US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I roughed out the doors and glued on the tongue and groove battens on each roof. The whole structure will be paneled with battens and trimmed. The doors will be finished as soon as I can figure out how to make the swing open and shut.

doors roughed ot paneling on roof 001.JPG

Just imagine this if they somehow kept the stern chasers and you are the First Lieutenant peacefully sitting in the head and one of the stern chasers is fired! Wooooooo-

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

That will help clear the Bowels :D

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Head paneling continued. I'm trying to match the only photo I have of the Argus aft structures using the materials I have at hand.

aft paneling continued 001.JPG

aft paneling continued 002.JPG

Rich,

Did Argus have stern chasers?

Looking good with the alternate build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Paneling finished. Now I will "pretty up" the doors and figure out hinges. Then I will finish trim the whole structure.

paneling finished 001.JPG

Rich, 

looking good. On your hinges there is a European company that makes brass and stainless tube that sleeves into one another. I forget the name at the moment, I will try to remember to look when I get home tonight if nobody else has come up with the name. It's very thin wall but with some careful fitting I think you could make some nice hinges. 

Edit: Albion alloys. 

Sam

Edited by src
Found the information I left out

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I rough finished the doors but I don't like the fit on the starboard door. I'm also working on hinges so the doors can open to see the one holers inside. Still a work in progress

rough doors 001.JPG

rough doors 002.JPG

Nice work, Rich.

If you have trouble making working hinges you could make simulated hinges and leave the door of one side open to show the one-holer.

Looks good. Curious to see how you make hinges this small.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Frank might have the right idea....one door open and one door closed. I've made movable items on previous models and nobody even tries them. A lot of work with no reward.

Here's the doors using Frank's solution of one door open and one door closed.

Franks solution 001.JPG

Franks solution 002.JPG

By the way, Chuck Passaro told me these structures were either crappers or flag lockers. Well, looking at the scope they were probably both. The front section is the "one holer ", but there's plenty of room for a flag locker behind the hole.

I glued the doors in )(one open and one closed). I put door knobs on them and trimmed the structure some more.

doors glued in 001.JPG

Rich, even though tiny small items can and are tricky to get there, they truly emphasize the detailing.

Some people (spectators) may overlook that part of work, I can tell from my own modeling I know what I have put into my ships.

This looks so good. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

15 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Very nice Rich. I wouldn't want my flags kept in a one holer if you get my drift. Sailors can be cretins, we had a phantom crapper on one of my ships, thought he was funny, not so much.

It seems everyone had a phantom crapper in the service.

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, even though tiny small items can and are tricky to get there, they truly emphasize the detailing.

Some people (spectators) may overlook that part of work, I can tell from my own modeling I know what I have put into my ships.

This looks so good. 

You're right, but I look at some of my models where I put floors where even I can't see, or pumps that pump but I can't get my fingers in to pump. The list goes on, so I tend not to do some of these little things as I age.

Back to following the plans. I'm pre-bending the waterways that I sanded to a rough triangular shape. I also pre-stained them.

back to the waterways 001.JPG

It sure looks like you've matched the Argus' stern section well.   It's been fun to watch the modifications you've been making.

I wonder how many times one of the cannons right outside the door was fired when the crew knew someone was on the crapper?  Probably depended upon the captain's sense of humor.

Alan 

Hola Rich:

I had not followed your log for some time but I see that you have advanced very well with your Syren- Argus. It is getting nice!!

Saludos, Karl

43 minutes ago, knightyo said:

It sure looks like you've matched the Argus' stern section well.   It's been fun to watch the modifications you've been making.

I wonder how many times one of the cannons right outside the door was fired when the crew knew someone was on the crapper?  Probably depended upon the captain's sense of humor.

Alan 

I doubt when they beat to quarters there would be anyone on the head. That would give new meaning to colon blow!