Hr. Ms. Java 1925 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Cross Roads - 1:350 - PLASTIC - Light Cruiser of Royal Netherlands Navy as she was in 1942

Not only is there a lot of puctures, also some films, almost all available though NIMH.

Here is a film of (amongst others) hrms Java in Indonesia.

Java at full speed is at 8:30 in this video. She could indeed churn up the waves...

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/memorix/93ea8f6e-5eba-11e1-88e0-deb8a456e588

and this one shows how the plane was lowered into the sea from java's deck: 

https://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuws/2012/02/27/unieke-film-van-hr-ms-java-boven-water-video

And this one is notJava, but shows quite a lot of the Dutch subs (mainly o20, but the explanation says that O19 is also filmed and shown.

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/beeldbank/indeling/detail/start/7?q_searchfield=Hrms&f_objecttype[0]=film

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thanks for the tip Ken, much appreciated. Model railroader eh. Love trains, the old fashioned ones, steam. Hey, I'm a certificated steam engine mechanic and boiler maker with everything that's associated with it. Never worked it though, switched to aircraft.  Yeah, I'm familiar with that mold release stuff and cleaning it off first is a must.  I used to own and operate an aircraft repair business in New Jersey way back when and we did a lot of airplane painting. Many parts were fiberglass molded parts and resin. I put all these fiddly little parts for the model in a bowl with dish washing soap, soft tooth brush scrub where possible, rinsed them and air dry. As long as nobody touches them after they are painted we are good to. This'll be a static model so no worry.

Hey Jan, thanks for the videos. Number one I didn't have, great action. Now we can see how labor intensive these 15 cm cannons are. I'll transfer them to my "Java" file.  Here is a pick of the "de Ruyter" in case you don't have that one. Really shows her very nicely, love it.

2158_050997_de-ruyter-copy.thumb.jpg.18972584399df59f0d40a98caeac575d.jpg

Cheers,  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello everyone,

Well, let's see, we are at Day Seven, November 20, 2017.

The primer is cured overnight and seems to adhere quite well to the resin hull. Time to put the red paint on the bottom part. I masked the top half just above the glue line. No real need to to assure the masking tape is leak proof but old habits don't die. I did rub the paint edge good to give a neat line. This will also be a good test for the primer adhesion when pulling the masking take off. Ken's admonition is great information for those who are not familiar with painting. Metal parts too have their particular prepping needs.

Okay, the hull is masked and I wiped it down again with a damp cloth with an enamel reducer to make sure no greasy fingerprints are on it. Took it outside and put it on Gwen's little steel table to paint. I used Testor's spray enamel "Fire Engine" red. Why even paint that lower part red if it's going to be mostly invisible? Well, in case I change my mind and finish the model on pedestals instead of a diorama. But no, I needed it for the high speed diorama when parts of the bottom hull are visible.

After the paint had dried I removed the masking tape and to my relief no red or primer came off with it. Lucked out again ;)

While the paint was drying I painted the inside of both funnels with flat black. Done in a jiffy so I decided to part the three anchors from their mold strip to paint them as well. But - - as I held one of the anchors in my tweezers I heard the dreaded "tweng" sound and it went flying some here in my studio. Spend quite some time searching for it but had to give up, too much junk in my room.

So, okay, "Java" will be missing an anchor, most likely the stern one.  But wait - - - Pieter had an idea, why not make one from metal. At this point it was getting late and had to punch out, no overtime allowed ;)

At this date I was still without my iMac desktop computer but used Gwen's notebook to log on to MSW every so often to keep abreast with what's going on.  Okay, here are the few pics of my painting job.

20171119_155324.thumb.jpg.32e7b986179cfb6a6dbe32ac761a26c5.jpg

Hull is masked.

20171120_112048.thumb.jpg.efcbaacc642a7d327515fa69a7ca6c6b.jpg

Red paint applied, two coats.

20171120_142820.thumb.jpg.af60c9024f3922b40e2524dce2897cb7.jpg

Masking tape and paper removed. Looking good.

