HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Posted (edited)

Right or wrong this is how I rig. First, I made the heart fast to the stay off the ship. Next, I cut a length of the stay line a bit longer than needed. Then I made a "needle" with crazy glue on the tip of the rigging stay. I cut the hardened tip to a sharp point and that made threading the line through the very narrow spaces in the top with ease, 

I then made a jig from a paper clip to space the heart in just the right position and started to wind the cord between the two hearts.

my rigging technique 001.JPG

my rigging technique 002.JPG

my rigging technique 003.JPG

my rigging technique 004.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Rich, looks there is not much left of the rigging of Argus. Great job you have there and also great help for building Syren.
Will be helpful for my build.

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, looks there is not much left of the rigging of Argus. Great job you have there and also great help for building Syren.
Will be helpful for my build.

There's a tremendous amount of rigging remaining.

Rich, 
What you are doing looks so simple.
How long time does one stay take to make and put in place?

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, 

It comes with practice. This is not my first model.

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, 

Installing one simple stay will takes several hours since I have to wait while the glue dries at one end then do the other end. then Wait until that glue dries, then trim the excess rigging. 

I'm starting to plan to fabricate deadeyes. I discovered the holes in my "new" deadeyes are so small I can't get a decent size line through them without drilling them out. Next, I realized that the new deadeyes have no depth. They are half the thickness of some old deadeyes I have. I'm going to have to purchase different deadeyes since I can't work with theses. Oh well?

deadeyes old vs new 001.JPG

deadeyes old vs new 002.JPG

Rich - those deadeyes are a kit.  Go to the website and find the instructions to assemble them, there are three pieces to each deadeye and when complete they will look great but they do require a little bit of assembly and finish work.

You should not be removing the individual bits from the parts sheet until three sheets are glued together.

Rich, once you download the instructions Gunther referenced you’ll see how easy they are to assemble. Each sheet of 21 parts makes 7 deadeyes. 

I found that it is possible to reverse a face and get the relief slots reversed.

A dot of wood glue is all you need. I did find I had to clean glue out from the holes before I could run my lanyards. A reamer from micro mark worked wonders without splitting the deadeye. 

Sam

I rig my shrouds differently than most. I make jigs and pre-make the deadeyes. I use a bent paperclip bent to size and use a dab of CA glue to make a needle point of the rigging cord. I make a small knot at the end and thread it . Then I paint the back with PVA glue to hold it all in shape. I then install the chainplates with the deadeyes. When that's done I rig the shroud.

deadeye jig 001.JPG

deadeye jig 002.JPG

Thats a novel way of doing it Rich. I see you knotted one end but how do you finish off the running end of the lanyard?

Sam

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, src said:

Thats a novel way of doing it Rich. I see you knotted one end but how do you finish off the running end of the lanyard?

Sam

I just give it a little dab of PVA. It's not very visable so I can't see going through great lengths to make it realistic.

Edited by HIPEXEC