Zeeschouw by petervisser - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:22 - Small

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone. This really is a fun boat to build and I am enjoying it very much.

After the primer coats had cured, I decided to give the rubbing strakes a couple of coats of finish white. Humbrol paints are my preference and I have had good results with all my models with their enamel.

When the white had dried I applied the Tamaiya masking tape to mask the strakes. I had mixed results with this as I used short lengths of tape to mask. It might have been better to use a single length. Live and learn...

post-2494-0-52723800-1365388658_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it is going to take several coats to cover the white.

post-2494-0-95945900-1365388721_thumb.jpg

I was really excited to add some colour to the model at this stage.

post-2494-0-69154800-1365388783_thumb.jpg

With three colours making up the hull, it took a bit of planning and masking to finish the hull.

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

While adding coats of paint to the hull, I decided to make a custom stand for the model. Billing did supply one, but it was rather small. I was able to buy a small sheet of mahogany at my hobby store in town and I had some mahogony strips so I was off to the races.

post-2494-0-04822200-1365389518_thumb.jpg

This handy little device gave me the inside shapes of the cradle. I normally use the drawings to get the shape, but the bulkheads were not included in them.

post-2494-0-11039700-1365389651_thumb.jpg

The stand without varathane.

post-2494-0-47639900-1365389698_thumb.jpg

The finished stand with some felt to protect the hull.

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Nice colours and the stand looks great

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Thanks for looking in gents.

While coat after coat of paint go on the hull, I was side-tracked with getting the cap rails ready. Nothing finishes off a hull like a good cap rail!

I kept the design and construction simple. No scarph joints for me this time around. It is a skill I have yet to master and if anyone can point me in the right direction in that regard, I'd be thankful.

My method was to try and get the outside curve onf the gunwale transferred to a sheet of mahogany. For this I used a thin sheet of cardboard and held it to the gunwale so that I could trace the curve with a pencil. I then cut the cardboard along the pencil line and then laid that over the mahogany and did another trace. Too easy!

The pictures will show the process...

post-2494-0-43603000-1365551967_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the cardboard cut and conforming to the curve of the gunwale. I had already cut it and re-applied it so you can see the result better.

post-2494-0-36617100-1365552130_thumb.jpg

Now the cardboard is laid on the sheet of mahogony and the shape is traced onto the sheet.

post-2494-0-75493300-1365552206_thumb.jpg

I decided on a suitable width that would allow for a bit of sanding on both edges.

post-2494-0-64927200-1365552299_thumb.jpg

I cut the mahogany with an X-acto knife working from the end and then progressively towards the other end. This avoided awkward splitting of the sheet.

post-2494-0-74838900-1365552603_thumb.jpg

A little rough around the edges, but the sanding block will take care of that.

post-2494-0-48197700-1365552711_thumb.jpg

This is one of my favourite tools!

post-2494-0-67121600-1365552802_thumb.jpg

Now for the inside cut. Again work backwards with the X-acto knife, otherwise the sheet will likely split along the grain.

post-2494-0-60325000-1365552965_thumb.jpg

Now to sand the inside curve to even the width of the cap rail.

post-2494-0-87402900-1365553077_thumb.jpg

Here they are, ready to be glued onto the gunwale. These strips are for the mid-sections of the model. There are short pieces to go on the ends, which were prepared seperately.

I am now up to date with my build log of the zeeschouw. The posts will now become a little sparse as it is at home and I am at work, far away...

With summer coming the construction will slow right down I'm afraid as the "boss" has other ideas as to how I should spend my spare time. Damn bosses...

Anyway here are some more pic's.

post-2494-0-04715400-1365553879_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-11255800-1365553912_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-12512400-1365553947_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling!

Peter

Thanks Andy. I can't take credit though as I copied the colour scheme from the box.

Keith, those are storage lockers for the Heineken.

Peter

You are doing a fine job.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

I figured they were now, but were they originally live well's.

Kinda like the wells on the Lobster smack I'm planning. ICE COLD refreshments! :cheers:

No, this model of  schouw nearly never had a well, and if they had, it was located midships, were the living area is on this one.

On the original wooden shouw, there was just a wooden bench at the back, no well.

Nowadays, these boats are steel-hulled, and almost always motorized. The motor is in the back, just below the bench.

In other ways: it is most probably the engine bay. (BB just didn't like to put a propeller on the hull, but they retained the engine bay just in case ;) )

Jan

These

• 3 weeks later...

very nice, will make a display when finished

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 4 months later...

Nice build, quite different from some I've been watching but very nice.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 1 month later...

I am now up to date with my build log of the zeeschouw. The posts will now become a little sparse as it is at home and I am at work, far away...