20171120_142922.thumb.jpg.cdc94efe90c9099702365114aecfd021.jpg

Ship on an even keel. Looks nice already and fast. Sleek little bugger.

5a7cdc9c346a3_20171120_170828(1).thumb.jpg.401bffe3f07bfa13a4a1a6ad085304f9.jpg

Temporarely put the two forward parts of the superstructure together.

5a7cdcac0642f_20171120_170854(1).thumb.jpg.0c715b0c9d95bcbf46aef23c50a0f042.jpg

This is the aft part, that'll have the real funnel attached to it and the vent louvers. These two parts are sitting on a folded paper towel, now you can see how small they are.

Well, that's all for this day in the build. Next post will be the fabrication of the anchor.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

catching up with your project Piet........your making good progress so far  :)   love the time line your going by,  and the history so far is very interesting.  for very small parts, I tend to stick them on tape to paint.   lost too many parts in my day  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Piet,

Thanks for the pic. Didn't know that one. I love the lines of these Dutch cruisers.  (actually, I like the lines of the Sumatra-class better. ONe of my favorite pic is the one of Java in Sydney: taken from a low point of view, alongside the hull. Really shows her lines.)

I never realized that the 'scerw-protection' could be turned upward: I thought it was a fixed construction.

Jan

Thanks Denis for your kind words and visiting my log. Sorry to say there is not much excitement in this build, yet.

Glad you like the photo of the Ruyter. Yes, the lines are good but the shape of the third ship to be build, the Celebus, are even better. Sorry that was not laid down, cancelled.  For the time they were state of the art and their German origin is visible.  No, I was not aware of the prop guards being foldable.  I did see on one of the videos that the stern deck railing is foldable though.

For those wondering what Jan is talking about with "Java" in Sydney Harbor, here is a photo of her. The bridge over Sydney Harbor should date it. "Java" is shown way before her 1937 upgrade.

5a7fb1ec03eb6_JavainSydneyharbornotedatebridgestillunderconstructioncopy.thumb.jpg.e00bd22a7ea69b35e72f9bdf7a7a0ea2.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

This post will reflect work done on days 8 and nine, November 21 and 22, 2017.

Day 8 - no work done due to many things needed around the house. I planned on at least to make a start with fashioning an anchor for the one that got away but got only as far as selecting a brass rod. So, I figured the next day I could make an effort.

Yes indeed, first thing in the morning of the 22d of November I was able to go into my garage work shop and give it a go.

The brass rod I laid out yesterday was 0.5 mm and I figured that it would suffice for a 1:350 scale anchor. I flattened first one end, then bend it to form a U and flattened the opposing side and cut it off.  The flattened parts did not really give much material to make the flukes but went ahead anyway. After I had something like what looked like flukes I soldered a piece of 0.5 mm rod to it for the stock. Dummy me, I forgot to bring the kit anchor with me and comparing the two mine was way too small. Bummer.

Hmmm, now what. I found a square brass rod of 0.8 mm. This may do the trick.  I proceeded the same way as before with the 0.5 mm rod. I used a steel punch to hammer the end nice and flat with a lot of material for the flukes. Bend it around, matching the kit anchor and did the same with the opposite side. Then cut the crudely fashioned part into what looks like an anchor, off of the rod. Filed flukes to it and shaped it to match it with the kit anchor as best as I could. Holding this tiny piece between my left hand fingers was a challenge.  Soldered a piece of 0.5 mm rod to the center for the stock, dressed it some more and painted it flat black. Now I was careful matching it with the kit anchor.

Not too bad, not good but okay for the stern.  All this took about 2 1/2 hours of my time.

Below are the pics of my efforts.

20171122_111748.thumb.jpg.e99117fe1bfe89566d33c3b6c1661560.jpg

First I tried wacking it with a hammer to one of my bucking bars but that proved difficult in aiming. I resorted to using a half inch diameter punch with better results.

20171122_111418.thumb.jpg.095f748512b5a30f9bab90ccd40ccdbd.jpg

Here I show that the bend matches the kit anchor. I added the #11 blade for size comparison.

