US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I glued a very very small wood block under my swivels on the side that sticks out and has the space under them. Tuck them back a little and no one can ever see that they are there.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

3 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I glued a very very small wood block under my swivels on the side that sticks out and has the space under them. Tuck them back a little and no one can ever see that they are there.

Jesse

Thanks Jesse. From the looks of it, I could have just left the waterways square and the human eye could not tell the difference

I'm am now installing the companionway and all the woodwork surrounding it. If you remember, I pre-built the companionway weeks ago while trying to figure out pintels and gudgeons. Then I will take up Jesse's suggestion for installing the Carronade swivels

installing companionway 001.JPG

Continuing building the deck works and shot racks. The instructions say to drill partial holes for that tiny tiny shot? I finally just drilled the semi-holes with a sharp #2 pencil. It worked just fine. These are the smallest cannon shot I've ever had to work with.

deck coaming ad shot rack 001.JPG

deck coaming ad shot rack 002.JPG

They may be the smallest cannons you have worked, but they are coming along beautifully.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Shot rack factory with my #2 pencil drill. A miracle  has happened ....I have not dropped one mini cannonball to be lost forever on the floor of my shipyard!

shot rack factory num 2 pencil 001.JPG

I built and installed the capstan over the hatch next to the companionway. I made it so it turns.

capstain 002.JPG

capstain 001.JPG

Rich are you using Minwax Golden Oak?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I'm building the first grate. My jig is a simple comb. The glue is a mixture of water and PVA. 3 or 4 to 1 mixture

grate jig and glue 001.JPG

grate jig and glue 002.JPG

Rough finished first grate. After the diluted glue dries I will trim it to size

grate rough finished 001.JPG

Hello Rich, when building the gratings keep in mind that the 'continuous bars' are pointed parallel to the length axis of the ship, the 'interrupted' ones go perpendicular to the length axis. The Syren plans are a bit misleading in this respect. Not that it makes a big difference for the final looks. But I redid all my gratings when I figured that out. Couldn't stand the thought that I had it wrong :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I like the comb jig to hold your grating pieces. They look great (or should I say grate).

Edited by usedtosail

Thanks Thomas, Tom and Alan. Several models ago I was completely driven crazy trying to build gratings when I hit on using a comb. It works perfectly. Half the comb has fine the other half larger spaced.

Rich - If I can take you back a bit. How did you do the bending of hull planks for the stern? As you know I have a planking board for the bow. but I am trying to work out a pattern for the stern. Suggestions?

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, fnkershner said:

Wow for a former Jar Head you seem to know quite a bit about Sailing! By the way how does a Marine survive 18 months at sea with a bunch of swabbies? Great work you are my primary guide. :)

Finish the transom like on my page 9. Then you have a target for the long planks like on page 13. To hold them while the glue dries takes some creativity. Clamps, rubber bands pins, etc

fnkershner

You can also look at my pages 7 and 8 to see I used pins, clamps, rubber bands etc to curve stern planks in place.

I've installed the doors on the companionway at the same angle shown in the plans. I pinned them as well as glued them.

companionway hatch doors 001.JPG

I'm trying to salvage the junky quarter badges that come with kit. I don't think I'll succeed. I'll try a little bit longer then go to plan "B". Exactly what plan "B" will be I don't know

quarter badges provided 002.JPG

quarter badges provided 001.JPG

Those things supplied in the kit are horrible. I doctored mine up and used them but every time I look at them I am embarrassed.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

3 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Those things supplied in the kit are horrible. I doctored mine up and used them but every time I look at them I am embarrassed.

Jesse

Yea, Jesse,

I'll try to design my own version but this is a lot of effort for just a small payback. This kit should have charged a little more and provided better quality stuff. All my other kits came with excellent extras that didn't require making my own stuff. The cleats are another example. 

Rich - Didn't you say the Argus did not have side badges? (yes I know I am too lazy to look thru your log). On my Syren I have decided to leave them off. They only detract from a very nice model. 

PS Thanks to you. I have ordered the book.

18 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich - Didn't you say the Argus did not have side badges? (yes I know I am too lazy to look thru your log). On my Syren I have decided to leave them off. They only detract from a very nice model. 

PS Thanks to you. I have ordered the book.

I was told The Argus did not have a figurehead on the bowsprit, as far as the side badges, The Argus probably had them since I have a picture of a sister Brig that show side badges. If I can't make nice ones, I will leave them off.

Rich

14 hours ago, Gleep93 said:

Amazing model Rich. I love that natural wood look. It makes the model look super realistic! I can't wait to see the final ship. 

Happy modeling, 

Zach

Thanks, Zach. I do all my models that way because I love the natural wood.

I found my original drawing of the Argus and it shows side badges. So now I shall try to create some nice ones and ditch the junk from this kit.

side badges in drawing Argus 001.JPG