USS Essex CV-9 by CDW (Craig) - Trumpeter - 1:350 - PLASTIC

When I was a kid, about 11 or 12 years of age, entered my first model contest. Took 1st place with a model of a 1:24 scale 1941 Willys Coupe modeled after the Stone, Woods, and Cook, A-class gas dragster. Ended up winning several other competitions with that same model over a span of 2 years.

Then took a hiatus from modeling while serving my country in the Marine Corps.

After my service, got back into scale modeling and entered many regional IPMS contests, primarily to enjoy the work of other modelers, the comradery, and quite frankly always enjoyed competitive events.

Somewhere in the 1990's got away from scale modeling while my career placed many other demands whose time restraints did not leave space for the hobby of modeling.

Now that I am retired, have plenty of time to enjoy the hobby but am not so interested in competition any more. But I do want to attend the IPMS Nationals at least once before all is said and done. Maybe as a competitor, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if any of you use this product for a gloss acrylic clear cote, but it is fantastic and very economical. It has changed names a few times over many years but it is commonly known as "Future", it's old trade name.

It is applied with an airbrush, does not yellow over time (AFAIK), and dries crystal clear. I often dip clear plastic canopies and windscreens into it for a crystal clear finish that makes any slight scratches disappear like magic.

Anyway, I first apply this over my base painted item, after it dries apply my washes and shading, then last apply a flat clear cote to seal it all in.

8bWwQgq.jpg

I am thinking of building a plastic model of the USS Boxer LPH-4 (I am going to change it to the USS Valley Forge LPH-8) , so I am following your build closely. I have only build wooden ship models lately, so I will copy all your tricks and tips.

Your work is excellent.  

• 7 years later...