20171122_112348.thumb.jpg.fc8c3ce3a36fb6bc46d5db7831892b0b.jpg

Here we see both sides flattened enough to fashion the flukes. Ready to be cut off.

20171122_121024.thumb.jpg.2cb2eb99021d968c7dd8b79913df58e7.jpg

Here I have placed the 0.5 mm brass rod to where it is to to be soldered. After the soldering is done I'll dress it down some more.

20171122_130423.thumb.jpg.7d5a381169693daf49d54765acb33a8c.jpg

Here we see my scratch build anchor completed and next to the kit anchor, the one with the eyelet on the end. No, I was not planning to add that too because I am sticking that end into the hole on the hull.

20171120_162159.thumb.jpg.842d5ac7c304fb2b0e5bec411bdffa0a.jpg

This is my first attempt that turned out too small, good practice piece. :huh:

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks to all who clicked the like button.

This is Day Ten, November 23, 2017.  Thanksgiving in the USA.

I decided to tackle the two motor launches and the two sloops supplied in the kit. As you can see on the pics below, they are rather small as is everything on this model. I dreaded to remove the PE from the sheet because of its size. The steering wheels for the motor launch are 1.8 mm in diameter!  I had to do some filing on the PE seats for the sloops to make them fit, not much but did not want to run the chance of them buckling. Then the oars, there are 8 per sloop and all individual, which caused some trouble cementing them to the seats. I guess I could have lashed them with some silk threat but that thought came too late.

They are ready for paint after I have cleaned them thoroughly.

Okay, this is all for today, I have to get my but into the kitchen and help Gwen with cooking our simple Thanksgiving dinner. Seasoned turkey breast, pan sauteed in a white wine sauce with mushrooms, rice, asparagus, cauliflower and carrots.  We'll have a glass of that white wine to go with it.

20171123_173253.thumb.jpg.13d970477e8a1232d3b7ded7f632d8d6.jpg

I managed to cement those tiny steering wheels in place without a hitch. The rudders were no problem for a change. They'll be painted in the medium grey and the seats in wood color.

20171123_173958.thumb.jpg.48582284642df14afb83d62d639a632b.jpg

I placed the #11 blade next the sloops to indicate their small size. The motor launches are even smaller. The seats and oars will be painted in wood color and the boats in te light grey.

Again, not much of excitement but it's a pleasure seeing progress, even if it's slow.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Lovely work, Piet.  As we know.. any progress is good progress and with small fiddly bits, even more so.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all who selected the like button, much appreciated.

Yes, John, they could very well have been painted white and I can still do it, they are accessible still. Don't forget that these posts are all about work done a few months ago. Thanks for dropping in.

Hi Jan, I don't have the lines for the "Celebes" but a comparison picture of her with "Java" on color. As you can see on the below picture, "Celebes" was supposed to have them im enclosed twin turrets and no guns on the side. For the rest she had the same lines.

Hello mark, thanks for visiting and yes, a little added work is getting her closer to being finished. I hope I can do a believable sea for the diorama and the gun smoke.

Yesterday I showed the semi completed sloops and motor launches, not the finished product. So I took two pics this morning as they now sit on the model.

5a82563d2ac43_CelebesandJavacopy.thumb.png.88835f3c873e3ea61eba49270f97bf71.png

20180212_114449.thumb.jpg.7753a290618ad6a3143ca94505411782.jpg

20180212_114402.thumb.jpg.caafd930a9a812976fbe985710d7541f.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone and thanks to those who visited and clicked the like button, much appreciated.

In this post I'll be combining Days 11, 12 and 13, which brings us to November 26, 2018. I'll write my notes as I have recorded them for the noted dates.

Still no word from the IT guy who is fixing my iMac. That hard drive was really a mess he said. So we continue using Gwen's laptop to stay abreast with what's going on on MSW.

