HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

congratulations on the video milestone. 100  is a huge amount of work and a huge contribution to our community of model builders.

The demonstration of soldering has encouraged me to try again. Until now I have tried many times and failed every one.

By the way, what blade did you use to cut the brass?  

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Thank you

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Thank you! Your videos are certainly inspiring. As a new ship modeler I learn a great deal watching your techniques with this build. The ship is simply stunning.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Hi Kevin. I've been going through your videos starting at the beginning of your build. I just finished up #14. In that video you mentioned and asked why you were doing all the work of posting these videos and hoping they would be useful to future builders. I can attest that they are and will be helpful to me. I've ordered the four books on this project and like you plan to take it on once my skills have further evolved and improved. I'm finishing up an 18th century longboat now and will then move to the group project of the Winchelsea that Chuck Passaro is overseeing. After this, if I'm confident in my skills, I will begin this build. So please know these videos are of tremendous value to this craft and I really appreciate this roadmap you have and are providing for all of us.

Finally, I am in awe of all your wonderful tools! An amazing workshop that all of us "tool nuts" aspire to! Happy building.

Best,

Jim

Jim 

Thank you Jim, its good to know they are of value. I have to tell you that those 4 books have become my go to reference books for most things in model ship building. The hobby owes a debt of gratitude to David and Greg for producing such a detailed set of books. 
in terms of my work room its taken many years to get there. I have only a few tools still to get and most of them are upgrades to cheap tools i purchased early in the hobby that i am now updating to the gold standard. . I am now looking at a Foredom pendant motor to replace my Dremel. It still works but i want a better tool. Next year the Jim Byrnes thickness sander will join the shop to replace the Preac sander which is very under powered. Anything else will be minor stuff going forward.

keep well

kevin

Hey Kevin, look what arrived today! I won’t be starting until my skills improve but at least I can enjoy the anticipation of the build with these.

F32DBC3B-8850-4E73-B480-F434727C748C.jpeg

Jim 

You will enjoy just reading through these as many of the skills can be used on many different models.  I have not built a Swan Class but I've referenced these books extensively.  A great investment.

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Kevin, I have just found this build. I have only seen the 1st 5 videos so far but am thoroughly enjoying them. I too bought the set of books a few weeks ago. I have the plans for the Atalanta from the NMM. Cost a bit, but hey...
I am only working on the Model Shipways Dory right now to get up to speed and have a couple of kits to do before I tackle this sort of project. A few yrs I suspect, but I will have everything hopefully that I need.
I look forward to catching up the videos... :)

20220902_183138.jpg

20220918_180948.jpg

Regards

John

Current builds:  Model Shipways 3 Kit Combo for Beginners. 1/48th HMS Echo Cross Section by Admiralty models.
Pending Builds: Victory Models HMS Pegasus and HMS Vanguard

Hi John

glad you find my videos instructive. Your are going to find that these 4 books are some of the best reference books you will every buy. Feel free yo reach out anytime and start a post on your build. The members of the guild are very special and will help you get through the many challenges that are ahead of you.

Hold on a minute!

You live on a paradise island in the Caribbean and you need a get away cottage?  🤔

When are you going to post a schedule for your modeling pals to visit?  Obviously we just want to see you model in person 😎

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

When you retire your toys must pay their way or they get dumped. In Trinidad we live in a residential neighborhood just like you all, so we do have to get away and we were very lucky years ago to find a piece of paradise on the water. This week so far i had to have AC serviced, dryer painted and fixed, drive way cleaned and sealed, deck repaired, cleaned and sealed, leak in the roof fixed and soffit  repaired and painted.  New dishwasher installed. Order and install new shelves in the laundry room. Hummmmmmm. But it is a beautiful place 

5683D4E7-1AFC-495D-8789-F0A89014C0E4.jpeg

83F9E870-F1EA-4298-8102-67BBE757E508.jpeg

41BADCBF-7C03-486A-BEDF-9901874F038B.jpeg

890111C5-34B7-4605-AD2F-40077FD838F6.jpeg

D10D7710-2560-4A87-8388-318AE128DF9F.jpeg

591B370E-C11C-4AAD-80E3-F575BE2847BB.jpeg

01EFD00C-8345-4B6D-93D0-75B5C12DA4A7.jpeg

A5CC1B45-447A-4C0D-BF3D-41722F665A93.jpeg

1586FBF5-A2F0-430E-981E-B59A76162114.jpeg

9B37B392-8DE3-45A2-B2F8-80314594A49D.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Kevin Kenny said:

When you retire your toys must pay their way or they get dumped. In Trinidad we live in a residential neighborhood just like you all, so we do have to get away and we were very lucky years ago to find a piece of paradise on the water. This week so far i had to have AC serviced, dryer painted and fixed, drive way cleaned and sealed, deck repaired, cleaned and sealed, leak in the roof fixed and soffit  repaired and painted.  New dishwasher installed. Order and install new shelves in the laundry room. Hummmmmmm. But it is a beautiful place 

5683D4E7-1AFC-495D-8789-F0A89014C0E4.jpeg

83F9E870-F1EA-4298-8102-67BBE757E508.jpeg

41BADCBF-7C03-486A-BEDF-9901874F038B.jpeg

890111C5-34B7-4605-AD2F-40077FD838F6.jpeg

D10D7710-2560-4A87-8388-318AE128DF9F.jpeg

591B370E-C11C-4AAD-80E3-F575BE2847BB.jpeg

01EFD00C-8345-4B6D-93D0-75B5C12DA4A7.jpeg

A5CC1B45-447A-4C0D-BF3D-41722F665A93.jpeg

1586FBF5-A2F0-430E-981E-B59A76162114.jpeg

9B37B392-8DE3-45A2-B2F8-80314594A49D.jpeg

So it’s for rent?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

When I retired in 2015 my wife and I returned to our hometown in West Michigan to live after 30 years of corporate life involving a number of relocations. Sure don’t miss that! Now we enjoy the local sailboat races from our patio. No place like home.

