HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

1 hour ago, Sjors said:

You are going fast Rich.

But a great job !

Sjors

Hello Sjors! Say hello to Anja. Judy sends her regards.

9 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

The fighting top rims splintered while drilling the holes for the deadeyes. I will now rebuild the damaged rims. 

Bummer, Rich.  Try starting the holes with a very small drill and work your way up to the final size.

Fighting tops repaired and new holes drilled with no trouble. I used wood from my stash that is very good quality. I noticed on Jesse Lee's Syren he doubled up the trim where the rails go. I'm going to double mine up also.

repaired 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Sometimes it’s hard to redo something you have put so much work into but it’s always worth it in the end. Your tops are looking really nice.

Here we go again! The instructions say to drill the small rigging holes in the pre-cut top cross trees before removing them from the laser-cut sheet. Guess what? I gently took the smallest drill bit I had that would make a tiny hole for the rigging...and the cross tree split after two turns (gently)! I'll figure out how the rig them another way.

split 001.JPG

For drilling a small hole in a small piece like that, you are probably much better off with a high speed drill than hand drilling it.

I'd use a very sharp bit in a dremel tool turning at high speed and it would probably drill through fairly clean as long as you used very light pressure.

Turning it very slowly lets the bit grab the wood and split it instead of just shaving off a tiny bit with each rotation.

I'm way too far away for a trip just for this, but if you do want to drive out here you are welcome to do it on my mill.

25 minutes ago, GuntherMT said:

For drilling a small hole in a small piece like that, you are probably much better off with a high speed drill than hand drilling it.

I'd use a very sharp bit in a dremel tool turning at high speed and it would probably drill through fairly clean as long as you used very light pressure.

Turning it very slowly lets the bit grab the wood and split it instead of just shaving off a tiny bit with each rotation.

I'm way too far away for a trip just for this, but if you do want to drive out here you are welcome to do it on my mill.

Thanksgiving

ill try my dremel

rich

I give up with this junk wood. I drilled four beautiful holes only to have them crumble after all the drilling was done. I made my own cross trees on my Connie by bending some good wood and drilling the pieces with no trouble at all. So much for the  laser cut junk wood. All they had to do was pop some holes with the laser and that probably would have worked.

i give up 001.JPG

i give up 004.JPG

Wow, you are really moving along Rich. Most of the wood supplied with this kit is basically no good (as you have already seen). It just teaches us how to fabricate the parts ourselves and increases our skills!

Jesse