HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Hello all:

First of all, for Ferit I have the photo of the port side fore lower shrouds and ratlines (first photo below) - hope this is what you're looking for.

The night before last I shaped, finished and outfitted the spritsail yard, and this evening I installed and began rigging it. I had hoped to add the clews and sheets as well, but I only managed to add the sling, the halliard, the lifts and braces. I also added jibboom guys and guy falls (as noted in Lees), but ended up removing them because I felt they made the model look too cluttered. I'm now cursing the absence of a fairleader block on the bowsprit - which Goodwin features, but which I didn't feel confident in making - now I'm not satisfied with the chaos of lines at the bow, and yet don't feel up for dismantling all my work.......I will live with it, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll hopefully have a chance of finishing the spritsail yard rigging tomorrow - from there I'll start the spars from the mizzen mast forward.....Enjoy!

hamilton

post-304-0-49621500-1384501150_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-00658200-1384501179_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-07569600-1384501204_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-84338200-1384501538_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-90209000-1384501563_thumb.jpg

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I think "WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!" pretty much covers it....  :)   Great job on the rigging, Hamilton.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll second Mark's WOW.  Gets a little hairy toward the end with all the lines.....particularly at your scale.

NICELY DONE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Brilliant work....and to work with all them lines at this scale "gulp" "help" mind you better than the 700 scale modern warship im working on aswel....

C.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments all. 

Unfortunately I do not have an update on the Blandford, for two very good reasons. First, we welcomed our second child, a boy, last Sunday morning and the newborn is just far more pre-occupying to me than the boat has been. Second, it is end of semester and work has come to occupy the time that is otherwise occupied with family. I hope it is appropriate to mention this here, though it is not directly related to ship modelling.

I hope to get back to Blandford next week, once things settle down a bit. In the meantime, I'm planning my approach to the spars and remaining details...I'm not quite at the stage where I'm thinking ahead to the next build - but soon, I hope. It's strange - I've built larger models in the past, but building a ship-rigged vessel at scale is incredibly mind-bending in a way that I really did not anticipate....I'm sure you all know what I mean. I hope you're all enjoying your time at the bench. And now....back to work!!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Congratulation Hamilton, to you and to your entire family...

Wish God makes him grow with his father and his mother... (an idiom from my country) :)

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Congratulations to both you and the Admiral.  Many happy memories of the day.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Congratulations on your family addition Hamilton, yep ships go on the back burner mate

Nice bit of rigging though.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello all: Thanks for the kind notes!

Wolf - the rigging lines are only free of fluff now - later there will be a veritable winter wonderland of fluff polluting the lines. I don't build cases for my boats, because I'm an idiot. This opens them all to the wear and tear of any other household item. I read somewhere that using a small fan-shaped paint brush and running this along the lines can help - and this is what I normally do once a week on the models I keep around the house. I think that a can of compressed air might work too - especially on decks - as long as everything is good and secure!! However others on the forum might disagree - this might be a good question (if it hasn't been asked already) for general discussion.

In other news I've received a "commission" for a model boat from a friend of my wife's - it will be the Mamoli Yacht America - I'm just waiting for ME to ship it - I've been waiting for over 2 months!! This may pre-empt the Dos Amigos/Fair Rosamund build that has been commissioned by our close friends' 7-year old.....busy busy! The current build will go to our newborn - though he won't be in a position to even see it properly for quite some time. 

Bye for now

hamilton

Congratulations!  That's really great news :)  

Kids are wonderful, but I found that when the second was added (in my case, having twins the second time around), I had almost no free time for a few months.  Enjoy your time with your baby - the Blandford will be there when you're ready :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

All the best hamilton to you and the family,   an idea for blowing of dust/fluff - you could try one of those Rocket blowers for cameras, strong yet gentle,   your build is  coming on beautifuly  it looks realy stunning mate.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Really looking nice.  All the colors of the woods give a great contrast....good pictures.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Collingwood and John:

And sorry for the late response! It's been a nutty time out here in the grey Pacific NorthWest. But now the baby is a bit more settled, the semester is over and I can put a bit of time into the Blandford once again. Last night was the first time I touched the thing in about 3 1/2 weeks. I managed to shape, fnish & (mostly) outfit the mizzen yard. 

The rigging of it is a bit of a mystery - judging by Corel's plans (no surprise here), but I need to re-read Lees and see if I can't come up with an adequate interpretation for the Blandford. The typical lines are easy enough (throat, lifts, bowlines, truss, etc.), and I've left off rigging elements that are associated with the sails (blocks on the yard for the various bridles). But it's the rigging of the aft end of the yard down to the deck that is confusing. I'm going to spend some time with Lees this afternoon and some new rigging elements may get added next time I sit down at the bench.

In the meantime, enjoy the photos and be back soon

hamilton

post-304-0-73351000-1386965912_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-61995300-1386965934_thumb.jpg

Shaping up nice Hamilton....life can get in the way....especially when it comes to family.....gotta do what ya gotta do......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

You have a good excuse for the break! Your Blandford is looking great too.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Looking good hamilton, how did you manage to bend the rail around the top of the bulwark on the forecastle bow, especialy as it is aginst the grain?.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for the kind words all!

Collingwood - I didn't bend the wood. I bought a sheet of 1mm thick walnut, laid the hull upside down on it, traced the line of the bow onto it, rough cut it out into a curved shape, sanded the curved edge to match the bow more exactly, took a compass and marked a line 4.5mm in following the curve and then cut that out, being careful not to split the wood. I then sanded the inside down so it was 4mm thick all along and attached it....presto! I don't have photos of this process, unfortunately....

hamilton

Glad to hear all is going well.  And she's looking spectacular.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice work, Hamilton.  I'm happy to hear all is well with the little one and things are settling in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Hamilton......long time no see......... your build is really looking good now. I will soon be starting on Bellona again.......soon......been mad busy with one thing and another including starting to play my banjo again (badly). Anyway if I dont visit your build before Christmas have a good one and a greast new year.....i've already stocked up on the malt whisky. 

Hi hamilton,  if i dont catch you - happy holidays have a great yule and all the best with the family and the new little one.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks all for the compliments - and thanks Collingwood and Harlequin for the holiday wishes - back to you and all!!

Harlequin - it's good to hear from you! I hope to see some progress on the Bellona soon! Mine is still a very long way down the road - initially there was only one model between the Blandford and the Bellona, now there are four!! Anyway, I need to hone my skills a bit more before diving in - and I'll no doubt be stealing a lot of your ideas once I come to it!

In the meantime, some progress has been achieved on Blandford - essentially I've constructed and rigged the crossjack yard. It was quite tricky to rig - particularly the sling, which at such a small scale and in such a tight corner was difficult to achieve. But in any case, it is now on and looks not bad...you be the judge!

Happy holidays to all, once again!

hamilton

post-304-0-97651600-1387611008_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-44005100-1387611052_thumb.jpg

Hamilton,

Lovely work. I am continuing to keep a close eye on your mizzen mast since I have decided to make my ship lateen rigged and am in need of inspiration.

The Season's Greetings and a prosperous New Year to you and your family.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error.