require them. Good luck!

hamilton