US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I've built the bowsprit bit ( inboard support for the base of the bowsprit.) Now I have to clean it up, stain it, then pin and glue it to the deck

boesprit bit 001.JPG

I glued the bowsprit cap on since I finally got the angle right. The bowsprit is just dry fitted untill I build the whole thing up.

bowsprit cap glued on 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

22 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

Tapering the bowsprit with my home made lathe

Ha that is amazing! I imagine for work of this scale, you wouldn't always need an actual lathe. Just something to spin it for a few quick cuts? I'll have to remember this one for later.

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Current: Amati Viking Drakkar

I've glued the jib boom to the bowsprit. The bowsprit still remains dry fitted

jib boom glued 001.JPG

I'm continuing to detail the bowsprit. I'm making some modifications since I am building "The Argus" not "Syren"

bowsprit more details 001.JPG

Flying jib boom installed. I added a rear support since I didn't think the partially drilled hole at the base would be enough to handle all the stresses and strains of rigging

installed flying jib boom 001.JPG

I'm fabricating the bow splash guard. Since I changed a lot on the hull, I had to make a splash guard from scratch since the pre-cut pieces didn't work anymore

making the bow splash guard 001.JPG

I've pinned and glued the bowsprit to the hull. I'll add the Dolphin Striker later. The Splash guard isn't finished yet but I dry placed it in position for the photo

bowsprit glued 001.JPG

I've glued the Splash Guard in position. Once set, I shall stain it to match the ship

splash guard glued 003.JPG

13 hours ago, Mahuna said:

Great progress, Rich.  I'm really happy that you're back in your shipyard.

Thanks Frank. It feels good to be back

I had to give up making the Dolphin Striker according to the plans. The wood provided and the desighn made it just too fragile. So, I made one out of some brass stock I had laying around. Now a bomb won't break it. It's pinned and glued in place. Now I just have to fancy it up.

dolphin striker 001.JPG

new pics 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I made and installed the Jack Staff. I'll pretty the whole Jack Staff and Dophin Striker area up when the glue dries

jack staff 002.JPG

I made and installed the inboard boarding ladders. I used leftovers from other kits since this kit made you make them from scratch

inboard ladders 003.JPG

I'm starting to build the ship's binnacle. Again, Model Shipaways provided very fragile parts. The back piece split when I tried to clean it up. I will build it with the provided parts and if I don't like it a'll scratch build one

binnacle 001.JPG

5 hours ago, s4usea said:

Didn't they put out a second version with better parts? Or was that just the Essex?

I don't know, but this kit has sub standard wood. It makes you get very creative

I staged the binnacle parts, broken and all, and added a base to the cabinet since I have no idea how it would stay together without it. I'm adding a much more sturdy top piece. I still think I have to add more structure to it to make it work. We'll see

staging binnacle 001.JPG

Binnacle glued together. I had to add many pieces from the plan to get it to hold together. Now I have to clean it up and stain it to make it passable.  

binnacle done 001.JPG

Binnacle stained. My fingers can't build anything smaller than this! 

head on 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Binnacle is now glued in place with a "compass" installed. I made the compass out of an old kit's cannon wheel painted black with a silver face

compass 001.JPG

1 hour ago, src said:

That binnacle is quite the little project Rich. Looks good there.

Sam

Sam

It's more like a tiny tiny project. That was my limit for tiny woodworking