On day 11, 11/24/2017, I separated the PE parts for the aft funnel. The most difficult were the bands around the funnel and the searchlight platform braces. The funnel bands are smaller then 0.05 mm.  In order to form the railing around this small platform I figured making a wooden form. It seemed to me almost impossible forming the railing without some guide.

After reshaping the bands I managed to cement the bands around the funnel. Removing them from the PE sheet they do tend to lose their pure form and need to be reworked. After the cement was cured I removed most of the excess but still not a pretty sight, from close-up. Once it's painted it should not be too noticeable.

I'll wait attaching the smoke deflectors to the top of the funnels till after they are cemented to the vent housings. Too much handling in the meantime.

I also cemented the little platforms with railing on each side of the rear funnel vent housing.

On Day 12, 11/25, 2017, I cemented the searchlight platform to the funnel making sure it was positioned at the right height to allow enough space for the access ladder.  I also cemented the ladder with its platform to the forward side of the aft funnel and the oval ring on top of the funnel. Removed more excess cement from the funnel. Not much work this day, too many other chores around the house.

On Day 13, 11/26/2017, I made the search light platform railing form - after a few gardening chores. Hey, I live in Florida and November is still warm enough to walk in shorts, besides I have to get the yard ready for winter.

After I had the railing form made I delicately formed the railing around it. It seemed to work okay but the material is only 0.05 mm. Next I cemented the railing to the platform   I tacked the center first and as soon as the cement was hard I worked my way around the platform. When this was done I cemented a small ladder from the base to the platform.

Next was cementing the platform braces to the underside. Removing the excess cement was done with a modified small broken drill bit. It will not be visible anyhow because it's on the bottom of the platform but I like to keep it a little neat, as much as I can anyhow.

Well, that's all for now. A few photos below to show what I have been talking about.

5a837628d2d4c_20180213_105408(2).thumb.jpg.8686bb7b339f4c2898392dca3a6a43c8.jpg

Parts of PE for the funnel. #30 are the funnel bands and #25 is the smoke deflector. The #11 blade gives you an idea of the sizes I had to deal with. In removing the rings from the PE sheet caused these rings to deform quite a bit.

20171124_213438.thumb.jpg.11b72390d03b4a43cbd739aa6acba69a.jpg

Bands cemented to the funnel shown before dressing the excess cement from the funnel.

20171125_233958.thumb.jpg.1e156d812bd2a1b5eb26698bad5c4bbc.jpg

Funnel mostly cleaned from excess cement and the forward ladder with platform cemented to the funnel. There is a small railing cemented to it as well. The ladder is only tacked to the bands and will be straightened out.

20171125_234150_001.thumb.jpg.da8dc504a8cc56871b72c6edb224c52a.jpg

Funnel is temporarily placed to the vent housing. I have also cemented the two side platforms to the vent housing. There are also braces cemented to the underside of these platforms. Don't ask me how I managed to get them glued on.

20171126_123319.thumb.jpg.202fe05c92a2e3620fd74329ebe10981.jpg

This is the railing form I made.

20171126_132422.thumb.jpg.b0af73a72568e0ec19855dad3db2aa18.jpg

This shows the railing nicely formed.

20171126_155812.thumb.jpg.9395cff579c46fa1d212cff8178d8353.jpg

These are the support braces for the searchlight platform. Again, the #11 blade for size comparison.

20171126_174831.thumb.jpg.f43d7e6ab9664ca26ed88331a91a6b8e.jpg

The support braces in process of being cemented to the platform. To remove excess cement I took the shank of a small broken drill bit and ground a triangular point to it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yeah John, fiddly is not even the right word for them, they were difficult picking up from the table. I had to wet my left hand index finger to pick them up and then the tweezers in the right hand. Had to be sure to pick them up in the right orientation. 

Well Jan, before I got them in the tweezers I dabbed a little CA on the brass part, wiped most off, then picked the part up and trying to steady my hand, placed it where I were I wanted it, one at a time. I did use a 3X reading glasses and the optivisor. 