With summer coming the construction will slow right down I'm afraid as the "boss" has other ideas as to how I should spend my spare time. Damn bosses...

Anyway here are some more pic's.

attachicon.gifDSCN4967.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4968.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN4970.JPG

Happy modelling!

Peter

Be glad you have a boss!! Mine quit, I spent too much time and money on toys! (And she lost her mind in 2006!) LOL

Great little boat! I built 3 Midwest kits as training. I want to do more from plans, when I get my Jim tools!

Edited by ajromano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter, Very nice looking boat your building Keep up the good work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After many months of idle tools and a neglected model, it's time again to get back to "work".

I have begun by prepping a number of itens that make up the deck fittings. For the most part an easy task because all the items are laser cut and simply need to be popped out of the sheet and sanded. I had to modify a couple of parts as they did not fit as advertised. A little scratch building was therefore required to keep me honest.

Here are the results so far. Tomorrow a few more parts to prep and then I can start painting!

I have dry fitted the sliding hatch and skylight.

post-2494-0-85472500-1389313202_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the sliding hatch and skylight.

post-2494-0-18748900-1389313286_thumb.jpg

And here a shot of all the parts so far ready for a few coats of paint.

post-2494-0-50967700-1389313330_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned...

Peter

Edited by petervisser

A busy week in the workshop. I have prepped, painted and installed all of the deck fittings. Not that there were that many...

This is proving to be a fun build and relatively quick. A nice change from a square rigger, that's for sure.

Here are some photos of the progress...

post-2494-0-81368000-1395931338_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-77294600-1395931375_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-82183700-1395931403_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petervisser

Good looking boat. I love the lines of any flat or round bottom boats.  Your built looks great.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 1 month later...

Well, a bit more progress was finally made. I am working on the rudder and have finished the lee boards. I am also working on the mast and other spars as well. A bit of light at the end of the tunnel all ready.

Here are some pics...

The rudder is assembled and I am now giving it a few coats of paint.

post-2494-0-62896200-1392767429_thumb.jpg

Here the lee boards are in place and rigged up.

post-2494-0-59225000-1392767515_thumb.jpg

I have dry fitted the main spars.

post-2494-0-51887200-1392767582_thumb.jpg

The gaff required a bit of bending in two different directions. A few dowels met their ends trying to get it right...

post-2494-0-24372300-1392767694_thumb.jpg

The kit provided some plaques for the name on the stern. I have stained them and will add some letra-set lettering I found in my cache of goodies to give my model a different name.

post-2494-0-02359600-1392767818_thumb.jpg

Tommorow I will stain the spars and paint some fittings in preparation to fixing the mast.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petervisser

Gorgeous, I love this boat.  Great colors and beautiful details.

Note: the Friese Tjalk from Billing looks exactly like the model the Authentic Shipmodels Amsterdam used to sell in the 80's.  I have that model.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

great looking ship Peter.........I've not seen one of these Billing's kit before.    I was following it  from the beginning.........glad to see your picking her back up.  :)   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really beautiful work on such an interesting vessel!  I just love Dutch ship & boats.

The colors you've chosen are perfect!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Thanks for the kind words guys. They are much appreciated.

Today I must go out and try to find some tiny drill bits. The hardware stores have 1/16" but that sems to be the smallest they sell. Where do you guys get your bits?

Peter

I love this Little boat of yours Peter,

was thinking whilst the beginning of your log parts if These template-like parts could be magnified and used for putting a real one on keel

Well done!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hello  Peter love the model, not only pretty but also perfect. In the pasr I have purchased  small sizes (61-80) from Midland tools in Nanaimo. I don't know if they still carry them. You might ask Don to check out Scotts Hobbies in Duncan. I know Cornwall Model Boats would have them.

Lets meet for coffee some time.

Kip

Marc,

Yes, I have the Billing Friese tjalk also! And I also have a kit of Lemster sailing barge that is produced by Mamoli. I am very fond of the Dutch sailing vessels and I saw lots during a trip to Holland to see family. We rented a small motor yacht and sailed the canals of Friesland. Many many vessels of all types to see and admire.

Popeye,

Unfortunately, Billing has decided not to market these kits outside of Europe. I suppose they think only people who are familiar with these types of boats would want to build them. That's unfortunate because these kits are ideal for beginners. They are easy to put together and don't take a great deal of time to finish. They also offer beginners a fun intro to the hobby and allow them to acquire some basic skills. I purchased my kits in Holland while on vacation. They make packing challenging!

Kip,

I managed to find them at Lee Valley! I am going to have to go back and look at what else is on offer. Lot of things to spend money on there...

Today I painted a bunch of fittings and stained the mast and spar. Pictures to follow soon.

Peter

Edited by petervisser