HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Main mast fife rail installed.

I hate to complain, but the wood that comes with this kit is terrible. It splits, cracks, and just plain difficult to work with. I have substituted my own wood in many instances. This fife rail is an example.

fife rail on deck 001.JPG

22 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

Tapering the bowsprit with my home made lathe

Ha that is amazing! I imagine for work of this scale, you wouldn't always need an actual lathe. Just something to spin it for a few quick cuts? I'll have to remember this one for later.

RIch,

I am always in awe of the builders who can do that with their drills! I just make uneven tooth picks when I try that.

Well done,

Sam

Flying jib boom installed. I added a rear support since I didn't think the partially drilled hole at the base would be enough to handle all the stresses and strains of rigging

installed flying jib boom 001.JPG

I had to give up making the Dolphin Striker according to the plans. The wood provided and the desighn made it just too fragile. So, I made one out of some brass stock I had laying around. Now a bomb won't break it. It's pinned and glued in place. Now I just have to fancy it up.

dolphin striker 001.JPG

new pics 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I'm starting to build the ship's binnacle. Again, Model Shipaways provided very fragile parts. The back piece split when I tried to clean it up. I will build it with the provided parts and if I don't like it a'll scratch build one

binnacle 001.JPG

1 hour ago, HIPEXEC said:

I'm starting to build the ship's binnacle. Again, Model Shipaways provided very fragile parts.

Didn't they put out a second version with better parts? Or was that just the Essex?

5 hours ago, s4usea said:

Didn't they put out a second version with better parts? Or was that just the Essex?

I don't know, but this kit has sub standard wood. It makes you get very creative

I staged the binnacle parts, broken and all, and added a base to the cabinet since I have no idea how it would stay together without it. I'm adding a much more sturdy top piece. I still think I have to add more structure to it to make it work. We'll see

staging binnacle 001.JPG