I also learned to use the finest dentist's bur for removing excess CA, but only from metal parts though. There is almost no getting away from too much CA at this scale and the thin stuff don't work for me. However, after the parts are painted it mostly disappears from sight.

My thanks also to all who clicked the like button.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

This post is for Day 14, 2017.  Yes, it's still past history but such is life.

I had a late start today because of chores and trouble shoot my little Chevy pickup truck. I needed to run a few errands and she wouldn't start, The solenoid was chattering but didn't engage the clutch to the tarter motor. Jumped the truck from Gwen's Buick and she fired right up. Clear indication I needed a new battery, ouch. Yeah, they aint cheap. Long story short, bought the battery, installed it and now I can use my truck.

I finished cementing the railing to the searchlight platform and then the two searchlights. Looking quite convincing.

This completes the work on the aft funnel, except for the smoke deflector on top that I'll cement on till I can cement the funnel to the vent housing.  I'll wait with that till the vent housing is cemented to the ship.

Next I directed my attention to the twin Bofors AA gun deck and fire control center. I decided to cement the distance finder on the longitudinal axis because I intend having the ship fire her guns more or less in a broadside.

Removed all the necessary PE for this section per the installation instructions. Cemented the two "houses" to the gun deck part. Cementing the PE parts was fun, at least they were a little larger and things went rather fast. This time I formed the railing as I went around the PE platform, that worked okay. I started at the ladder position and tacked the railing in spots as I went around. The handhold of one of the ladders had to be bend up and the rungs bend to simulate steps, Tweezers kinda work.

I managed to cement all the PE parts as indicated on the instruction sheet.

Actually I did manage to do a lot of work today, I'm proud of me ;)

20171127_162116.thumb.jpg.7f45ecdef65787753123391939c8297d.jpg

The completed aft funnel

20180214_212000.thumb.jpg.412e59ae7dd9da0783dfd3bf02734300.jpg

Part of the instructions drawing for the AA gun deck.

5a84f2cfa40b2_20171120_213314(1).thumb.jpg.622b8208449bc192a393aa3a408b20c7.jpg

Ship's frame 43 location for the AA gun deck.

5a84f2d76ffde_20171120_213205(1).thumb.jpg.df338af81e81ff4e505f88bfa0240a91.jpg

Top view of the AA gun deck, from the scratch build drawings I have.20171127_185338.thumb.jpg.30a9ca2fa1ac26ed252bd42370a23278.jpg

The two "houses" cemented on with the range finder. Looking forward.

20171127_185430.thumb.jpg.f2af977c68bcab7588d709e594a10213.jpg

Looking aft.

5a84f2dca122f_ResultaatLuchtafweerdekmet40mmBoforsdubbelloopsmitrailleursvankruiserHr_Ms.Java(1925-1942)_copy.thumb.jpg.841ff5920348528dd144d62458a1fabb.jpg

A photo of the Bofors AA gun deck looking forward, starboard side.

20180214_203947.thumb.jpg.7e33f72dfed90a0ef5115329c6d32760.jpg

The completed AA gun deck, painted and all, as it is on 02/ 14/2018. I forgot to take a few pics as I went along in November last year.

20180214_202541.thumb.jpg.451e2547ddb6c4e9b120fc0a3f76957c.jpg

Closeup pic of the aft housing on the AA gun deck.

20180214_202633.thumb.jpg.19cded4e37014e850b7ad9e9ccb56374.jpg

Closeup side view of the aft housing. There will be a small flag staff yet cemented to the aft side of this housing with the Dutch National Ensign.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

looking good in the progress dept Piet.   I'll be getting into some of that P.E. stuff myself soon.   can't wait to see the model in it's present stage ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

First of all my thanks to all for liking the build. I see familiar names too, welcome folks.

This post brings us to day 15, November 28, 2018.

Spend half this day chasing down the drive belt for my band saw, got a hold of the supplier and he was nice enough to send me the correct one, no charge. I did send him the wrong part back though, it's only a few bucks via regular post. My iMac computer is still at the fixit shop :(

Even with all that I did get a lot done. I cemented the railing to the lower level of the forward funnel housing and surprised myself how easy this one went. Tack it on in the middle and slowly worked my way around as soon as the tack has set.

