HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

Fantastic video Kevin 👍  I just mentioned to my wife that from now on I'm going to be sitting in front of the TV making tree nails.........she mentioned something about "over my dead body" but I think she really meant - no problem Mark you just carry on fella 😜

1 hour ago, No Idea said:

she mentioned something about "over my dead body" but I think she really meant - no problem Mark you just carry on fella 😜

You will check in with us occasionally, just to let us know everything is alright? 🤐 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Kevin, that is looking good. It is a beautiful model.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

The hull looks beautiful Kevin. On my current model I inserted the treenails dry into the holes with the stock in one hand and the flush nipper in the other. This makes quick work of inserting the treenails. After this I used a 50:50 white glue/water solution to paint over the holes. Once dry the hull was lightly sanded and that was it. I did not have a single treenail fall out using this method (which I also used on the deck). As you also use termite control and another finish that would additionally lock in the treenails.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Kevin

Just finished watching your treenail video, excellent video and thanks for all your video.  Your hull looks great and i look forward to watching you more.

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

An actual horseshoe clamp taken from the wreck of the HMS Janus. She sank in 1800 off Trinidad. This was given to me earlier this year by a commercial diver Robert Stauble who knew of my interest in out marine history. Notice how rough the casting is. Makes one wonder if it ws recessed or just bolted flat against the keel and the hull. Its 33 1/4“ wide, 22” high, the width of the cast is 3 1/2” and its 3/4” thick. The holes are 1 1/2” wide and there are 7 holes to take the bronze pins.

BB48738C-C5F2-4ADB-BD6B-AD31A20D6A06.jpeg

another OH CRAP moment we've all suffered from.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

21 minutes ago, AON said:

another OH CRAP moment we've all suffered from.

Add the red marks/bruises on the forehead from the facepalm.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good, Kevin. 

BTW, I watched your video on clamps earlier and learned a couple of things. Thanks!

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

A slitting saw blade on a table saw. Heat-softening the brass first and some wax while cutting will help. Mounting the brass on a sacrificial wood backing will also ease the job.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

5 hours ago, druxey said:

Mounting the brass on a sacrificial wood backing will also ease the job

Double sided tape works well for this. If you are using a slitting saw blade it's probably best to raise it higher than normal practice and use a slow feed rate.

To release the brass from the sacrificial wood without distortion can be a problem, I soaked the whole assembly for a day or so in white spirits to loosen the bond. Plywood may fall apart after this which is the best result. 

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Congratulations on completing video #100 in your Swan series! No one can complain that there is a lack of information available for building a Swan class model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752