HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Thank you for that hamilton,  i have been saving some diagrams and pictures of greyhound and her sisters, and one or two first obvious things i can see, firstly i noticed that the bulwak on the real ship steps down further back towards the mizen mast close to bulkhead no 10, and the mention of there being 11 gun ports on the real ship, i think the missing number 11 port is in the rear captains cabin, just as in many fighting vessels. 

C.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Collingwood:

You're right - there are definitely challenges in trying to realise an authentic Greyhound (or Blandford) out of this kit. The bulwark step is one issue that I had to fudge and that will remain a bit of a sore point with me. As for the gunports - Corel has chosen to make the foremost "bridle" port into a gunport, which results in the "missing" gunport aft that you notice. There really is no room on this kit for adding that aftmost port. I chose to represent the Blandford awkwardly as an "18-gun" ship, since putting cannons in the foremost port would have blocked the ladders to the forecastle - thus I figured them as "bridle ports" and of necessity had to drop the number of cannons.....I don't know how this could have been solved with this kit - it would have required a considerable elongation of the centre keel and the addition of another bulkhead piece......

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

What i will do is try to space the 11th port quite close to the side cabin window assembly, as this looks like how they have been laid out, like in the victory where nelson had one in his quarters that was lashed against the side when not in use, and when in action his best and most trusted gunnery men would fire from it.

It looks like there might just be enough room just after bulhead 12, possibly not quite centred between bulkheads as with the others, but a slight nudge towards bul 12 might not look to bad, even if not open or cut out it could be a dummy port just engraved with hinge assembly.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Heres a pic i found that shows the eleventh port in the cabin area...

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hamilton,

I've just seen your log now, because you've done the whole thing while I was on hiatus from my model!  Amazing.

You've done a fantastic job fixing and upgrading the kit weaknesses.   She looks great.

Cheers,

Ron   

Thanks Ron! Much appreciate - I've been admiring your work on the Oneida!

Hi Collingwood - perhaps this could work, but I think you might encounter problems since the Corel keel does not really correspond to the plans you've posted above - it is simply too short. You might get away with it with a different quarter gallery arrangement than the one depicted in the images you've posted - Goodwin depicts one with a single window that could accommodate a tenth gunport given Corel's design.

I'm curious about the second image - the one marked "Blandford, Lynx & Scarborough". It's clearly taken from Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford - one of the primary sources I've been using. But I'm curious about the cyrillic characters in the bottom left....is this an image you found online? Or a scanning of a hard copy plan sheet that you have?

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Sorry gents, no scans of full pages of copyrighted books. 'Fair use' would utilise a subsection to prove whatever point you are trying to make, as opposed to the full image.

Any full image would need to be accompanied by a 'reprinted by permission of ......' after having received permission to reprint.

Thanks for your forbearance.

Joss

Thanks Joss. 

hamilton

Thanks Ron! Much appreciate - I've been admiring your work on the Oneida!

Hi Collingwood - perhaps this could work, but I think you might encounter problems since the Corel keel does not really correspond to the plans you've posted above - it is simply too short. You might get away with it with a different quarter gallery arrangement than the one depicted in the images you've posted - Goodwin depicts one with a single window that could accommodate a tenth gunport given Corel's design.

I'm curious about the second image - the one marked "Blandford, Lynx & Scarborough". It's clearly taken from Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford - one of the primary sources I've been using. But I'm curious about the cyrillic characters in the bottom left....is this an image you found online? Or a scanning of a hard copy plan sheet that you have?

hamilton

Hi hamilton,  sorry for the delay internet probs,  that plan i showed of the three ships "Blandford, Lynx & Scarborough"  was from a google serch of HMS Blandford, i think possibly with a little bit of - modifying here modifying there, and possibly with abit of work around the rudder post/keel and rear quarters, the eleventh port might just fit in, even if quite close to the window, or perhaps moving each gun port a few mm  closer to the b/heads and loosing the difference within the gun deck length,  im happy to experiment with all this, as i dont mind doing abit of kit bashing/scratch building, if you saw my De-Ag Victory on here i was building the year before last,  you would see my efforts with different ideas.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Collingwod:

Thanks for clarifying

hamilton

Hi Collingwod:

Thanks for clarifying

hamilton

Thats ok,  i will keep a carefull eye on your build as it will help me no end with mine.

C.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well there's only been modest progress on Blandford lately - things are gearing up at work and there is no longer the time I used to have for modelling. I expect that I'll be slowing down considerably, between work, baby and upcoming holidays.....bits and pieces here and there I suspect....we'll see how things go.

In the meantime, here are a few pictures - since last post I've attached and rigged the fore topgallant mast, added rigging for the fore staysail & jibsail and tied a whole bunch of ratlines (still the fore mast ratlines to go!!). Hope you're all having fun out there

hamilton

post-304-0-31525200-1383892490_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-56905100-1383892515_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-61001400-1383892540_thumb.jpg

Hamilton, how your getting so much detail on a ship so small is a wonder to me, she's looking great.

Well done mate and keep it up, almost complete now. Super job.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Great progress there she is looking mighty fine and very realistic looking, i understand what you meen about finding the time, i was in a similar situation some time ago, but since my dissability and the wifes we have more time on our hands, mine for boat building and photography and the wife with her knitting, also its appropriate my build where we live - its a 17th century cottage that saw action during the english civil war in 1640 so building such a ship seems to fit in, i think the house approves aswell.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Bits and pieces, you say?  Or just more in-depth detailing?   :huh:   Super nice looking, Hamilton.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Hamilton, looking very nice, thanks for the pictures...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks all for the compliments - as always much appreciated!

Still mired in tying ratlines, which I hope to finish this evening (if I can finish up some work this afternoon). Then finally it'll be back to some more interesting work on the build - namely, constructing, outfitting and rigging the yards....then on to the final stages - sweep ports, sweeps, anchors, finishing the lanterns and the figurehead. Probably won't finish until after Christmas at this point, but that just means more time with this build, which has been as fun as it's been frustrating. Bye for now

hamilton

Well the ratlines are done - thankfully! This phase of ship modelling always feels like a weird stall...the repetitiveness of it, the endless clove hitches...I'm thankful it's done - now I know that it will feel like things are picking up again. Of course I probably won't have much time to work on Blandford in the coming weeks, but it's good to know that the standing rigging is now complete! Here's a photo. Enjoy and happy modelling

hamilton

post-304-0-84138000-1384153430_thumb.jpg

One word.... WOW!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hamilton you have made a fantastic job on the Ratlines, very very well done.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Absolutely top notch.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks all!

hamilton

Hi Ferit - I was wondering where you were - haven't seen any Berlin updates recently! Nice to hear from you. I'm not in a position to post such a photo now, but will do so as soon as I can - gotta run

hamilton

True enough Bob! I don't mind them too much, but after so many days it starts to feel like I'm in a deep rut.....in the past (for) now!

hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

I am feeling somewhat embarrassed being intensely in building Berlin... I am awaiting the inspiration come back again...

It's good to have a break now and then...

Your rigging skill is really outstanding...

By the way, what are you thinking about the ornaments -being set aside for a while- along the bulwarks forward & aft and on the transom, any other ideas? :huh:

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Ferit:

I agree about taking a break - I've been feeling less pressure to work on the Greyhound, especially as my schedule fills up with other things...

As for the decorative elements, I think I'm going to leave them off...at least for now. The bulwarks are now masked behind the shrouds, so I can't get at them even if I wanted - the transom I might still try something with and I will probably end up finishing the kit supplied figurehead and using that....we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for coming by! Look forward to more of your Berlin soon

hamilton