La Couronne by EJ_L - FINISHED - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

Very impressive EJ, you are doing a sweet job. It's a satisfying feeling knowing the end is near, keep the updates coming 

Bowsprit rigging is complete! Sprtisail yard was added as well as the braces and now an area of the ship is complete. I've moved on to rigging the braces on the foremast yards now. They are fairly simple to rig just a lot of blocks to place first which brings me to a possible annoyance; I may be running short on blocks. I'm going to get a count on how many I still need and see how many I actually have left but as the drawer with the blocks for this ship is looking rather bare, I fear I may be short. At this point though I will probably see if I can rob some off of another kit or I may get lucky and have some of the right size in the extras cabinet. Worse case I can always make a few as I don't think I am going to be missing that many, maybe 6 or so. Casualties of the build as several were split or otherwise damaged beyond use, some were ate by the carpet monster, I'm sure some were lost during the move and who knows what else. Not the worst thing to happen just annoying at this point. :rolleyes:

Enough of all that, enjoy the pictures and I will probably have some more soon!

29.jpg

30.jpg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

She looks marvellous EJ. Pour yourself one of your favourites, you have earned it!

Looking very good indeed.

I will also have a drink in your honor today and watch my Dodgers ha ha

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Rigging is complete!!! Wow what a relief to say those words!! :D  I still have a few things to do such as the anchors and stern lights plus some misc. details like the rope coils but the huge mountain that is rigging is over. Took 297 hours out of the 897 hours on the build to date. A couple things bug me but overall I am happy with it. wont be long now and she will be complete! Then on to the next project! 

More to come one as I put the finishing touches on her! Enjoy and thanks for looking in! 

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

She is a thing of beauty EJ. rigging looks spot on. If you have the time could you take a front on picture? Incredible work!!

Thanks Don!

I did take some pictures from the front and I'm surprised I did not upload them last night. I will post them when I get home tonight. When I'm 100% done I am hoping to be able to take her out on the deck or driveway to take some pictures using natural light. Trick will be finding a day when it is not windy but in Kansas, I'm not sure if those days exist. :P

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

wonderful job on the rigging EJ.......really looks sharp ;)    do the rigging plans show any bobstays?  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes!

I have not seen any indication there were bobstays on La Couronne. I have also not seen them on other similar ships of the era, Vasa, S.o.t.S.. They do show them on Soleil Royal though so I am thinking that sometime late in the first half of the 17th century this rigging was added to the bowsprit. Till then the gammoning appears to be the only ropes that actually held the bowsprit down. While this seems at first glance to be a common sense item to add, in reality this was still early on in warship development and the need for a bobstay probably had not been thought of yet. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

3 minutes ago, yancovitch said:

I was having the same problems last night. I could not respond on my computer but I could on my phone. I could add attachments which is how I got the pictures posted but then I had to log into my account on my phone and edit my response into the post. I'm on my work computer now and everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully it is just a glitch that will resolve itself soon.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

ej just caught up with your lol, it is hard to believe how much has changed in your build since Feb, wonderful work, sorry i have not been around more often

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin and welcome back! You showed up just in time to see the end so not all is lost. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Don, here are some pictures from the front. Let me know if there is something specific you want to see. It is no problem to take more pictures if I need to. :D

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Got one anchor in place tonight. I already had a lot of it ready to go already and sitting in the drawer so that helped make the process a bit faster. 

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks EJ, I appreciate that. She is fantastic!

pretty interesting about the bobstays....you would think that with the length of the spirit and boom and the given stress of the rigging,  there would at least be a pair or two terminated at the stem.

thanks for the info ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

It probably took a few of them snapping off before someone figured out that attaching it to the stem would be a good idea. The way things worked back then, it would not surprise me if a ship returned to port with their bowsprit tied off to the stem in a rudimentary bobstay only to have the master shipwright order them to remove it as it was not his design or even to receive a royal order to remove it as it was not approved by the crown. Good ideas can take a long time to penetrate a stubborn mindset.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

yea.......kinda like Newton with the apple.......who would have thought ;):D:D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

EJ,

Nice wrap on this build !!. To think that you built this entire beauty in the time it took me just to get sails ready.

As they say, Old folks just drive too slow--

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Tonight I got the stern lanterns and flag staff installed. With that, the ship is complete! I'm still going to install rope coils this weekend and touch up a couple things but it looks like by the end of the weekend this build may be 100% complete! 

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I have the exact same issue right now. Home computer doesn't allow me to post on this website but others work and I can post on here using other sources, phone work computer etc. Weird. 

Glad your able to talk to us again and thanks for stopping in!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

A tour de force!  Beautifully done E.J.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Very impressive.  And, excellent workmanship.

Congratulations.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Great build EJ, love those stern lanterns. Apparently the fix for the computer, is clearing your cache.