Cemented the bands around the funnel as depicted in the installation picture. To be dressed down later. 

I decided to replace the forward machine gun deck supports with scratch build ones from 0.5 mm bamboo. to the funnel housing. 

I could now cement the funnel, machine gun deck and mast to the funnel housing. First I used slow cure epoxy cement, thinking that I needed extra time to keep everything in its proper position. Not a good idea because it was too slippery and very difficult to hold for that long of a time. When the cement had set I discovered that the funnel and mast had crept aft somewhat. So, I had to remove it, clean everything and went back to the CA.  I tried to keep the mast parallel to the funnel and had to remove some material from the forward side of the mast hole in the machine gun deck. Eye balling it it looked good as I put everything together with a few dabs of CA. Just hope it doesn't slip again, this CA gives me a little time before it grabs hold. 

Well, that's all for today and here are a few pics.

20171128_124636.thumb.jpg.a55a89aed1816ac9f0b29bab1f37a8dc.jpg

The forward funnel housing with the vent louvers.  Oh yeah, I cemented the rafts on both sides too. The railing is in a constant state of straightening because I keep bumping it, no matter how hard I try not to. Actually, I am not going to worry about it because I'll go over everything anyhow before its on the hull and ready for paint.

20171128_215718.thumb.jpg.08251c1a38d78aac23f3bd9c2307e258.jpg

A view looking aft. The light colored posts are my scratch build 0.5 mm bamboo posts.

20180217_193705.thumb.jpg.f8036b351a23e6dcac9d04d52a132c8c.jpg

This is a copy from my scratch build model drawings of the area I'm working on.

20171128_215647.thumb.jpg.3e916cae1d04e093196b204cc70b09b3.jpg

Top view of the assembly. I also cemented a small platform to the forward side of the funnel. I have no idea what's it for. Looks like possibly the antenna wiring leading into it or the little house between the funnel and the mast, for the radio operator??  Strange place for him, I'm most like wrong in my guess.

20180217_193754.thumb.jpg.a4ffd2845dd6b39d7f7ba42886fd8802.jpg

Top view of the area. Pic is taken from my scratch build model drawings.

20171128_215548.thumb.jpg.cc0fc023c4b74975e78af0bae52ddeca.jpg

Here is the side view as it was at the end of this day. I still have some cleaning up to do. The photo is at 3X the actual size, when looking at it in real life things look a lot better. Here is that little "house" with a slanted walkway to the top of it from the top of the funnel platform.  There is something not quite right with this assembly. The position of the machine gun deck is correct because the outboard support posts between the deck and it fit like glove. Either the funnel is too long and I I didn't notice it at first  or the side posts are too short, which i doubt. For now I 'll have to live with it.

20171128_215831.thumb.jpg.e3b6e9ae3342bcf3cbc1d47c93fe6197.jpg

This is the aft view looking forward.

20171128_215603.thumb.jpg.1a3e62acafa02176010c3e4afe857ff5.jpg

Another side view but at a smaller scale, only 2X magnification.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone and thanks for the likes.

This post brings us to Days 16, 17, 18 and 19, which brings us to December 04, 2018.

I could only spend a little time each day on this project. I cemented the railings on, the machine guns and range finder.  I had to repair one of the machine guns, it lost its barrel and I had to make one from bamboo, The same happened with the range finder so i made a new one, also from a small piece of wood and bamboo. 

I cemented the smoke deflector to the top of the funnel, the search light platform to the main mast, its railing and search light. That platform had also some very small support braces as well as the most top platform with the little "doghouse" with the antenna wire supports.

Cemented all particular PE parts to this sub-assembly as directed by the installation instructions.

The final tweaking of those parts that are in need of straightening out will be done when I'm ready to paint them. This will be done after I have painted the hull in camouflage colors. and have cemented all the superstructure to the hull.

This will complete this sub-assemble, more or less.