063AEE46-AA42-4CF8-B37B-3057CD7D536D.jpeg

Edited by James G

Jim 

You are a lucky man that your wife goes sailing with you. I learned to sail at 10 years old. In my early teens  started racing on a Swan 36 on foredeck. Got married at 24 and was under the impression that my wife would come sailing with me. Hummmmmm. . That was a foolish thought. I raced for another 20 years on that boat eventually skippered a Peterson 34 until the owner got too old. We sold the boat about 5 years ago now i have a three man sail boat an SRMax. I have literally done a few thousand races and trips around the Caribbean. I ran a regatta in Tobago for 26 years, Angostura Yachting World regatta. In all that time my wife Susan who i love very much, perhaps made 5 trips with me and most of those were in BVI and in the Grenadines. You are a very lucky man James. 

Edited by Kevin Kenny
I posted in error. Had not finished.

Kevin, I'm afraid you misunderstood me. My wife, who is also a Susan, does not sail. We live on the water and enjoy watching the local yacht club sailboat races from our deck or shoreline. I grew up in West Michigan racing mainly E and C class scows. Sue has wanted to be a sailor and we have purchased a couple of boats to try to get her into it but alas she's found it a bit too stressful. Tried to teach her on a Sunfish when we first married in the early 80s and then two years ago purchased a Lightning in another attempt. The boat she seems to enjoy most now is our pontoon. I still have a Sunfish that I take out occasionally but my main sailing days were back in my youth. The beauty of model ship building is I can use my imagination and can harken back to those racing days that were so exciting when I was growing up. Cheers!

Jim 

Kevin, thank you for the recommendation on the 3D Swan Files that are available through Admiralty Models. I ordered them and Greg promptly made them available for me. I've been reviewing them this evening and they are amazing. They will be a tremendous supplement to the four book practicums when I begin to tackle this challenge. Really appreciate the tip! 

Best,

Jim

Jim 

The best place is where you feel at home, with the one you love. If it happens to be a cottage by the sea on a tropical island, that's a bonus. ( the green is mould, not envy ha! ha!)

• 4 weeks later...

I know you haven't heard from me for a while but I have my learning cap on. Ithought i knew every thing there was to learn about soldering and then i saw Giampiero‘s work and knew i knew nothing. So i have been attending the University of YouTube jewlers classes and struggling. Much of the equipment is not available here. Today i finally got a few pieces done but not happy with the result.

Just finding out how to clean bronze before soldering. Made my first pickle to clean the brass. Its hard to justify buying stuff you will seldom use. So it took boiled water from a kettle and added the sodium Bisulfate which was the only acid i could find locally. Its used to lower the PH in pools. Small Crockpot is not on the list of items to purchase.
Then there are the flux’s. I bought all sort of stuff available locally but they did not work. So i ordered a Borax cone set which should arrive some time next week. 
i promise when i figure this all out i will post another video. I tried to get Giampiero to do a video on his current build but language is the big problem and Google translate does not work well on YouTube. 

22DAFA81-F2BD-4D71-8C47-C9CA073CFCC3.jpeg

F701DF9D-7DC5-4929-A59F-BFD06D819DE0.jpeg

83FBB418-DA27-49D4-A393-EA6037810BBE.jpeg

D1CF9A40-BC22-4983-9C85-F0BDF676B59F.jpeg

750A0DD7-1E5C-4C64-B408-E9C98FCCBC13.jpeg

I also just got a notice that my Foredon stuff will not be shipped until next month. Good thing its a Christmas present from my wife Susan. Come to think about it I had better tell her about it. Of course i am so great full that she knew exactly what i needed. 

Oh, the Love/Hate characteristic of this hobby! I love the fact that it requires knowledge and learning in a variety of areas to create a beautiful build. However, sometimes I hate the fact that I need to learn and become competent at something before my project can move forward.

Jim 

To hold objects in place for silver soldering I use the steel pins sold by Euro-Tools https://www.eurotool.com/soldering-tools-and-supplies_c_320.html. In order for a silver soldered joint to be successful there must be contact between the two pieces. Once I switched to their medium silver solder paste (which has flux in it) my silver soldering success went from a very low percentage to almost 100%. Before that I had problems with the small solder chips flying off as soon as the torch hit them.pins.thumb.jpg.332753e5a3edd331ed85348e5faaff35.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg

I found them on amazon and ordered some ceramic as well. My daughter is not going to be so happy coming down for Christmas. My jeweler friend suggested that i can make up a mould using plaster of parris, plasticine and the best one yet, a ripe banana. I intend trying all to see which one works out the best, at lease the banana has some added benefit after i am finished. The problem with the plaster of paris is that i have to wait until it is completely dry. I was only able to use it once as the heat destroyed it on the first try.

Recently, I have been taking jewelry-making courses.  The sole purpose was to learn how to solder correctly.  I previously used the same paste as you do, Greg, having had the same problem with solder shifting out of position.  Now I use medium or hard silver sheet solder and flux almost exclusively.  I discovered that my biggest problem was lack of patience.  The metal need to be heated slowly and from a distance.  This allows the flux to dry, holding the solder chips in place.  At that point, "come in for the kill" and heat the piece just enough to allow the solder to flow.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

How does this differ from the boxed borax powder bought off the shelf at the grocery store in the laundry detergent aisle?

Other than the obvious pressed cone shape.

Maybe it has to do with the way you use it?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)