HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Tony I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Tony I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

hamilton

Me either ....

C.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Hamilton

You're nearly there by the looks of things. Have a great Christmas and all the best to you and your family for 2014. I look forward to seeing the end of this build and the start of the next.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! 

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

Hello:

A minor update with no photos....SORRY!! I've not exactly been neglecting the Blandford, but have had very little time and energy for working on her in the last couple of months. I have completed the spars and running rigging on the mizzen mast and this evening I worked on outfitting the main course yard....she's looking alright - none the worse for picking up a bit of dust in the last weeks....Hard to say when I can get back on a regular modelling schedule - nothing is regular with 2 small kids! (with profound respect for those of you who have more than 2....). Anyway, hope you're all enjoying yourselves! Bye for now, and I will update with photos soon....

hamilton

Welcome back Hamilton

I remember when we had our second girl, 2 years apart, someone said 1+1=4. If you can work on the Blandford at all you are doing very well! I look forward to whatever your bleary eyes can send by way of updates.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Looking forward to an update.  Family first!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 1 month later...

Well hello....it's been another while - I see now that my last update with photos was before Christmas!! Shameful....but there are some photos now. The last shots were of the mizzen crossjack yard. Since then, I've constructed, outfitted and rigged the mizzen topsail yard, the main course and topsail yards and made & outfitted the main topgallant yard - to be rigged soon (Thursday with any luck). The list of things still to be completed is shrinking. And as I've been kept away mostly from building, I've made due with plotting out my next two builds - finishing rigging tables for the Fair Rosamund (OcCre Dos Amigos) and the Yacht America (Mamoli). Both will be made more or less out of the box, I think (after all the modifications and corrections on the Blandford, I'm looking for something more or less straightforward....I may replace some parts on both but no major modifications on these...

Anyway, here are the photos documenting the progress to date on Blandford - you'll notice in the first couple perhaps that the mizzen topsail yard is a little jaunty - I fixed this as I hope is visible in the final shots. Hope you're all keeping well and having fun!

hamilton

post-304-0-99772300-1394605607_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-65133200-1394605628_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-86177600-1394605647_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-15379300-1394605672_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-99435100-1394605695_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-37931100-1394605721_thumb.jpg

Edited by hamilton

Nice rigging work, Hamilton.  You really are on the downhill run at this point... or maybe it's downwind run, to keep things nautical. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice to see her nearing completion.  And thanks on the heads-up for future projects.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking good Hamilton - I'm glad in your busy life you've found the time to get back at it. Now I can't wait for the next one...

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks a lot everyone for stopping by!! I appreciate the kind words and encouragement! Keeping an eye on your work as well. 

hamilton

Looking superb Hamilton. My Greyhound was involved in a slight accident ( wife took it out with a flailing arm whilst drying her hair) but luckily no damage done ( to the wife that is)  My new workstation has been located and well underway with bellonas first planking. Pics to follow. It is very interesting to see how we both coped with Greyhounds peculiarities and two very fine models have been the final outcome. Bellona has presented no real headaches yet compared to Greyhound, but I do have a massive infinity with the old girl because of the difficulties. I think you have done a better job than me because of the changes you have made to the original kit.  

looking realy nice hamilton, hope your well.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice to hear from you both, Harlequin & Collingwood - I've been missing your posts, both of you! Hopefully we'll see some updates soon...I've been eyeing the Bellona lately, though I have a couple of "commissions" to get through first - a couple of builds for friends...don't think I'll get to her for a while....

hamilton

Well hello and welcome back....Like many others on the forum, I've lost some photos on my build log....one has to expect this sort of casualty rate when upgrades, cleanups and backups are going on and I applaud our tireless forum administrators for their behind the scenes efforts!!

Eventually I will get to reposting the missing photos - I have them all somewhere and the names are still attached to the missing files so it shouldn't take long - at present, though, I'm so near to finishing that I'd rather press on with the build than re-post past entries here - if you are a soon-to-be greyhound builder and want to see some other photos, just prompt me here and I'll get them back up....

In the meantime, yesterday was a special day - my 1-year anniversary of starting on this build! The longest time it had taken me to build a ship model in the past was the Corel Toulonnaise at around 6 months. I had thought this one would be finished by late-November 2013! Ha!! So many modifications and so many issues with the kit definitely put the breaks on things, not to mention a new child and an increasingly busy work schedule and other projects drawing my attention. In any case, I thought I post a few pictures to document what she looks like one year in (though I think there are only about 10 working days left to go).....

Last night I made and outfitted the fore topsail yard, and began rigging it - truss, jeers and lifts. Tonight I'll finish the rigging and put on the ensign staff. Anyway, not much left of this one...enjoy the photos

hamilton

post-304-0-29992300-1395530030_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-43739400-1395530068_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-47853800-1395530108_thumb.jpg

Wow, one year and you're miles ahead of others who've been at it on their builds for far longer (and that's including all the kit bashing you've done)....

Nice to have the end in sight, isn't it? :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks Andy Richard and Bob! There certainly are a lot of little flaws (and larger ones) in this build, but one good thing about 1:100 scale is that the mistakes tend to be so small that you have to put your eye up pretty close to see them.......

Thanks again!

hamilton

..........but one good thing about 1:100 scale is that the mistakes tend to be so small that you have to put your eye up pretty close to see them.......

Hum.....I am not so sure about that. Mistakes tend not to scale down. If anything they stick out like a sore thumb on smaller scale models. The quality of your model is purely down to your excellent skill - not hard to see mistakes. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Great work Hamilton. Have to agree, a year is very fast for what you've achieved. Blandford looks magnificent!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thank you all! Such kind words from you guys mean a lot!

Ian - I appreciate this - though if you look closely at one of the photos above, one of the most egregious mistakes is staring us all right in the face!! I won't mention it here out of embarrassment, but if anyone can spot it....well I don't know what I could do to reward the effort...but something probably.

In the meanwhile, I've started experimenting with making sweeps....No photos yet to share, unfortunately. My first attempt involved a 2-part sweep - the shaft made from 2mm square basswood notched and whittled down to around 1.5mm round - and the blade made from 4mm x 1mm basswood, shaped and thinned. This proved a poor strategy - the wood is too soft at this scale and there was a lot of splintering and other forms of frustration.

My second attempt was to carve a sweep from a single piece of 4mm x 2mm basswood - this was a better approach but the soft wood was my enemy here too. On a whim I decided to look at the wood stock supplied with the Greyound kit (most of which remained untouched, since I replaced a lot of it). There I found 6 4mm x 2mm strips of walnut! I tried making one of the sweeps from this and it worked great. And there was almost enough of it for the 36 sweeps (I managed to cut 32 lengths last night at around 90mm each). I have a box full of scraps from old builds, and I'm reasonably confident I can get the remaining sweeps out of this supply.

The one sweep I made looks good, though it's only rough shaped and needs some fine touches and finishing. The model from the NMM which is serving as partial inspiration for this build features the sweeps finished in red with the ends of the blade finished in tallow or yellow (the photos are dim and the paint faded after a couple of centuries....). I'm thinking of leaving them in the natural walnut with some white on the blade but would be happy to hear of any period finishing suggestions that might add a touch of historical authenticity to the build....

Anyway, sorry for a long post with no eye candy! Bye for now

hamilton

Hamilton,

On my recent visit to the NMM I photographed the model of the ship ship with sweeps. I was intrigued that it is displayed with one of the ship's boats resting on the sweeps. I could imagine the crew manning those sweeps complaining about the extra weight and the crew in the boat wondering why they were going up and down and backwards and forwards! The boat also has the lifting gear from it up to the fore and main yards.

post-78-0-43149400-1395743657_thumb.jpg

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks for posting this Ian! This is the model I mentioned in my last post - I love the look of it with the sweeps run out - though I don't think I'll be punishing my crew with the added weight of the ship's boat (now lashed on deck....)! Thanks again for the photo!

hamilton