20180218_213651.thumb.jpg.2e299dceb057eeaa4101dd88c922991c.jpg

Part of the installation instructions for the assembly.

20171204_175025.thumb.jpg.a8483d9d3c8f40825107a29dfd2401c8.jpg

Top view of the completed assembly. Here you can see my scratch build range finder

20171204_175010.thumb.jpg.a7df6187fe1b033fb823387ae416045a.jpg

Another view from the rear.

20171204_174937.thumb.jpg.c3b7d9c219486d272b24fbac287a9fbd.jpg

Side view starboard side.

20171116_165945.thumb.jpg.2fceceb5fe6b283c61d3beccc651f036.jpg

This is a copy from my 1:50 scale scratch build drawings to show how it's supposed to look like.

20171204_175257.thumb.jpg.f88119055f449fdd3ccdeb312668ffc3.jpg

Another side view. The gun deck looks warped but it has slight droop to it. I tried it on the hull with the support posts under it and it comes to a nice flat deck.

20171127_131905_001.thumb.jpg.46ea6ceb2249851b5c33e2db08b464f8.jpg

This is a photo from the actual ship shoeing the detail brought into the model.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

your progress is coming along great!   nice work with all the extra detail.  very nice job!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you Denis and John for your kind remarks.

Yes, John, there are many tiny parts to be cemented to this ship. The problem with me taking the pics in high magnification makes the work look a but messy.  However, when seen at normal viewing distance with the paint on them they look rather acceptable to me.

This post id for Day 20, December 12, 2017.

In removing one of the search lights the pivot braces broke away from the light body. Now that I am ready for the aft mast, that has two of these buggers on it, I needed to see If I can use some fine brass wire for it but I can't find the part anywhere. Very odd because i have saved almost all the junk the actual parts were attached to for the mold process. So, I had to resort to scratch build a 1:350 scale search light. They are 4.5 mm in diameter and 3 mm wide.  

I scrounged a piece of hardwood dowel and hand sanded it close to size. With a small dentist bur in my small pencil type drill motor I "routed" the inset matching the kit part. Dressed that end with some fine sand paper. Next was to cut it off the dowel at 3 mm. I used my antique scroll saw with 80 teeth per inch. Again dressing that side with fine sand paper.

Now came the forming of the brace from brass wire and the base. I bend the ends to 90 degrees so I can insert them into the sides of the search light so it can swivel.

The base was also made from a piece of wood. I glued the assembly to the base with two part epoxy and let cure before I could dress the base down to match the kit part. I obviously painted it immediately and asked Gwen if she could tell which one was from the kit and which on is the home build one. I cheated though because I held the parts at arm length.  Only after some coaching she found it. In any case, I am happy with the search light and can continue with the aft mast.

I little paint and from regular viewing distance it'll be hard to tell the difference, if you don't know what to look for ;)

That was about all I could do this day.    

20171212_113446.thumb.jpg.a04f02feed003bdcb24387c7ebd00e96.jpg

The kit search light, 4.5 mm diameter.

20171212_113520.thumb.jpg.6fe209290b65a4a042adae531f2953f7.jpg

The dowel left in a slightly larger diameter to give me enough material to route the center with out the edges breaking off. The final diameter was achieved after the center was routed out.

20171212_113610.thumb.jpg.8b9d505a3ad3566571c4f067b12abea4.jpg

The dentist bur having done its job.

20171212_120113.thumb.jpg.cdb97e068975def2b6888fcc5794964c.jpg

The proto search light has been made to 4.5 mm diameter, the attaching brace holes drilled and the new part is ready for detaching from the dowel.  I first used the #11 blade to carefully whittle away most of the wood before using the scroll saw.

20171212_123754.thumb.jpg.7a5a6749ae8a4700e1d5dba13a8ce27d.jpg

The attaching brace is made and installed. Well, not quite the same but it'll have to do.

20171212_124754.thumb.jpg.a0cf24c3d55e202c7551c2e97b48cebb.jpg

I used a piece of box wood to make the base.

20171212_130335.thumb.jpg.32f5c2fcd3ada3ce85f37171986a224c.jpg

The search light is now cemented to the roughed out base with two part epoxy, ready be dressed down.

20171212_130828.thumb.jpg.6810f620c5523805e33baa58c9053ee5.jpg  The new search light is ready for paint.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

very resourceful Piet.........tiny parts can be a pain!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Why is there an axe in all your pics :)

It looks great. I thought 1:250 is small, but these parts are seriously tiny....Nice fix on the light. And I expect that you’ll find the missing one in a safe place where uou pit it, to make sure that uou won’t loose it ;)

Jan

Edited by amateur

...or he'll find it when doing something else.   most of the time,  parts are found when your not thinking of them.  when I was working on the Jeanne D'Arc,  I lost a part...obsessed like crazy to find it.  we ended up running out for an errand..........when I came home,  I went to the table and found it at a glance.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you Denis and Jan for dropping in. Hey Jan, if you mean my Exacto #11 blade?  That's for scale reference. I think all of us are familiar with that blade so you can gauge the size of the parts.

Well, i hope of still finding that errant search light, it can still be used but I'm not holding my breath though.

Thanks also to those who looked in and clicked the like button.

Okay, this post is for Days 21 and 22, which brings us to December 19, 2018.

The start of the aft mast. I removed most all of the indicated PE parts and drilled a hole in the deck for the mast. This way I can more securely cement the mast in place.

I cemented the lower ladder first to the mast then the lower and smaller platform. After the cement was cured enough I cemented the ladder to the upper search light platform.  Next was cementing the railing to the small lower platform.

This was all I could do for day 21.

On Day 22 I continued with the aft mast. I cemented the sear light platform to the mast and when the CA was cured enough I cemented the railing to it. According to my 1:50 scratch build drawings there is another ladder going up from the search light platform to the top of the mast. This is for the crew to get up for work on the antenna wire fixtures. but is not shown on the installation instructions.  I found a spare ladder and cemented that also to the mast. I'll wait with the antenna attaching spreader on the top of mast till much later to prevent it from being damaged.

I also cemented both search lights to the platform.  This completes the aft mast and is now ready for paint. I'll install it when I'm ready for all the deck housings to be cemented to the hull.

I also cemented the deck to the most forward deck house where the #2 15 cm gun will be placed.

That reminds me to start thinking of painting the hull with camouflage colors and the deck with wood color. I am actually looking forward to this because that means I'm ready to cement all the deck structures to the hull.

20180219_220251.thumb.jpg.4d8148373674c0f7995ec272f4c97f91.jpg

The instruction picture for the aft mast. I did cement #86 to mast but boom and rigging.

20171220_122432.thumb.jpg.946f6e667022023c383bb1ed7e016b2b.jpg

The aft mast partially completed and her you can see my home build search light.

20171220_122533.thumb.jpg.e80d09eea6f73652fab1eb7d4e36b260.jpg

Another shot of the mast with me holding it.

5a8f845b9e84e_KruiserHr_Ms.Java(1925-1942)1925.thumb.jpg.3cb650919c9df7b2c40e033ebe5242c0.jpg

This is a photo just before the six pom poms were replaced with the four Bofors, around 1937.

5a8f845eb1104_Partiallycollapsed120mmsearchlightontheseabedbesidetheupperforemastDenlay_gjavacopy.jpg.086e5802c4a72410dd0c085eee217002.jpg

This is a picture Kevin Denlay too on his second dive to the wreck. It's a search light, or what's left of it, laying on the sea bed. He says it's from the main mast. You can well imagine how big a blast that must have been to do damage that far forward.

Cheers,

20171224_171822.jpg

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'd say this is a milestone Piet........no doubt about it  ;)    truly awesome!  I see some dark haze on the hull......did you camo it already,  or is it a lighting thing?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great from here, Piet.  I'm wagering that the searchlight will turn up just after you have painted and/or installed the mast.  Seems that things work that way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work, Piet. Interesting design.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild